PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Lock?

Sil Lum Palm
07-01-2001, 12:25 PM
I have been studying Chin Na for a few months now and I have been looking into the many ways to make the hands and wrists stronger Someone in my Kwoon suggested buying a "chinese lock". I know what it is , however I have no earthly idea where to find a chinese lock! Is there any good Martial Arts supply stores that would carry them? My friend suggested asking someone from Wah Lum, but I didn't see any on their site so I'm still searching. Any help would be appreciated. Also, maybe I can make one, any ideas?

shaolinboxer
07-01-2001, 08:05 PM
What are you trying to find?

joedoe
07-02-2001, 04:07 AM
Are you talking about the weights that look like a Chinese lock?

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Sil Lum Palm
07-02-2001, 04:50 AM
Yes these are weights that look like a chinese lock. They are made of metal and you throw them in the air and do wrist exercises with them. It allmost looks lke on of the old metal irons. I believe Dr. Yang Jwing Ming mentions it in his books, and I also read it in a book on Ngo Cho Kun, but I never really considered it until it was suggested by a friend. I figured it must work well.

joedoe
07-02-2001, 06:20 AM
My teacher made his own, but one of my sihings also happens to be a metal worker so that made it easier.

Have you done any partnered exercises to strengthen your wrists?

UberShaman
07-02-2001, 06:34 AM
kettlebells will work

Sil Lum Palm
07-02-2001, 03:50 PM
With partners we practice the applications of Chin Na. We usually pair off and go over like five at a time, then we execute them several times until we start to get it. After that I like to do something I call "chain locking". It's like this, you execute one chin na move, hten you partner tries to escape and apply another, then you try to escape and try another, its really fun until you go against someone a lot better than you, then you have no chance. As far as partner exercises we do a lot of stretching and push ups and some staff work to make our wrists stronger. I haven't been doing Chin Na very long so I haven't seen al the training yet. Most of my strength training I do at home after I learn to technique in class. I can usually be real innovative when it comes to designing work-outs.

honorisc
07-02-2001, 04:38 PM
Make the handle of a (fish and )tackle box, or tool box (preferablly metal only stand straight up. You'll see this resembles a Chinese lock. Fill the box lid with cement, let it dry. Paint the handle with cement. Watch it, sculpt it so that it is rounded(the handle where you'll grip it. Fill all the levels of the box part or remove the trays and merely fill the box part with cement(even it off as you should do with the top. Then let it dry. Then, dip the box in cement(if the top and bottom are cemented together). Or paint a thick paste of cement over the closed box and part of the handle (so that you have one cement piece). Rest this shaped cemented box on dusty or soil covered or dirty surface so that it doesn't harden to a solid surface and break when you try to remove it.

A lock, not a weight. If it was merely a weight, stones or anything heavy grabable ~ would do. The training might need the weight distribution of a Chinese lock.

I might only be thinking of a stone lock in which case the painting of the box should include cement to the height of the handle and extending to the ends~.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

joedoe
07-03-2001, 02:46 AM
Try this:

Stand opposite your partner. With your arms in front of you, grip your partner's right forearm with your right hand, and your partner's left forearm with your left hand. Your arms should be crossed with one arm above the other.

Now both of you should apply pressure rolling your wrists forward and back. Start with gentle pressure and build it up. You will find that very quickly your wrists get tired.

After doing this consistently your wrists should not only get stronger but should also get more flexible.

Sil Lum Palm
07-03-2001, 10:51 AM
Cool thanks. Now ,do I need my right hand or left on top? or does it matter? I know some schools are really specific.

joedoe
07-04-2001, 08:40 AM
Swap them around. Ultimately I don't think it matters, but you can swap them around and see if it makes a difference (you tend to concentrate more on the top arm).