PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I gotta ask: Anyone train with weighted weapons?

IronFist
06-19-2001, 09:25 AM
This forum is slowing down, and seeing as how most people here are MA, you would think that the "training" forum would always be busy. Anyway, here is my question.

Does anyone train with one of those eyebrow height weighted staffs? Either the iron kind, or the kind with openings at the end where you can put weight in? How has it benefitted you?

Anyone else use weighted weapons? I don't mean "standard" weapons when compared with that flimsly ass wushu shìt, I mean like weapons that were designed to be heavier, just to build strength. There was some legendary kung fu guy who had a 108lb kwan do, right? Something like that, except maybe not 108lbs.

Post your experiences, thoughts.

Iron

Julian Dale
06-19-2001, 10:52 AM
Working with heavy weapons, is spot on, one you realy can combine the six harmonies and bring unfied power into play, adding a heavy weapon helps to take your skill to a different level. I try to get combat grade steel weapons in weight of teh blade and body of the weapon.
They improve stamina as a start, but rooting, transmision of power to the extremities. Trying to get ging in these weapons is bloddy hard work and tajkes time. Go and use a wu shu weapon and you will probably snap it within two seconds

Sil Lum Palm
06-19-2001, 04:48 PM
I don't really use a "weighted" weapon, but I do use a much heavier staff than most people when I practice. The staff I like to use is made from White Oak or something similar but is about as heavy as three of the staffs at my school. I have to do my forms and drills a little slower, but it makes up for it when I go into the school and wield a lighter staff. I have found that being used to the heavier staff makes me a little faster and helps my technique. It also gives a great workout.
and wasn't is General Kwan Dao that wielded the 100+ pound Kwan Dao?

Ben Gash
06-21-2001, 12:04 AM
My old Wuzhuquan teacher used to have this HUGE Quan dao that must have weighed 80-100lbs.
One of my Nan Sil Lum Sifu's students also has some pretty heavy quan dao and horsecutters.

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu

SevenStar
06-21-2001, 06:35 AM
I am getting ready to purchase an 11lb. staff, and my sifu trains with a 25lb kwan dao.

-SevenStar©
Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

Ling Qiaozhi
07-06-2001, 08:37 AM
I practice my sword play with a 2.5 close to 3lb straight sword for many years and I would not have any way the sword form I practice is the kun wu jian

Wah
07-06-2001, 11:27 AM
i'm pretty sure it was general kwan with the 100lb kwan dao...but you should try practicing with a metal fan if you know any fan sets...that thing will build up your tendons, and wrist and arms at the same time

Beth S.
07-07-2001, 08:07 PM
Right now I'm on vacation at my folks' house, away from both my jian and my wooden practice jian, so I'm practicing with my dad's double swords inside their sheath. The sheath is pretty heavy, and it's turning out to be great training. The only thing is that I'm slower with it because of the added weight, so once I get back with my practice partner, I'm sure I'll return to my regular wooden practice sword for 2-person practice. (But I think I'll continue using something good and heavy for solo practice.)

Olethros
07-14-2001, 04:03 PM
My Sifu will routinely bring a 6 foot iron bar to class. He has us go through our stick forms with it, and it's a heckuva workout.

I train with combat steel weapons for the weight. After just finishing up a long set of broadsword forms, I picked up a Wushu broadsword that subseuently felt like aluminum foil It was great. After training with weighted weapons, Wushu weapons make you fel like Will Smith on MiB, "I feel like I'm gonna break this thing."

Lost_Disciple
07-14-2001, 09:49 PM
I picked up a 7 foot tall hollow iron or steel pipe from Home Depot. It's normally used for plumbing. I'm pretty sure it's over 30 pounds. I use it for all my double ended staff forms, and have tried with the forms that are designed for the staff that tapers at one end (can't remember the name), but some of those get way too hard. It totally built up my endurance and strength, it also taught me the right body mechanics to get that thing swinging at a decent speed. I recommend it to anyone.