PDA

View Full Version : Diet

Hieu Nguyen
06-28-2001, 07:16 AM
What about diet?
After I attend class I usually am extremely hungry? I usually eat out at asian restaurants except for breakfast which I eat cereal or oatmeal.
And as for dinner I eat rice or noodle with either beef, chicken or fish.
I do drink alot of sodas if this is bad is there a recommended replacement?

Any suggestions?

IronFist
06-28-2001, 09:06 AM
"What about diet?
After I attend class I usually am extremely hungry? I usually eat out at asian restaurants except for breakfast which I eat cereal or oatmeal."

You eat out for every meal? You must have a lot of money :p

"And as for dinner I eat rice or noodle with either beef, chicken or fish.
I do drink alot of sodas if this is bad is there a recommended replacement?"

What sodas? You may have become dependent on caffiene if you drink like a lot of Mt. Dew or something. I used to drink 4 or 5 Dew a day in highschool, and then one day I was like "this is bad." so I quit, and I got caffiene withdrawl headaches.

Um, and make sure you are drinking enough water.

What are your diet goals? I can't give you diet advice unless I know what your goals are. Are you bulking? Dieting? Etc.

Iron

Hieu Nguyen
06-28-2001, 06:26 PM
Basically my diet goal are to lose this beer bellie?

Robinf
06-28-2001, 06:35 PM
To lose the "beer" or "soda" belly, lose the beer or soda. Have them, maybe, once a day. Drink water, instead--no calories and your body actually needs it.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Fu-Pow
06-28-2001, 06:47 PM
Soda pop substitutes=
100% fruit juice, tea, or bottled water.

Soda pop is just empty calories. Meaning it provides your body with calories but not other vital nutrients.

Juice has vitamins, minerals and protective phytochemicals. In addition, it does not raise your blood sugar like soda pop. If you want the soda pop taste and the juice benefits try mixing some fruit juice in with a little soda water. You can get these "spritzers" pre-made also.

Tea has no calories. In addition it has protective phytochemicals (ie antioxidants). Green Tea has the most. In addition, Green Tea is a source of Vitamin C.

Water is kind of neutral. No calories, no nutrients, but your body definitely needs it.

Fu-Pow
http://makskungfu.com/images/R7star.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

Fu-Pow
06-28-2001, 06:58 PM
Oh yeah as for the losing weight thing.

Diet:

Restaurants tend to add a lot more fat to food than people add at home. That's why it tastes so good. In the case of asian restaurants it is usually in the form of vegetable oil. (fat=8 cal/gram, carb=4 cal/gram, protein=3 cal/gram). You might want to try not eating everything on the plate when you are in a restaurant. 1/2-3/4 the food on the plate will probably give you plenty of calories because of the added fat.

Try substituting in fresh fruits and vegetables (less calories) for some of your rice, noodles, beef and chicken (more calories). Also, try substituting in tofu and fish (not deep fried) for some the beef (which usually has a lot of fat).

Excercise:

You are already doing kung fu, but kung fu is not always aerobic. You might try introducing some fat burning excercises like jogging.

Pretty simple really!!!

Fu-Pow
http://makskungfu.com/images/R7star.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

IronFist
06-28-2001, 07:53 PM
Eh?

Isn't it fat is 9 calories per gram, carbs and protein are 4?

Iron

SevenStar
06-29-2001, 01:31 AM
Yeah, you're right about that iron. Also, something to remember about tea is that many people put sugar in it. sugar = calories. Juice is good for you, but you may not want to replace soda with it - look at the side of a bottle of V8 splash and other juices - an 8 fl oz glass of minute maid OJ has 110 calories. if you have 4 of those glasses a day, that's 440 extra calories per day - about a pound a week. I would say replace it with water. If you need something sweet try the flavored water. It's good, and has zero calories. If you're eating your fruits, you're getting the same vitamins the juice would give anyway.

-SevenStar©
Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

Hieu Nguyen
06-30-2001, 06:30 AM
I took a drive to the local supermarket and tried to buy some flavored water and couldn't find any, I asked the sales clerk and she said she never heard of flavored water. If you can give me some suggestions like product names that would be helpful, or maybe you could narrow it down for me as to where they actually sell this product at?
In my area there are Vons, Albertsons, Ralphs,etc., I have been searching and no one seems to have heard of flavored water, maybe it is called something else? :confused:

UberShaman
06-30-2001, 05:22 PM
Some juices can can cause insulin spikes just like soda. When your looking for the water ask for flavored seltzer water. Since your just trying
to loose the belly cutting out soda will help alot

IronFist
06-30-2001, 10:54 PM
Flavored water is like water that has some fruit flavor in it. I don't know if you want seltzer water or not, as it is carbonated (and doesn't taste good, IMO).

They used to carry a brand of flavored water at a Wal Mart here, but they stopped carrying it except for the nasty flavor one. I think it was called "Kwencher" or something. Like 50 cents per 16oz bottle or something.

Insulin spikes can only be caused if there's sugar in it.

Iron

IronFist
06-30-2001, 10:57 PM
Dude I just thought of this! If youe at out a lot, and you want to watch calories, go to Burger King or Wendys and get their broiled chicken sandwhiches (not fried ones). Wendy's chicken sandwhiches kick ass, but I don't know if they make a non-fried one (as I only eat spicey chicken sandwhiches when I go there:P ) But Burger King has one called "BK Broiler" which is good, and low in fat.

Make sure they hold the mayo!

Iron

lukrion
07-01-2001, 01:58 AM
This is not very Scientific, but take a tablespoon of Olive oil and Rub it in your hands.

Next use soap and water to wash it off. Its amazing how much more soap and water is needed to get rid of the oiley feeling off of your hands.

How much water do we need to drink to cleanse all that added up oil and grease from our arteries after its built up for a few years? I'm sure it takes a few year for every one year of neglect to clean that all out.

Anyway there is a brand of flavered water called Geyser, but I think it is really sweet, and not very low in carbs.

If you can't find the flavored Seltzer, Mix plain Seltzer and a little regular soda or small amount of juice.

I do the same thing with yogurt. I buy three plain for every two flavored, just because it tastes to sweet for me

SevenStar
07-01-2001, 06:43 AM
There is kwencher and geyser, and there is a really good one ( IMO) - fruit<sub>2</sub>. Kmart and Wal-Mart also have their own brands, but they are both carbonated.

Mickey D's grilled McChicken has only 4 grams of fat (without mayo) id i remember correctly. And there are the subway 6g or less subs.

-SevenStar&copy;
Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

Hieu Nguyen
07-01-2001, 06:54 AM
So why is carbonated drinks bad for you?