PDA

View Full Version : Killer Elite

GeneChing
01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Remember the original? Well, that's the martial tie. This new film only shares the title; it's based on a different story.

Nevertheless, enter to win a KILLER ELITE BLU-RAY/DVD COMBO PACK (http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html)! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 01/12/2011. Good luck everyone!

hskwarrior
01-02-2012, 10:27 AM
My older brothers karate teacher (rick alemany) was in the movie. my older bro and my father used to be on set as they filmed the original.

GeneChing
01-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Note that the 2011 Killer Elite is different than the 1975 one. It's not a remake. The 2011 is based on The Feather Men by Sir Ranulph Fiennes. The 1975 one is adapted from Monkey in the Middle by Robert Syd Hopkins. It's just an unfortunate coincidence of title.

hskwarrior
01-02-2012, 11:26 AM
oh wow didn't know that....right on

Jimbo
01-03-2012, 10:18 AM
I remember the original Killer Elite, that it had Gini Lau, Tak Kubota, Danny Inosanto, and a bunch of other MAists working on it, but that Inosanto was quoted as saying that most of the MA stuff was cut out of it, including some Choy Lee Fut, which he said was a shame. I did see it once, but don't remember much of it.

GeneChing
01-03-2012, 12:15 PM
They only share titles.

But yea, I remember when the '75 film came out. It made a huge splash in the martial arts mags. KE was the great white hope for martial arts in Hollywood movies. I've heard that a lot of the fight footage was left on the cutting room floor too. Wonder if any of that was saved. That would make for an interesting director's cut. The finale was filmed at the Ghost fleet in Suisun Bay, which is near to S.F. Every time I drive past that, I think of that film. It's been a long time since I've seen it too. Maybe I should revisit it soon.

Anyone here seen Killer Elite 2011?

Lokhopkuen
01-06-2012, 08:13 AM
I remember the original Killer Elite, that it had Gini Lau, Tak Kubota, Danny Inosanto, and a bunch of other MAists working on it, but that Inosanto was quoted as saying that most of the MA stuff was cut out of it, including some Choy Lee Fut, which he said was a shame. I did see it once, but don't remember much of it.

Ahh but they kept James Caan aping tai chi chuan with the great master Kou Lien Ying:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgTuubaRD1Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ben Gash
01-08-2012, 02:29 PM
My old training brother was an extra in this one :)

doug maverick
01-08-2012, 03:27 PM
its should be noted that THE KILLER ELITE and KILLER ELITE are two unrelated movies..killer elite isnt a remake of the killer elite.

doug maverick
01-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Ahh but they kept James Caan aping tai chi chuan with the great master Kou Lien Ying:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgTuubaRD1Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

didnt see any tai chi...saw some hapkido cane techniques...

GeneChing
01-16-2012, 05:20 PM
See our Killer Elite Combo Pack winners (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1153280) thread.

Lokhopkuen
01-17-2012, 10:06 AM
I saw it;
The fights are pretty intense,
Dinero's star power was wasted in this role,
The technical advisor should be beaten with a bundle of sharpened wire hangers,
The director was stoned:D

GeneChing
10-16-2012, 04:08 PM
So this was the new one based on the Feather Men, released last year, not the classic one with the ninjas. We did a sweepstakes promo for it and they send us a screener, so I've had it on DVD for some time, gathering dust. But it is also available on netflix stream, so I figured I better watch it. Finally, finally, I got around to it.

It took me several nights because I kept falling asleep, more so because I was tired than because it was boring. KE features Jason Statham, who I've never really liked and have no rational reason for not liking him, and DeNiro, who I worship, both playing jaded assassins in the Middle East being tracked down by Clive Owen, who I always mistake for someone who has played James Bond, but he hasn't, has he? Why do I think that he did? KE has some good ultravi, gritty fights and machine gun play, and a little parkour. It's ok. A tad too much Statham and not enough DeNiro. DeNiro has a funny scene early where he's describing local cuisine "tastes like ****" over and over, and there's just something so DeNiro about it. I'd be entertained watching him read a menu for an Italian restaurant. All in all, not a bad flick, but I kept hoping for some ninja sword fights.