PDA

View Full Version : End a Fight Quickly

Yoshiyahu
12-29-2011, 05:15 PM
In Wing Chun the motive is to end a fight quickly!

Your not standing taking blow for blow, no feinting or trying to constantly evade your opponent by moving out of distance...

You instantly go in an attack first, hard and fast until the opponent is no more!!!

Are their any other combat or martial arts systems with the same principle in mind?

If so what are they and their methodolgy!?

YouKnowWho
12-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Quick is a "relative" term and not an "absolute" term. Your own safety is still more important. To cut your opponent's head off at the same time your opponent cuts your arm off may not be a smart exchange.

Chadderz
12-30-2011, 10:08 AM
It's pretty much the objective to end every fight as quickly as possible, no?

Lucas
12-30-2011, 12:06 PM
imo one of the best things you can do is identify the situation quickly, and strike pre-emptively. if i know something is going down, i will not be waiting for the other guy to make a move, i want to force him to react to me. i want the initiative when ever possible. move in quickly, keep the pressure on, give as little room for recovery as possible. hit first, hit hard, hit multiple times, if they get dazed i say go for a throw to finish if you dont ko them, or drop them with strikes. its my personal preference, when ever possible, to attack before they have a guard ready or are even expecting it.

however, there is a fine line between; is it ok for me to attack now; is he really going to throw down with me now; is this guy going to become violent; etc. so it really becomes a case by case scenario that depends on your personal judgment and comfort levels of initiating violence.

Shaolin
12-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Are their any other combat or martial arts systems with the same principle in mind?

Yes. All of them.

It's not Wing Chun's philosophy to end the fight quickly, it's what your instructor has instilled in you.

A question like this leads me to believe you probably haven't been studying very long, nor have you studied much outside your particular brand of martial art.

Keep an open mind and study as much as possible about as much as possible.

Yoshiyahu
12-31-2011, 01:19 AM
Yes. All of them.

It's not Wing Chun's philosophy to end the fight quickly, it's what your instructor has instilled in you.

A question like this leads me to believe you probably haven't been studying very long, nor have you studied much outside your particular brand of martial art.

Keep an open mind and study as much as possible about as much as possible.

lol...so sports fighting train to end the fight quickly?

or do they train to stick and move and wait for an opening?

TenTigers
12-31-2011, 09:47 AM

if you were to fight Mike Tyson, would you stick and move, cover and wait for an opening?
If so, where should we send the flowers? ;)

Chadderz
12-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Yeah, actually they are. Contrary to popular belief, fighters from all combat sports rarely want to "put on a show", it's just that there opponent can actually fight back, thus, the hesitation to just brawl.

Fa Xing
12-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah, actually they are. Contrary to popular belief, fighters from all combat sports rarely want to "put on a show", it's just that there opponent can actually fight back, thus, the hesitation to just brawl.

Not all fighters will agree with that, I've met a few who going in there will be looking to put on show. It is entertainment to a degree, and they hope to maintain their careers as long as possible. You do that by entertaining the crowd which will entertain the promotors.

Chadderz
12-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Not all fighters will agree with that, I've met a few who going in there will be looking to put on show. It is entertainment to a degree, and they hope to maintain their careers as long as possible. You do that by entertaining the crowd which will entertain the promotors.

True, but for the most part, they want to win, preferably without getting injured, right?

Fa Xing
12-31-2011, 01:22 PM
True, but for the most part, they want to win, preferably without getting injured, right?

Of course, who wouldn't, but it's much better to do it with style :D :cool:.

Yoshiyahu
12-31-2011, 04:31 PM

So true i agree!!!

Oh really...so the going in and out. feinting and sticking and moving strategem is about ending the fight quickly?

if you were to fight Mike Tyson, would you stick and move, cover and wait for an opening?
If so, where should we send the flowers? ;)

I would just shoot mike tyson how about you...Mike Tyson fighting style is like Wing Chun. He goes directly ends and destroys the target until he is no more...

Look at some of his fights against bigger and stronger opponents!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v0vl6iTlC4

Chadderz
01-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Mike Tyson fighting style is like Wing Chun. He goes directly ends and destroys the target until he is no more...

No it's not, it's a boxing style. Also, Mike won fights, as far as I'm aware, that is yet to happen with Wing Chun ^^

Frost
01-03-2012, 02:25 AM
Jesus not another mike Tyson is wing chun thread, please he has never trained the three forms, never touched a dummy in his life and doesn’t know one end of a pole from another…and yet is brought up again and again as how wing chun should look in a fight, maybe if all the wing chun guys dropped the forms and the dummy and started hitting the pads and heavy bag they to would be able to do wing chun properly like mike does

As for the actual original question its retarded all arts look to finish the opponent as quickly as possible, its why boxers trained the one two hoping to drop the guy with a hard right, its why Thai guys train hard elbows and knees in small combinations, to drop the guys so quickly he cant do anything to you, and why wrestlers train the blast double to drop you on your head, the thing is when the opponent is actually fighting back and not just standing there being a training dummy, when he is full of adrenaline and is used to taking hard shots its simply fecking hard to actually do :rolleyes:

Chadderz
01-03-2012, 03:29 AM
Jesus not another mike Tyson is wing chun thread, please he has never trained the three forms, never touched a dummy in his life and doesn’t know one end of a pole from another…and yet is brought up again and again as how wing chun should look in a fight, maybe if all the wing chun guys dropped the forms and the dummy and started hitting the pads and heavy bag they to would be able to do wing chun properly like mike does

As for the actual original question its retarded all arts look to finish the opponent as quickly as possible, its why boxers trained the one two hoping to drop the guy with a hard right, its why Thai guys train hard elbows and knees in small combinations, to drop the guys so quickly he cant do anything to you, and why wrestlers train the blast double to drop you on your head, the thing is when the opponent is actually fighting back and not just standing there being a training dummy, when he is full of adrenaline and is used to taking hard shots its simply fecking hard to actually do :rolleyes:

How do I +rep you? :D

Fa Xing
01-03-2012, 08:59 PM

I actually agree with you but only in the idea that fighters in general, as all martial artists should, train to end it asap. However, my point was that there are some who want to put on a show, or even to score points (ie play it safe) rather than just go in guns blazing.

Yao Sing
01-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Maybe that's their way of "ending it fast". I mean, how fast should fast be?

If fast is 'as soon as you can' then they're "ending it fast".

m1k3
01-04-2012, 11:27 AM
I actually agree with you but only in the idea that fighters in general, as all martial artists should, train to end it asap. However, my point was that there are some who want to put on a show, or even to score points (ie play it safe) rather than just go in guns blazing.

That's because a one size fits all approach to fighting is not a very good or smart one. In a sporting event it is to win the match using the rules.

For example Mike Tyson was a swarmer, unless you are a stronger, faster, more aggressive swarmer you would be a fool to fight him like that. Mike Tyson shared a very similar style to Joe Frazier. Joe could take your head off with one punch. But, he had trouble with boxers like Ali and lots of problems with big strong power punchers like Foreman. Again, one size fits all, doesn't.

Faruq
01-04-2012, 11:46 AM

Your not standing taking blow for blow, no feinting or trying to constantly evade your opponent by moving out of distance...

You instantly go in an attack first, hard and fast until the opponent is no more!!!

If so what are they and their methodolgy!?

Great Grandmaster James Lacy says that the Asian master who took him on as a closed door disciple told him if you can't end a fight in 4 moves, you and your opponent should both dedicate yourselves to something else....

Chadderz
01-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Great Grandmaster James Lacy says that the Asian master who took him on as a closed door disciple told him if you can't end a fight in 4 moves, you and your opponent should both dedicate yourselves to something else....

Well that's a stupid expression. We can't do it in four moves so we might as well give up?

And what, he knows better 'cause he's Asian?

Lucas
01-04-2012, 03:44 PM
'could' finish people in one move, as long as they just stand there and let you.

the issue is when you have two competent fighters going at each other, it is either going to end very quickly, or it will be prolonged.

you could have the two very best fighters in the world fight each other, and there would be a pretty good chance that fight is going to go the distance.

by that mindset the best fighters in the world should change professions...

Faruq
01-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Well that's a stupid expression. We can't do it in four moves so we might as well give up?

And what, he knows better 'cause he's Asian?

I am incensed that you dare question the authority of Great Grandmaster James P Lacey and his Asian master! I demand that you apologize immediately! His master was Asian, and you dare defy him???? This is blasphemy!!!

Chadderz
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
I am incensed that you dare question the authority of Great Grandmaster James P Lacey and his Asian master! I demand that you apologize immediately! His master was Asian, and you dare defy him???? This is blasphemy!!!

I take it he's a running joke around here then? ^^

Faruq
01-05-2012, 11:47 AM
I take it he's a running joke around here then? ^^

You got me, lol. Joke's over.

Chadderz
01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
You got me, lol. Joke's over.

Haha, I was wondering :p

Lucas
01-05-2012, 01:40 PM
frackin jokers :p

dirtyrat
01-06-2012, 01:04 PM

Are their any other combat or martial arts systems with the same principle in mind?If so what are they and their methodolgy!?

maybe krav maga...

Counter attacking as soon as possible (or attacking preemptively).
Targeting attacks to the body's most vulnerable points such as the eyes, jaw, throat, groin, knee, etc.
Neutralizing the opponent as quickly as possible by responding with an unbroken stream of counter attacks and if necessary a take down/joint break.
Maintaining awareness of surroundings while dealing with the threat in order to look for escape routes, further attackers, objects that could be used to defend or help attack and so on.

one of my favorite krav maga vids. the endings a big one. lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H7gB3Em1NU