PDA

View Full Version : Footwork and Stance Exercises

hulkout
01-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Just wondering what kinds of exercises people do to strengthen their footwork and stance. I'm always looking for new drills. My regular exercises are

1) Slow Sil Lim Tao to start the workout and to train the Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma
2) Stepping in from natural stance
2) Shifting and Stepping, I shift twice and step in on the third beat.
3) Shift 90 degrees and then return to stance (Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma)
3) Punching in lead stance, Advance with double punch, Retreat with double punch
4) Huen Ma or Circular Step

If anyone has any other drills or variations on these ones, let me know. I'm always open to learning different things including other lineages. I may be from Yip Man lineage, but that doesn't mean his is the only one or that I can't learn from someone else.

EternalSpring
01-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Ooh, here's one that I think is very helpful, at least for me...

"stance switching drill" (name i just made up lol, hope this comes out clear)

Stand in Chum Kiu Mah with either leg forward, with a "tiny" hop if you need it, shift the hips so that the front leg becomes the back leg and the back leg is the new front leg (the direction you're facing does not change). Focus heavily on the hips and try not to turn your upper body. Then once you get the hang of this, do it and after each switch take a step forward and then back and repeat. Add attacks whenever you feel comfortable.

hulkout
01-07-2012, 10:16 AM
I just got out of my chair and tried it. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. When you're in a left lead stance (left leg forward), do you bring your left foot back to your right foot and then bring your right foot forward or do you take a small jump and switch in midair?

k gledhill
01-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Seung ma ~ toi ma drills .

wingchunIan
01-09-2012, 10:06 AM
walking the square is a staple. My other favourite drill is to get two lines on the floor (like the ones in school gyms) about 6-8 inches apart, toe the line and then to a single count biu ma to the other line and back again keeping the weight in the right place / under control. The drill can be done in reverse and is a killer but really good for explosive footpwork.
loads and loads of partner drills as well.

anerlich
01-09-2012, 05:46 PM
jump rope.

sprints.

agility ladder and related drills (hops, carioca, etc.)

Get a partner, each grab an 18 inch length of plastic pool noodle. Each try and whack the other guy on the shins without getting hit yourself. This really makes you quick on your feet.