PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of belts or sashes

Rory
06-28-2001, 09:35 PM
I'm talking about the chinese ones not the japanese ones. I have heard that turning to quickly will hurt your organs so if you were a belt it will some how sofen the turning of something like that.

Fu-Pow
06-28-2001, 11:59 PM
I think they were orginally to hold up your pants. If you have ever worn traditional kung fu pants they are very wide about the waist and you have to fold them in and then secure them with the sash. Now, because of the wonderful invention called elastic they are mainly just for tradition and to identify your school or style.

Fu-Pow
http://makskungfu.com/images/R7star.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

Crimson_Wolf
06-29-2001, 02:45 PM
Fu-Pow you got that from Dragon the Bruce Lee story right?
Because of the english guys asks him what does he think about belts and Bruce Lee saids the only good things about belts are that they hold up your pants lol.
Note Bruce Lee was played by Jason Scott Lee sorrt if i confused you.

You can't change your past but you still can change your destiny.

IronFist
06-30-2001, 12:19 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmm

there is one kind of belt that you wrap a certain way, and it helps keep your organs from "sinking." You're supposed to wear it all the time except when you're doing internal training, as it limits abdomen expansion or something. beats me.

they talk about it on the Green Dragon Iron Vest tape i think

Iron

Fu-Pow
06-30-2001, 03:10 AM
but, no, I didn't get that from the movie (good movie BTW). My first kung fu teacher made us wear the traditional kung fu pants without elastic. His wife made them for us and if you didn't have the sash tied around your pants would fall down...... :eek:

Fu-Pow
http://makskungfu.com/images/R7star.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

Crimson_Wolf
06-30-2001, 11:14 AM
lok oh okay.

You can't change your past but you still can change your destiny.

joedoe
07-01-2001, 03:13 AM
I was told that it was because certain exercises actually cause your internal organs to move around. Generally this is OK, but if you are practicing hard they can move too much. The belt is supposed to help hold them in place so you don't do any serious damage.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Olethros
07-14-2001, 04:12 PM
I was told that in addition to keeping your pants up, the sash will also give you some lower back support if you have to do any jumping or tumbling.

baldmantiz
07-15-2001, 08:39 PM
in terms of the average person walkign into a school...it is nice to see all the pretty colors and such....for the individual...i think a lot of times it can lure one into a false sense of security.

www.kugnfuusa.net (http://www.kugnfuusa.net)

To know others is to have knowledge. To know oneself is to be enlightened.

baldmantiz
07-15-2001, 08:40 PM
in terms of the average person walkign into a school...it is nice to see all the pretty colors and such....for the individual...i think a lot of times it can lure one into a false sense of security.

www.kungfuusa.net (http://www.kungfuusa.net)

To know others is to have knowledge. To know oneself is to be enlightened.

nospam
07-16-2001, 06:12 PM
Today, sashes in Chinese martial arts represents tradition. Traditional wear included sashes and when a person was demonstrating, nice colorful sashes would be worn.

They are part of the 'image' of gung fu. They are part and parcel of the gung fu uniform in most kwoons, and obviously have come to represent rank as well. They have become part of the mystique of Chinese martial arts, and most people have come to covet their 'attainment'.

When it gets down to the sash and the uniform, its all colors.

GLW
07-17-2001, 12:48 AM
Fu Pow

I used to wear those with my first teacher....

Wasn't it a real pain in the ass when the sash came undone in the middle of sparring...and you start to lose your pants...and then get hit....

The first time that happened, I learned to tie the sash well...and that I did not like the old style pants where you folded them in from each side and rolled them down...looked good but not to practical.