PDA

View Full Version : Pushup Program clarification and Results

IronFist
07-04-2001, 08:55 AM
Hey guys, let's use this thread to post results in, because the other one is too long :)

Ok, to answer the question about sets, well, the first instruction is this:

Week 1 & 2 Every other day

POSITION #1
Triangle push-ups (you should touch your thumbs to your xiphoid process
(lightly!) when trying to touch your chest to the ground)
5 partials
5 complete
7 partials
7 complete
rest 90 seconds

POSITION #2
Move hands to shoulder length apart (the tips of your fingers should be
aligned with the tops of your sholders)

5 partials
5 complete
7 partials
7 complete
rest 90 seconds

POSITION #3
Move your hands out until, during mid rep, your upper arms will be
perpendicular to your forearms. The hands should remain in the same
position relative to the shoulders (ie move them "out" in a straight
line)

5 partials
5 complete
7 partials
7 complete

So on the first day, you're gonna to this:

POSITION #1: 5 partials, then immediately go to 5 complete, then 7 partials, 7 complete
Then you get to rest 90 seconds

Then after 90 seconds immediately start
POSITION #2: 5 partials, then immediately go to 5 complete, then 7 partials, 7 complete
Then you get to rest 90 seconds

Then after 90 seconds immediately start
POSITION #3: 5 partials, then immediately go to 5 complete, then 7 partials, 7 complete
Then you're done for that day!

So for each "on" day of the first two weeks, you're doing a total of 36 partials, and 36 complete daily.

Did that clarify it?

Iron

SevenStar
07-04-2001, 09:17 PM
gotcha.

-SevenStar©
Step right up and get it -- whoever wants [defeat]
Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

David
07-05-2001, 04:41 PM
Only managed to get through half the Day #1 plan in one go. Those partials are lethal - never tried partial anything before...

My revised :rolleyes: plan is to keep at it alternate days until I get through the whole set and then carry it on from there.

Ignore my signature this time ;)

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

stubbs
07-05-2001, 05:14 PM
i can do ok but my face goes purple!

"satisfaction loses, humility gains"

premier
07-07-2001, 11:37 PM
ARGH!

I failed the last set again. I had to do the last 5 on my knees. I had just eaten a large meal and drank a glas of brandy. That might have effected.

I'm going to army tomorrow. We'll have some hardcore training the first 2 months. I'm not sure how I can keep up with the program, because I will be burned out. But we'll see. I hope I can do it.

This means I won't be posting much here during the next 6-12months. Have fun and watch out for trolls =)

IronFist
07-08-2001, 08:15 AM
holy shìt, premier, you're leaving?! good luck in the army, dude. post here when you can.

Iron

wisdom mind
07-08-2001, 08:06 PM
good luck, i think i can hack this program.

wisdom mind
07-09-2001, 04:35 AM
i will be incorporating this regimine foe sure into my practice......i got 1/2 way through no prob then had to rest more than 90 sec,.,,,

ill post again when i get them down pat

maybe the two pints i had at dinner impacted this :)

peace

Daredevil
07-10-2001, 01:38 AM
Just FYI, I started the program, too. Should do me good, I've been working on coming up with something to increase my upper body musculature and strenght. So, thanks for the info!

I had difficulties doing the entire first day set, yeah, but I went through it, although the last reps were maybe a bit iffy in places. :)

Later.

IronFist
07-10-2001, 05:26 AM
IronFist's pushup tip for the day:

Blast some loud music (whatever type gets you going), this will help especially with the last set :)

I find that with strict kung fu training, music is a disturbance, but with pure, raw strength training, it can help a lot :)

Keep at it guys. I want success stories from this program.

Iron

SevenStar
07-11-2001, 05:27 AM
believe it or not, day two was a breeze. Day three as well. Now it's on to phase 2...

-SevenStar©

IronFist
07-11-2001, 08:07 AM
SevenStar, you're skipping right to the week 3 part?

Iron

David
07-11-2001, 12:12 PM
I'm almost there with being able to do a decent set for a week 1 day. I've been doing lots of partials and using the arms of my chair to push up on, lifting out of my seat and lowering down again but not quite touching.

I will try the loud music - it sounds like a good idea.

-- Hong Kong Phooey

SevenStar
07-12-2001, 03:28 AM
I think so. The week 1 and 2 sets are a breeze now. What do you suggest I do?

-SevenStar©

IronFist
07-12-2001, 05:19 AM
SevenStar, you can skip it if you want. If it is really easy, I might only do 1 week and not both weeks. This is just because your body will be more accustomed to doing diamond pushups, which will help during the "position 1 to failure" week.

It's up to you tho.

Iron

Julian Dale
07-12-2001, 02:57 PM
Silly question can you clarify what a partial is ?
Thanks

dmsdc
07-12-2001, 04:10 PM
So.

1) female
2) never trained pushups before
3) started out doing "girlie" pushups on my knees
4) after 3 weeks at week 1 I can finally do 10 regular pushups in a normal position.

This may seem small -- but it is my victory.

By next week I should be able to get through the entire week 1 set in normal push up position.

(insert small smattering of applause)

It's gonna take me 3x as long to get there -- but I'll get there.

cheers,
Dana

"I have been in
sorrow's kitchen and
licked out all the pots.
Then I have stood on
the peaky mountain
wrapped in rainbows,
with a harp and a
sword in my hands." -
Zora Neale Hurston

IronFist
07-12-2001, 06:46 PM
Wong Ying, you should really go download the program yourself because it explains everything, but here is a partial:

Go from the floor, up to half way up, then back down. That's one partial. Don't go higher than half way, so your arms stay bent the whole time.

Iron

sticky fingers
07-22-2001, 08:59 AM
I can complete the first routine with no probs. Gives you a great burn, too. People have been 'staring at my tits' cos it's Summer and its tank top season. start week 3 on Wednesday. This is a great programme...

She offered her honour,
I honoured her offer;
so all through the night,
I was honour and offer!!

IronFist
07-22-2001, 09:21 PM
Good job dude, keep it up.

Iron

lotusleaf
07-28-2001, 04:08 AM
What I find works too is to do puchups on a de-cline position. Do 3 sets of 20 w/ one set clapping before you land. Works great for power and speed training.

I just recently learned another drill of a JKD site. Get a partner to hold a focus mitt in each hand. When you do your push up, launch of the ground, punch w/ your right then land. And do the same thing for your other hand

David
07-29-2001, 12:00 PM
I've still not completed the week 1 set (I'm the weak one). I can do it on my knees :o so far. Those partials just wipe me out but I still love them.

Just got back from holiday and feeling refreshed. I'll be putting more effort into it now.

-- Hong Kong Phooey

SevenStar
07-31-2001, 05:57 AM
My bench has actually dropped a little. Should I bench while I'm on the program? I may just be going through a weak phase. I normally bench 225 for reps, and today, I couldn't do as many reps...

-SevenStar©

Sharky
07-31-2001, 06:18 PM
riangle push-ups (you should touch your thumbs to your xiphoid process
(lightly!) when trying to touch your chest to the ground)

can you say this in stupid speak for me please?

My anus is superiorâ„¢

Ford Prefect
07-31-2001, 06:45 PM
Nice work, Dana! From my experience with my girlfreind, that is an accomplishment you should be proud of.

SevenStar
08-01-2001, 08:53 AM
"A xiphoid process is like where your rib cages meets in the front, in between your pecs"

Do you know what triangle push ups are? you may have heard them referred to as diamond pushups.

-SevenStar©

IronFist
08-06-2001, 04:48 AM
SevenStar,

To answer your question, I would bench periodically while on this program. When you went to test yourself, were you fresh? Or were you sore from a previous pushup workout?

Iron

SevenStar
08-06-2001, 06:38 AM
It was the day after pushups, but I wasn't sore. I hadn't been benching though. I think that's the major part of what happened.

-SevenStar©