PDA

View Full Version : Flexability Goal - Opening the Hips

Fighting Eagle
01-19-2012, 09:38 AM
For me, flexibility is like a roller coaster, while I normally remain more flexible than your average Joe, I wish I could go back to where I've been before. Sometimes I get close and then it poof! I wake up one day, again wanting. Well this year I am focusing on regaining my splits and that means a lot of work on my tight hips. My plan is to stretch deep every morning and night and then later on incorporate a lunchtime stretch.

I've read several books over the years on stretching and understand the difference of static and dynamic flexibility. For those that do not know, static is the flexibility you see when you hold a stretch or a pose. Dynamic is when the muscle stretches for a quick second, like when kicking. I'm looking to gain on both.

My particular problem is in the hips, they are strong but tight. I've got good power and technique but not the range that I used to have. In kicking, Flexibility is nothing without strength to integrate it and strength alone will not allow the correct timing and target range really needed to land some cleaner kicks. When I throw a kick, my main concern is telegraphing it and in that case, it really needs to be refined. I can usually setup the opening for the kick nicely but I'm finding that my speed, timing and range are all below where they used to be. The goal I have for kicking is to be able to create the opening, and attack it quickly without giving my opponent the ability to block. It's been there before, I know I'll get it back again.

My routine will consist of:
Warming up
Fast kicking\leg raises
Slow kicking

Static stretching on the ground
Pulley stretching using a pulley and handle

Perhaps you have some tricks\tips\techniques that I might be able to incorporate as well?

mickey
01-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Greetings,

I suggested a link to a pelvic exercise on page 2 of the following thread:

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62241

It is very helpful.

mickey

Fighting Eagle
01-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks, I just finished that thread.

5 stars to the aerobic hottie workout :rolleyes:

I've also got the hip popping, always had it.

Shaolin
01-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Here's an article that might help give you a little more information.

http://shifuyanlei.blogspot.com/2010/03/seven-tips-to-maximize-your-flexibility.html

When I first started long ago I was so tense and had horrible flexibility. What helped me to open my hips the most outside of stretching was practicing the basic stretch kicks daily. Here's a video that shows an example of them.

Basic Stretch Kicks:

Front Flex (over same side shoulder)
Cross Flex (over opposite side shoulder)
Side Flex w/ twine and wrap
Inside Crescent
Outside Crescent

http://youtu.be/njazAyKyHVg

Lee Chiang Po
01-20-2012, 11:12 AM
This can lead to splaying of the hips. An injury that is perminent. The reason it is a roller coaster is because it is a very un natural thing. The hips are not designed to include this movement. It would be wise to illiminate any and all moves that require these types of movement. People injure themselves all the time trying to do un natural stuff, and any technique that is subject to injure you instead of an opponent should have a second look.
A horse that is so wide that the hips require stretching is not good. It is hard to move properly. A kick that requires the hips to be stretched is subject to injure you at a time when you need all your fascilities.

Shaolin
01-21-2012, 12:28 PM
This can lead to splaying of the hips. An injury that is perminent. The reason it is a roller coaster is because it is a very un natural thing. The hips are not designed to include this movement. It would be wise to illiminate any and all moves that require these types of movement. People injure themselves all the time trying to do un natural stuff, and any technique that is subject to injure you instead of an opponent should have a second look.
A horse that is so wide that the hips require stretching is not good. It is hard to move properly. A kick that requires the hips to be stretched is subject to injure you at a time when you need all your fascilities.

Are you recommending to not do stretching? I understand injuries occur do to lack of education and improper technique or just taking things to an extreme, but how do you recommend increasing flexibility? Or are you saying not to try?

Dragonzbane76
01-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Dont know how old u are but age plays a big role. When your young you have a more natural flexability. The body developing and such. Continue working at it flexability take time.

Lee Chiang Po
01-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Are you recommending to not do stretching? I understand injuries occur do to lack of education and improper technique or just taking things to an extreme, but how do you recommend increasing flexibility? Or are you saying not to try?

I don't want to say not to work on flexibility, but there is a limit. The body structure, the way it is made and how it works naturally is quite often violated when doing such things. You have to remember, you fight like you train, and in a fight you are not always under perfect circumstances. You might have to do a move quickly and this is where injury often occurs. Not to mention that you can damage joints and sockets by over extending them. Hip joints are like knees and elbows in that they too can be hyper extended. Once this happens I don't think they are ever the same again.
Everyone has different ranges of flexibility in the hips. I can kick in the normal range to the side, front, and back, but I cannot kick really high or do the splits. The hips simply will not extend themselves to that extent. I have a brother that can side kick over his head. My range is only hip high. It might not be a pretty, but if you practice kicks in the range where you are very comfortable, you can get super good at it.