PDA

View Full Version : clicking joints

dmsdc
06-21-2001, 07:34 PM
Besides drinking more water - what are some helpful training hints to help keep joints from clicking? (qigong, diet, sleep, medidation...)

Cheers,
Dana

Brian_CA
06-21-2001, 07:50 PM
Hi Dana,

First off if the joints cause you pain for more then 5-10 seconds after the click, go see a doctor. It may be something serious. It never hurts to be be sure.

However, if the joints just click then the need fresh oxygen and nutrition. Make sure that your diet is well balanced for your bdoy. Also you need to stretch properly. Find someone in your area that is qualifed to teach you on the subject. FYI, ask alot of questions regarding their knowledge and experience. Make sure that they are certified to teach proper stretching. I would not recommend most personal trainers unless the have some kind of specialized certification (ie, yoga certification.). Be careful on who you choose. Improper stretching can damage your body even worse.

Hope this helps,

Brian
San Francisco, CA

IronFist
06-22-2001, 01:25 AM
Dude, as long as I can remember my knees have always clicked when I bend them all the way. It probably didn't help any tho that I used to be a hockey goalie, and was always falling on them to make saves (but **** was I a good goalie!).

I agree with Brian's Advice. If the pops don't cause any pain, it's probably nothing bad. Talk to your doctor maybe.

Beware of certifications, tho. Of all the "certified personal trainers" i know, maybe 1/10th of 1% know thier ****e. (not including, me, of course, since i obviously know my ****e :) )

Good luck tho. On Matt Furey's website someone was talking about their knees used to pop and hurt and then they started doing hindu squats and now they're all better, but who knows. It might just be marketing.

Iron

qeySuS
06-27-2001, 04:34 AM
Clicking joints have a very easy solution. There is a thread we had about this earlier and me and another guy (cant remember his name) both had this problem and we both started taking Cod oil pills/tablets and within a week i could do all the high kicks and such (i'm assuming a major factor is the clicks in yuor thighs when you do a high kick). The cod oil lubricates your joints so to speak i am told, and it worked wonders for me. This is also known as "Lýsi" in Icelandic and is considdered to be a VERY healthy all over supplement, been eaten here for many houndred years.

Free thinkers are dangerous.

IronFist
06-27-2001, 08:14 AM
Dana, your joints click. Are you skinny? I have a theory.

Fat has been long known to help "lubricate" the joints. Ectomorphs have genetically less fat, so maybe that's why the joints click.

I dunno, I'm talking out of my arse right now.

Iron's arse

stubbs
07-05-2001, 08:07 PM
cod liver oil tablets have done me wonders.

don't go for cheap varieties though, i changed from a brand that worked for me to a cheaper brand and the clicking returned, as soon as i changed back, the clicking stopped again. apparently cheaper brands have a different type of coating and the body doesn't recognise the oil as being needed so it just gets flushed out of your system. also pure varieties tend to work better than ones with added vitimins etc.

"satisfaction loses, humility gains"

dmsdc
07-05-2001, 10:20 PM
I'm yer classic mesomorph. (sp?)

I have one shoulder - left - that clicks like a big dog. I tried the cod liver oil thing - maybe I need to try a better brand.

Remember when it was cool to carry your back-pack on 1 shoulder??? After many years of many books it now clicks constantly.

It only hurts if I try to lift -- I have no idea what the move is called -- but it's the same movement you do with your arms in a jumping jack except you stop when your arm is parallel to the floor. If I do that movement with any weight - my shoulder is very sad.

Dana

"I have been in
sorrow's kitchen and
licked out all the pots.
Then I have stood on
the peaky mountain
wrapped in rainbows,
with a harp and a
sword in my hands." -
Zora Neale Hurston

Fish of Fury
07-06-2001, 02:01 PM
you could consider Manganese supplements
(this will often be in combination with other minerals like calcium,magnesium etc)

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

Brian_CA
07-07-2001, 08:10 PM
Dana,

If you don't mind me asking, what's your diet like? Are you drinking lots of soda or coffee? Are you eating any pasta and bread on a regular basis? Do you drink at least 2 liters of water every day? Is your vision impaired (Do you wear corrective lenses)? Have experienced any other health issues in the last 5 years? Have you seen a doctor about your shoulder? If so, what did he or she say? Has the noise been getting worse over time?

If the answer to most the questions above are yes, then it may be your liver and or bladder. Your internal organs may need a little help functioning. You also may need to good beginner stretching routine. Find someone good in your area. Get personal help on this one, don't buy a tape. Get qualified instruction in the beginning. So you can get a feel for what you need to do to heal yourself. Look real hard to find one in your area. There is always someone good almost every area.

Good luck,

Brian
San Francisco, CA

IronFist
07-07-2001, 09:34 PM
"I'm yer classic mesomorph. (sp?)
I have one shoulder - left - that clicks like a big dog. I tried the cod liver oil thing - maybe I need to try a better brand.

Hmm, scratch the skinny theory.

Remember when it was cool to carry your back-pack on 1 shoulder??? After many years of many books it now clicks constantly.

Yeah, sometimes I notice that my right shoulder is higher than my left because of this. I don't think clicking is a result, tho. See, women get this same problem, if they always carry their purse on the same shoudler, eventually that trapezius muscles will become tense and sometimes that shoulder will end up resting a little bit higher than the other one (because the trap is tense(contratraced)). Actually, this one girl on my floor last year told me that one of my traps is bigger than the other one, but she was just trying to give me a complex :P

It only hurts if I try to lift -- I have no idea what the move is called -- but it's the same movement you do with your arms in a jumping jack except you stop when your arm is parallel to the floor. If I do that movement with any weight - my shoulder is very sad.

That's called a shoulder fly. Dude check your form. 99% of people I see do that exercise wrong, including many trainers who I see teach it, teach that movement wrong.

Here are some tips, so you can keep doing that exercise:

1: WARM UP your shoulder. I used to occasionally get a shoulder slip pain doing that exercise, but ever since I've started warming up thouroughly my deltoids before I begin that exercise, I haven't had any problems (English majors how did you like that sentense :P )

2: Don't go too heavy on that exercise. Until your shoudler feels better, don't use a weight that's heavier than 10 reps. What does that mean? If you can't do at least 10 reps, the weight is too heavy. Once your shoulder becomes accustomed to it, then you can go heavier (less reps).

3: If your shoulder hurts when you're not working out (ie. like right now when you're reading this), DON'T use weights until it's better.

It's not worth anything to injure your shoulder. Be careful.

Iron