PDA

View Full Version : Need for Speed

Kempomon
07-04-2001, 04:27 AM
Does anyone have any good drills that I can do for speed in my punches and kicks. I've tried just throwing techniques as fast as possible within a certain time limit but I have just not seen any results. Are there better exercises that I could do to build up hand and foot speed? If not, then is there a reason why I can't get any faster?

S.Teebas
07-04-2001, 05:26 AM
Try doing pushups and clapping in between (i think you know what i mean). This will build up you fast twitch muscle fibres.

S.Teebas

IronFist
07-04-2001, 09:08 AM
Do you want the textbook answers?

Stay relaxed. Don't tense until the moment of impact. Muscle tension = slowed speed.

I know, easier said than done.

Iron

premier
07-06-2001, 12:35 AM
I thought this thread was about the best PC game series ever - Need for speed.

well.. anyway.. when you're speed training, you should always avoid doing the movement too long so your muscles get tired. So do 5-15 reps sets as fast as you can, rest for a while and keep yourself warm, and repeat. Always warm up GOOD before speed exercises.

[This message was edited by premier on 07-06-01 at 03:44 PM.]

Martial Joe
07-06-2001, 06:42 AM
Train correctly...

Daedalus
07-09-2001, 11:23 PM
If you are punching traditional karate style (reverse punching), then change your technique.

Reverse punching is done using a stop and go sort of action. You have two positions; fully extended and in chamber at the hip. This punching method is inherently slow to begin with.

Try punching from a fighting position and allow your hands to travel in a more circular path. Allow your body to move naturally; swing and sway, don't be stiff or rigid.

Hope this helps.

bearpaw
07-13-2001, 01:22 PM
The Speed Test.

Place your elbows at your sides, arms stiraght out. Have one hand as a fist then other open. Bring both hands together so open hand goes over fist. Now bring then back apart. change open hand and fist and bring back together and a part agian. Repeat repeat repeat. faster

I was told (a long long long time ago) that this helps train edurance while moving fast and helps you concentrait on breathing.

I can do it for about ten minutes and the "punchs" barely even land on the open hand.

nospam
07-17-2001, 05:25 AM
Speed is gentically predisposed based on predominate muscle fibre types and resulting nerve impulses or motor nerve cells that constitute your musculature-skeletal system.

Reconditioning of the muscle fibre can be accomplished through proper training methods that stimulate specific muscle contraction or muscle growth- 'fast' and 'slow' twitch muscles. Weightlifters recondition muscle fiber types over a period of prolonged weight resistance training. As the muscle fibre grows thicker (increasing in fibre density), more slow twitch fibre is produced. This is why people advocate against extensive weight training, as it builds slow twitch muscle fibre that slows the contraction period but increases strength and muscular endurance.

Notwithstanding the above, the average active person has an equally comparible amount of both slow and fast twitch fibers. This is where specific reconditioning comes into effect. It takes longer and the results are not as great for those predisposed with greater quantity of slow twitch muscle fibers. Over a period of specific training, slow twitch fibers are reduced and replaced with faster twitch fibers, thus increasing physical speed. Yes, your punches will be executed quicker than before!

So what are some exercises I can do to achieve increased speed? Interestingly enough, weight resistance. Pick up those dumbbells and start using them! But the trick is in how you use them. Keep the weight relatively light and instead of low reps with medium to heavy weights, go for high reps with lighter weight. This is also where the practise of using weighted aids while punching came into affect. It isolates the muscle groups specific to a particular technique. Personally speaking, I prefer not to do this type of training, preferring that of a more general purpose method that conditions all of my muscle groups.

Second, tendon and muscle flexibility is important. You want maximal range of motion which is achieved through tendon/muscle suppleness vs stiffness..this is why a good warm-up is a must prior to any physical effort. And get into the practise of a good warm-down routine that includes stretching; when you introduce weight resistance training into your regimen, always stretch the muscle group inbetween sets.

Third, body mechanics. Analyse how a technique is executed and from hence power is generated; then look at the function of the parts. By this I mean look at the various stages of movement and use of body dynamics (moving parts) and start to train each 'dynamic' is stages. We do this already. It is common practise to perform a technique slowly, this is exactly what I am talking about, with the exception that you want to halve or quarter the entire movement or technique and practise it in parts or stages. Usually I recommend the end half or last quarter of the move as this is the release move or where energy transference occurs. Do not forget the recoil!

So, start looking at your basic techniques (this is where it all begins) and remember, practise makes perfect but proper training achieves perfection. Train hard, and smart.

nospam.

ElPietro
07-17-2001, 09:05 PM
*Reconditioning of the muscle fibre can be accomplished through proper training methods that stimulate specific muscle contraction or muscle growth- 'fast' and 'slow' twitch muscles. Weightlifters recondition muscle fiber types over a period of prolonged weight resistance training. As the muscle fibre grows thicker (increasing in fibre density), more slow twitch fibre is produced. This is why people advocate against extensive weight training, as it builds slow twitch muscle fibre that slows the contraction period but increases strength and muscular endurance.*

nospam i didn't read your entire post but I can tell you with 0% doubt that you are dead wrong on your interpretation of fast and slow twitch muscle fibres.

Allow me to enlighten...when you weight train you are training fast-twitch muscle, not slow twitch muscles. I will explain the difference in fibre types as you seem to have assumed that by the name 'fast' and 'slow' that is what they are. To put it extremely simply, fast-twitch=strength, slow-twitch=endurance. When you train with heavy weights you are training for power and explosiveness which is what fast twitch is, for example a 60m sprinter has lots of muscle mass because he trains his fast twitch muscles...why? not because they are faster, because there is more power, and endurance isn't required for 60m sprints. Take a marathon runner now...primary need is muscular endurance, how many beefcake marathon runners you seen? my guess is 0 because they train slow-twitch muscle fibres to enable long distance runs.

I think you mentioned something about genetically determined, which is correct when it comes to muscle fibre types. Everyone has a certain percentage of fast and slow twitch fibres in their body. Doesn't particularly mean anything though because by focusing on one type such as fast twitch you cause those fibres to grow larger while the neglected slow twitch begin to shrink. Everything is simple if you think of it as your body is always reacting to stimulus. You train one part and not the other then your body grows where required and doesn't waste energy maintaining muscle mass where it doesn't.

As far as speed of punches is concerned, I believe it was ironfist that said concentrate on relaxing all muscle until you strike. This is the best way to go at it. Some people take 2 months to figure out how to do this naturally others take 2 years and still cannot accomplish this. But without learning this, you will burn out after a couple hours of practice of muscles being continually flexed. Be loose until your fist is about to make contact, then be like steel, iron whatever.

I don't come to this forum very often but if you have anymore questions I will attempt to answer them.

No disrespect intended to you nospam just that your information is incorrect and you should be sure of what you post, since many will take it to heart and make changes according to misinformation.

The Heritic
07-18-2001, 12:01 AM
plyometrics!!!!!!!! do them...=)

we are the wakeful, wry, and watchful -a.f.i

nospam
07-18-2001, 02:44 AM
Hmmm....I have made a mistake in my second paragraph. My apologies. And thanks to ElPietro for pointing out my mistake regarding the function of fast and slow twitch muscles fibres.

Even though my attempt to rationalise the difference in muscle types was wrong, I still stand by the rest of my post. Hopefully it will help others.

nospam.
:cool:

namkuen
07-18-2001, 07:52 AM
Muscles, muscles, muscles! That's all most of you seem to know! It sounds like most of your gung fu is nothing more than muscle flexing training!

If you have a need for true speed, then relax the muscles and circulate the chi into your limbs. Will you then have all the speed you need as well as true power!

Peace!!!

DWR

One who conquers others is strong, but one who conquers himself is mighty! Lao Tzu