PDA

View Full Version : Jim R

dfl
02-01-2012, 12:49 PM
http://www.jmzlyc.com/portal.php?mod=list&catid=4

Any comments? Is this substantially similar to what you do?

chunner
02-02-2012, 01:06 AM
could jim also comment on the difference of 12 fists compared to one long set? is there any difference? if we say wck is internal style, then is the internal aspect depdendent on one's set(s)?

Jim Roselando
02-02-2012, 05:39 AM
Hello,

All Wing Chun (not just Kulo) has similar stuff but IMO this stuff is more likely connected to the teaching of Fung Chun or one of his Kids/Pupils. The few Solo sets demo'd are not being done in any particular order and some actions not complete. The Jong set is some modern set a lot of people play in Kulo but certainly not the 12 Dummy Hands that come from the 12 Solo Hands as taught by Leung Jan. So, to answer your questions??? Some similarity but not the same!

Hope this helps!

Peace,

Jim Roselando
02-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Hello,

could jim also comment on the difference of 12 fists compared to one long set? is there any difference? if we say wck is internal style, then is the internal aspect depdendent on one's set(s)?

For the most part I feel (if certain principles are not followed) longer sets have a higher chance of having a reverse effect on the body by hardening the trunk/closing off the body. BUT, the same can happen with other training so you need to be careful as to how you practice each method.

The benefit of isolated or core sets taught by Leung Jan is the way it hits the body in a rapid way. Longer sets (SLT/CK/BJ) have similar stuff but will not hit the body in the same way unless it is specifically isolated and trained. So, one of the beauties of the 12 is Leung Jan already picked the most important stuff needed for not only conditioning but dynamics, ranges and other stuff... Essentially it is a compressed/refined classical platform and not a bunch of moves...

The one long set you mentioned is mainly preserved by Yik Kam. Yik Kam's set specializes in noi gong, specifically Zheng Qi/Meridian cultivation (hsin faat/sum faat) and 6D force. BUT, similar to to what I said with the other methods, one needs to be careful as to how you practice any of this stuff as if certain principles are not followed any of the above training can and will have a reverse effect on your athletic output/health.

So, does the set or sets matter with regards to internal development? Yes as each has their purpose but what is MOST important is the principles and method of practice.

Hope this helps!

chunner
02-03-2012, 11:54 AM
thanks jim for your insight. however since fung chun is the grandmaster, is he or his kids teaching something different than the 12 these days?

kung fu fighter
02-03-2012, 12:14 PM
http://www.jmzlyc.com/portal.php?mod=list&catid=4

it is well known that Fung Leung is the best fighter in the pien san wing chun family, his skills even surpassed his father Fung Chuns. This is Fung Leungs website is above.

Hendrik
02-03-2012, 12:26 PM
great post, thanks!

if you take a look at sifu Fung Leong's wooden dummy practice. pay attention to his hands and body movement on the snake and crane , as I mention in my snake and crane youtube. all of these WCK snake crane signatures.

Jim Roselando
02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
it is well known that Fung Leung is the best fighter in the pien san wing chun family, his skills even surpassed his father Fung Chuns.

The above statement is a fable........ Sorry but when you say "it is well known" is actually not true....

chunner
02-05-2012, 02:23 AM
thanks jim for your insight. however since fung chun is the grandmaster, is he or his kids teaching something different than the 12 these days?

anybody comment on this?

Jim Roselando
02-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Hello,

Fung Chun, like his kids, love to share their art. They and Lau Liu Gen have the biggest public groups. Consider this! In Kulo many many many (did I say many) people play some Pin Sun Wing Chun for a year or two at some point in their life. It is a part of the local culture. So, with so many people coming and going all the time what you are seeing is mainly a kind of standardized basic training that most are demo'ing/learning. Hope this helps!

The below link is Fung Keung's. Enjoy:

http://www.ee.cuhk.edu.hk/~ymfung/kulo/

Peace,

LoneTiger108
02-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks for sharing the site Jim.

I see what is meant by the statement 'Yi Hei, Lik Hap Yat' as this is what I see the Fungs actually doing. Good stuff.

Jim Roselando
02-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Hello,

Sergio has gone back to Kulo to visit Master Fung Chun.

Footage below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8f2-adtfG8&list=UURex0fFs_Ln2o769H3mFfZg&index=1&feature=plcp

:)

LoneTiger108
02-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Great to see a true explanation of Pien San from the eldest :)

GlennR
02-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Hello,

Sergio has gone back to Kulo to visit Master Fung Chun.

Footage below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8f2-adtfG8&list=UURex0fFs_Ln2o769H3mFfZg&index=1&feature=plcp

:)

Very nice Jim

chunner
02-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Hello,

Fung Chun, like his kids, love to share their art. They and Lau Liu Gen have the biggest public groups. Consider this! In Kulo many many many (did I say many) people play some Pin Sun Wing Chun for a year or two at some point in their life. It is a part of the local culture. So, with so many people coming and going all the time what you are seeing is mainly a kind of standardized basic training that most are demo'ing/learning. Hope this helps!

The below link is Fung Keung's. Enjoy:

http://www.ee.cuhk.edu.hk/~ymfung/kulo/

Peace,

Thanks Jim, have you met Fung Keung before? what was it like?

Jim Roselando
02-16-2012, 04:50 AM
Hello,

Sorry for the delay in reply!

Thanks Jim, have you met Fung Keung before? what was it like?

The first time we visited Kulo we contact Fung Keung to set it up. We visited Fung Keung's school in Shaping Town but Fung Keung was in HK at the time. His pupil Lu Jan was living at the school. Lu Jan had been studying with him for about 4 years when we visited. Lu Jan also came with us when we interviewed Fung Chun for the first time but so far I have not met Fung Keung.

Fung Keung is one of the more popular teachers in Kulo. He is even listed in Leung Jan's house as one of Kulo's more well known people. Fung Keung's brother, Fung Leung, is not listed in Leung Jan's home.

Thanks!