PDA

View Full Version : Please don't laugh...

Kempomon
07-02-2001, 11:42 PM
I have kind of a dumb question, but here goes...
My parents are often telling me that I train enough and that I shouldn't push myself so hard to train out of class. I go to class for about 8-9 hours a week, in addition to running 3x?week and sprinting 2-3x/week. I also do exercises to strengthen my body(pull-ups, sit-ups, squats, etc) on the days that I run. I really feel like I'm not doing half as much as I should, especially when I come here and see how much serious martial artists. I try to train out side of class by doing forms, shadowboxing and bagwork, but most of the time I just can't push myself to do it. My parents tell me it's because I don't have the energy, but I worry that it's just me being lazy. It's very important to me that I know I'm training as hard as I should, so I'm asking you guys: do you think I train enough, or that I need to do more?

(Note: I'm not asking whether you think it's a bad idea to do more, since I know it isn't. I'm asking if you think that I *need* to do more) :confused:

SevenStar
07-03-2001, 01:27 AM
That all depends on you. I train in class 3 days a week, and outside of class (running, weight training, shadowboxing, bagwork, forms and conventional aerobics) three days per week. I think I train enough, but I would love to train more. What are you trying to attain? I like to fight in the ring, so I need to be in shape. If you have been training the way that you are for any length of time, I'm willing to bet that you are in better than average shape. If you are, and if you are confident in your ability to defend yourself, then harder training may not be necessary.

As far as the laziness thing, maybe it's boredom or lack of desire. try something active that you may like, such as tennis or basketball.

-SevenStar©
Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

joedoe
07-03-2001, 02:42 AM
You train a sh1tload more than I do. Don't worry about what other people say they do for training, just do what you feel is good for you. I reckon half the people here are talking sh1t when they describe their training schedules anyway.

If they aren't, then good on them.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Brian_CA
07-03-2001, 03:17 AM
Just remember to get a couple of days rest during your week. Take 2 days off in a row and let your body heal.

Brian
San Francisco,CA

Xebsball
07-03-2001, 05:37 AM
You train a lot more than the averege person (at least from my limited point of view). I dont think you need to train more, but if you feel like you need than do it.

-------------------------
I'm working on a improved version of my signature

Repulsive Monkey
07-03-2001, 02:21 PM
I think maybe you ought to thinbk about what it is exactly you are trying to achieve. A lot of what you mention, from a certain point of view, is quite unecessary, and on one hand I totally agree with what your parents are saying. What is it that you are hoping to gain by increasing or maintaining the regime that you currently follow? Physical fitness can be gained without a fair degree of the punishment that you are putting yourself through. Also with the routines you are pushing yourself through you ought to watch out that you don't exhaust the Kidney Qi aswell as the Liver Qi. By wearing out the tendons and muscles you are placing undue stress and work on the Liver and in fact Spleen to a certain degree which controls these areas of the body. With a lot of gri8nding exercise you may start to deplete your Jing (Kidney essence) too and thus give way to premature aging.

Kempomon
07-03-2001, 07:41 PM
Good point, Repulsive Monkey(nice name by the way) :D . I have been considering doing some qigong or taichi to help myself internally.

Johnny Hot Shot
07-10-2001, 07:23 PM
Take everything you read with a grain of salt. If half the people on this board are training as much as they say they do. why do they spend all their time on this board?

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

TjD
07-10-2001, 08:04 PM
well i work 8 hours a day with internet access... and dont have a helluvalot to do :)

but i do manage to lift 1.5-2 hrs 4 days a week, and have kung fu class 1-2 hrs the other 3 days

and every day i do cardio and forms for at least .5-1 hrs...

what sucks is unless its a weekend my life is work, workout, eat, workout sleep
but im not complaining, i feel more healthy and energetic than i ever have before in my life

if your not killing yourself in your workouts - ie going to failure, then theres really not much of a reason you cant work out every day, if i happen to feel really tired one day ill take a break, but it usually doesnt happen to often

it all depends on what you want to do with yourself, and what level you want to be at

peace
trav

if you never get into a fight,
you can never be defeated,
if you can never be defeated,
you are invincible

Daedalus
07-10-2001, 11:09 PM
Sounds to me like you're training enough. Keep in mind that your body needs time to recover, otherwise you're doing more harm than good.

If you feel like your not intense enough about your training, maybe you just need to change gears a bit. Maybe focus more on the mental side for awhile.

I wouldn't think that you necessarily *need* to train more. To try and force yourself to develope in a certain direction often slows your natural progression.

Just my opinion.

Budokan
07-11-2001, 03:59 PM
Sounds to me too that you're doing fine.

And ABandit is right. Most of what we hear on these forums about these incredible training schedules are just bull.

K. Mark Hoover

JWTAYLOR
07-11-2001, 06:26 PM
Train as much as you can.
Eat right, drink plenty of fluids, get lots of rest. Go like hell.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

honorisc
07-13-2001, 12:19 AM
If you are doing that because you think you are supposed to, then you are doing too much. Know what you are trying to do. Then be appropriate.~ Achievment is made through attempts not achievments. Don't try too hard.~

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

phoenix-eye
07-13-2001, 01:54 AM
First up, I don't train half as much as I should/could/ would like to...

But watch what you are doing. My best mate from school started training at the same time as me. We both worked out together and sparred outside class. However, he got a bit obsessed with training "to be the best he could be". He worked out all the time and got in superb shape. His training regime was very similar to yours.

He trained so hard that he totally burnt out. He got bored (or whatever psychological term you want to use) and suddenly stopped training altogether.

By all means train hard - just watch you don't overdo it. It's better to train regularly over your lifetime than to train hard for a few years.

I don't mean to patronise - its just that my friend had real talent and its now totally wasted.

Good luck.

ElPietro
07-17-2001, 08:50 PM
Train within your own personal limits. Everyone's body and thresholds are different. Don't worry about what others are doing, as long as you are learning, achieving your goals and enjoying yourself who cares what others do.