PDA

View Full Version : TKD VS Baji - Taiwan

B.Tunks
01-12-2012, 03:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_PPW0X-628

David Jamieson
01-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Yeah, I got an idea, lets put some doughy guy in the ring with another guy who is obviously spending more time training and conditioning and see where that goes.

:rolleyes:

lol

No defense of either here, but this demo was simply a waste of time and shows us once again that there is value in fitness, mindfulness and skill development.

mooyingmantis
01-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Baji player got a nice sacrifice throw in at 00:30, but recovered bad and TKD player took good advantage of it.

This fight was a good example of why you should not wait passively for a more aggressive fighter to attack. Counter-fighting is always one step behind the action, unless you are fighting a "one hit wonder" strategy fighter. IMO, Counter-fighting doesn't work well against a fighter with good combinations.

sanjuro_ronin
01-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Baji player got a nice sacrifice throw in at 00:30, but recovered bad and TKD player took good advantage of it.

This fight was a good example of why you should not wait passively for a more aggressive fighter to attack. Counter-fighting is always one step behind the action, unless you are fighting a "one hit wonder" strategy fighter. IMO, Counter-fighting doesn't work well against a fighter with good combinations.

I think that sometime fighters "forget" that counter-striking isn't done AFTER the opponent attacks but When and even BEFORE he does.
The old adage of " the opponent stars but you arrive before him".

omarthefish
01-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Well that was cringeworthy. . .

pwned by TKD!!! :D

*sigh*

Seriously, the dude was not "counterstriking", he was just in over his head and with fitness too poor to do this sort of thing. I also think that calling the two of them clinching and falling over...."a nice sacrifice throw" is pretty darn generous. I call it, "two guys clinching and falling over". ;)

I just saw an unprepared fighter getting steamrolled by his opponent.

I'm also not familiar with which branch of TKD teaches RNC, ground and pound and so on. :p

sanjuro_ronin
01-12-2012, 08:03 AM
There is a "MMA" movement in a certain system of TKD, but it is a recent thing, maybe over the last 10 years or so.
Forget the name.
Doesn't matter anyways because the video was simply a better fighter ( skill and conditioning) beating a weaker fighter.
Styles have nothing to do with it.
It is, and always has been, about the training.
You'd think that message would have hit home by now...

mawali
01-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Some pointers for the bajiquan guy!
a. stay away from the status of an art
b. stay away from the status of the teacher
c. train realistically. more cardio (running for the cma crowd), keep your guard up! etc
d. find a real teacher
e. lose some body fat
f. size up the opponent (realisticall)
g. forget about qi hugging. breathe normally

omarthefish
01-12-2012, 09:12 AM
There is a "MMA" movement in a certain system of TKD, but it is a recent thing, maybe over the last 10 years or so.
Forget the name.
Doesn't matter anyways because the video was simply a better fighter ( skill and conditioning) beating a weaker fighter.
Styles have nothing to do with it.
It is, and always has been, about the training.
You'd think that message would have hit home by now...
My comment about the MMA side of it was really just a joke anyways. The only thing saying there was TKD was a comment from one of the announcers describing the fighters background. Wasn't Jow Son described as TKD? :o

Nevertheless, regardless of "the message", as a Baji man myself, I can not help but cringe seeing one of my "breathren" . . .sigh...out there "performing" like that. :(

I wish I could see more Baji out there in the ring because it's lack, superficially, has implications. I say superficially because, lets face it, it's a pretty rare **** style in most places. But then again...this vid was in Taiwan, one of the few places where Baji is actually fairly commonplace.

Makes me think, once again, about that truism that "win or lose, by getting in the ring you deserve respect. . ." Yes and no. I think anyone who wants to get in the ring and test his stuff seriously needs a coach, manager or someone out helping pick what arena is appropriate. I fought leitai twice and did quite well. But I have no illusions about the fact that my teacher knew all the organizers and knew what I was capable and knew I would probably do well before I ever got in the ring. The comp was a really appropriate first time out. This guy, from what I can see, had no clue what he was getting into.

If you just want to test yourself and have no concern about "face" or winning or losing and all that, there's no need for a big public comp. You can do that privately. I'm sure I could learn TONS about what I can and can not do and what I need to work on just but meeting up with you personally and getting my a$$ kicked in private. :D IMO, if you enter a big comp, it should NOT be done blindly. For all the flack Black Taoist gets, you gotta respect the arena he is promoting with that whole "Man Up Stand Up". They make the attempt to match people up properly and it looks, to me anyways, like a really good way for people to test the waters of fighting competition.

I don't know where this guy trained or if he had someone properly setting him up for this fight or not. Maybe it was a good wake up call. Who knows. It just doesn't read that way to me.

sanjuro_ronin
01-12-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't know if it was this guys first time in the ring ( and that can mean first time ever or just first time vs someone outside his style or venue) but I know that the vast majority do NOT perform well under those circumstances UNLESS they have trained and done competitions that are close enough for them to "draw on".
The mind tends to override the body more than we like.
This MAY be simply a case of being "overwhelmed" by an attack that one is not familiar with.
Personally I think it was simply a case of better fighter kicking butt of weaker and inexperienced fighter.

mooyingmantis
01-12-2012, 11:01 AM
I think that sometime fighters "forget" that counter-striking isn't done AFTER the opponent attacks but When and even BEFORE he does.

Good point!

Lebaufist
01-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Personally I think it was simply a case of better fighter kicking butt of weaker and inexperienced fighter.Yes, a true "vs." match would have to have either side actually show some initiative. I thought Baji was a pretty much sturdy stance style. I didn't see any body checks, sweeps, long blows, elbows etc. This guy pranced like a spoiled kid.

NO, this is not a style issue. He had no style.

YouKnowWho
01-12-2012, 12:36 PM

You are right! Most people misunderstand the definition of counter attack. You have to read your opponent's "intention". When you detect that your opponent "intend" to do something, you project his moving path, enter, and attack the opening that he "is going to create". This way when you get there, the open will be there and ready for you.

bawang
01-12-2012, 04:04 PM
this is SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

Syn7
01-12-2012, 06:22 PM

and sometimes you simply don't have the choice and you do what ever you gotta do to not get hurt.

Syn7
01-12-2012, 06:22 PM

prolly why he isnt called an afterstriker, huh...

lance
01-18-2012, 01:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_PPW0X-628

The TKD guy was ' nt doing much kicking he was doing mostly grappling . The baji
guy shame on him , it looks like he really was ' nt prepared for this challenge at all . But it still does ' nt make baji a junk art to study now . I ' m sure that there 're alot of guys out there learning and practicing baji , hopefully there are some good baji experts out there .

Peaceful Orchid
01-18-2012, 12:06 PM
The TKD guy was ' nt doing much kicking he was doing mostly grappling . The baji
guy shame on him , it looks like he really was ' nt prepared for this challenge at all . But it still does ' nt make baji a junk art to study now . I ' m sure that there 're alot of guys out there learning and practicing baji , hopefully there are some good baji experts out there .

Yes.

If anything, this was mostly a display of someone who had a somewhat decent grasp of grappling and fighting on the ground against someone who didn't.