PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun philosophy on how an opponent will attack?

LaterthanNever
01-05-2012, 07:40 PM
I am curious to know if there is a consensus answer in Ip Man lineage WC as to how the style assesses how an opponent will attack.

By this I mean..when one compares this determination with other arts that is. Some styles of kung fu state that if one wants to observe how an opponent will attack to "observe their center". Another master states(of a different style) that if you want to observe how an opponent will attack, to "observe his eyes".

In the book "The Wing Chun compendium", sifu Belenoha (spelling?) states that one should look in the direction of the hands but not at them.

I believe that there may be a statement that states something of one should observe the opponents elbows? Then again, I freely admit that the one year of WC I learned(almost 20 years ago) does not make me the best representative of voicing WC strategy.

Hence, that is why I am here. To glean information from those who have more WC experience than I(which I am pretty sure would be everyone on this WC sub-forum).

Thanks.

Cheers,
LTN

lance
01-06-2012, 02:00 AM
I am curious to know if there is a consensus answer in Ip Man lineage WC as to how the style assesses how an opponent will attack.

By this I mean..when one compares this determination with other arts that is. Some styles of kung fu state that if one wants to observe how an opponent will attack to "observe their center". Another master states(of a different style) that if you want to observe how an opponent will attack, to "observe his eyes".

In the book "The Wing Chun compendium", sifu Belenoha (spelling?) states that one should look in the direction of the hands but not at them.

I believe that there may be a statement that states something of one should observe the opponents elbows? Then again, I freely admit that the one year of WC I learned(almost 20 years ago) does not make me the best representative of voicing WC strategy.

Hence, that is why I am here. To glean information from those who have more WC experience than I(which I am pretty sure would be everyone on this WC sub-forum).

Thanks.

Cheers,
LTN To me anybody who practices WC will have their own individual philosophy . This is just my own philosophy of WC , the opponent will attack you when you ' re not ready or at your most vulnerable time . And if you ' re not there to defend yourself then you ' re in trouble , already . Unless , just when the opponent moves in on you , you ' re in on him already . But if you don ' t move into your opponent he ' s going yo try and take control over you , and you ' re in trouble . Depending on what he ' s going to do against you , though . You really don ' t know how what you ' re opponent is going to attack you , you just got to react to it .

Phil Redmond
01-06-2012, 06:21 AM
In a sucker punch, blindside, etc., attack you only have your reaction time. But if you're squared off whether in the ring or street there are methods to train to get an idea of which weapon is going to be used by an opponent.

Yoshiyahu
01-06-2012, 06:28 PM
If your doing Wing Chun...why wait or anticipate your opponents attack...

Wing Chun is not like Akikido or Tai Chi...its not defensive.

Instead of trying to think about how he will attack you and how you will react...why not just attack and react to what he does as your hitting him!

The best defense is a strong offense!!!

In other words

Attack first to gain control!

imperialtaichi
01-06-2012, 07:27 PM
In a sucker punch, blindside, etc., attack you only have your reaction time. But if you're squared off whether in the ring or street there are methods to train to get an idea of which weapon is going to be used by an opponent.

The best way to deal with a sucker punch is to build yourself a 32 inch thick neck.

One of the Kung Fu teachers in Sydney got whacked with a steel pipe on the back of his head while walking down the main street with friends. His first response was to turn around and screamed "Who Hit Me!" :D

Ah yes, he does have a 32 inch thick neck.

Phil Redmond
01-06-2012, 08:19 PM
The best way to deal with a sucker punch is to build yourself a 32 inch thick neck.

One of the Kung Fu teachers in Sydney got whacked with a steel pipe on the back of his head while walking down the main street with friends. His first response was to turn around and screamed "Who Hit Me!" :D

Ah yes, he does have a 32 inch thick neck.
I've been sucker punched before so I know the feeling. :(

LaterthanNever
01-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Thank you all for your well thought out responses!

Concerning what was said regarding "if you're waiting for an attack, you're not doing WC"(paraphrasing here)..

and being sucker punched..

Both are valid points..

I guess to rephrase my question...what I am more curious about is..

Is there a philosophy which makes WC different from other arts philosophies(such as the ones I mentioned initially) as far as..

let us say..for instance that one was doing some friendly sparring(not sticky hands though) with another person.

Lets also say that opponent B was doing either WC or perhaps even a different style..

Lets say Hung Kuen..it could be Tae Kwan Do or even Shotokan Karate..I don't care...

What is the predominate philosophy on how to read how opponent B will attack? (again..this is a friendly light to moderate sparring match..so lets just say that one isn't in the scenario of leaving a party or club,etc. and therefore opponent A is less likely to be "sucker punched"(though I appreciate the thought just the same),)

Is it: read the direction of the eyes? Observe his/her center and how it will move? Observe the shoulders? Elbows? What?

Thank you.

Respects,
LTN

Lee Chiang Po
01-06-2012, 10:09 PM
When you are expecting someone to make a move on you, the eyes usually tell you his intentions, but you need to watch his hands. Periphery sp? But most people will give it away that way. A sucker punch is just that and if you are aware that it could be a possibility, never allow anyone to get close to your side or behind you. I have had a few of these in my time, but I learned that a sucker puncher is afraid of you to some extent and needs to build his balls up first, and you can catch him staring at you when he thinks you are not looking.
The thing to do is once you feel you are not going to be able to talk your way out of it, make your move first.

anerlich
01-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Lot of different philosophies with different lineages and practitioners, as you have apparently found out already.

For the sparring situation you allude to, my lineage advocates watching elbows and knees because they usually move slower than the extremities. you can't really concentrate on all four points at the same time, though, just a general awareness or something ot do more in training than actual sparring, let alone fighting.

In general, don't "watch" anything in particular too closely. Don't stare into his eyes because you will engage the emotions and that slows down your reaction time. Keep a fairly soft gaze around the middle of his chest and let your peripheral vision pick up any movement he makes.

Best way to see what works is to put on some gear and spar. Doesn't have to be heavy. But you'll find out what works best far better than you will by asking strangers on the interwebz.

k gledhill
01-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Thank you all for your well thought out responses!

Concerning what was said regarding "if you're waiting for an attack, you're not doing WC"(paraphrasing here)..

and being sucker punched..

Both are valid points..

I guess to rephrase my question...what I am more curious about is..

Is there a philosophy which makes WC different from other arts philosophies(such as the ones I mentioned initially) as far as..

let us say..for instance that one was doing some friendly sparring(not sticky hands though) with another person.

Lets also say that opponent B was doing either WC or perhaps even a different style..

Lets say Hung Kuen..it could be Tae Kwan Do or even Shotokan Karate..I don't care...

What is the predominate philosophy on how to read how opponent B will attack? (again..this is a friendly light to moderate sparring match..so lets just say that one isn't in the scenario of leaving a party or club,etc. and therefore opponent A is less likely to be "sucker punched"(though I appreciate the thought just the same),)

Is it: read the direction of the eyes? Observe his/her center and how it will move? Observe the shoulders? Elbows? What?

Thank you.

Respects,
LTN

Here is a clip of WSL showing some easy ways to read movement and certain guidelines. WSL CLIP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr74wVBi5rY&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLF75D807CE08486DF)

Yoshiyahu
01-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Personally if i was going to wait for my opponent to make a move.

I would watch his entire body if he wasnt with in range. I would what his form and shape....

When it moves close enough for me to bridge. I would then strike his posture, shape or form. an continuously strike it! I would immediately just charge forth!