PDA

View Full Version : The Punch Comes from the Heart

WingChunABQ
02-03-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm wondering about this kuit. How is it phrased in Chinese? In English, it could be a technical direction (start your punch in front of your chest) but it the words could suggest "hit with lots of spirit" or "hit like you mean it".

There seem to be a few translators on here. What does the Chinese actually say? What is the literal meaning and the shades of meaning?

Thanks very much!

CFT
02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
In Cantonese it is 'kuen yau sum faat'.
The fist (kuen) is launched (faat) from (yau) the heart (sum).

The problem is that 'sum' can mean the heart or the centre. So there can be different interpretations. 'From the heart' could mean not to stick to any patterns - i.e. be as natural and spontaneous as possible.

If you're thinking on a more physical plane then the 'sum' character is the same character in 'jung sum sin' (the centreline). Which shows the importance of the centreline to WCK.

sanjuro_ronin
02-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Every "poem" has the technical meaning and the strategic meaning.
It also means that one must punch with intent ( heart).

Vajramusti
02-03-2012, 09:55 AM

The problem is that 'sum' can mean the heart or the centre. So there can be different interpretations. 'From the heart' could mean not to stick to any patterns - i.e. be as natural and spontaneous as possible.

If you're thinking on a more physical plane then the 'sum' character is the same character in 'jung sum sin' (the centreline). Which shows the importance of the centreline to WCK.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Good post Chee.
Intent as well Sanjuro.

ABQ- are you now in NM or Tucson?

joy

Hendrik
02-03-2012, 10:05 AM
The following is the full kuit preserve by the yik kam lineage or cho family . Take a look on what happen in 1850. For me it has clearly define itself.

練習須知:

眼要對手
手要對心
手從心發
一絲不苟
柔中帶剛
剛中而柔
靜如平波
動似翻江

訣云:一任自然順脈氣

Ctf, see if you could please help us to translate this. Thanks and appreciate.

CFT
02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
眼要對手Eyes follow hand

手要對心Hand follows heart

手從心發Hand comes from the heart

一絲不苟Be meticulous ('without a thread of carelessness')

柔中帶剛Softness carries hardness ('yau jung dai gong')

剛中而柔Hardness has softness within ('gong jung yee yau)

靜如平波Silent like the gentle waves

動似翻江Motion like the raging river

WingChunABQ
02-03-2012, 10:56 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Good post Chee.
Intent as well Sanjuro.

ABQ- are you now in NM or Tucson?

joy

NM, with as many trips to Tucson and Santa Fe as I can afford (which isn't much).

WingChunABQ
02-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Thank you! This was exactly what I was looking for. So it could be both technical, literal and specific (originate your punches from the center of your body) or metaphorical (be spontaneous and don't stick to patterns).

Awesome!

kung fu fighter
02-03-2012, 12:17 PM
'From the heart' could mean not to stick to any patterns - i.e. be as natural and spontaneous as possible.

this makes the most sense to me

Phil Redmond
02-03-2012, 04:22 PM
I've had a few Sifu say it means start the punch at your saam/heart/solar plexus.

imperialtaichi
02-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Every "poem" has the technical meaning and the strategic meaning.
It also means that one must punch with intent ( heart).

拳由心發

I have to agree with Sanjuro.

In a fight, there is no such thing that the fists have to come from a certain location, such as middle, top, bottom whatever. In the chaos of a confrontation you may not have such luxury.

However, every action must come with true intent, ie your heart. You have to mean every action/strike with heart.

(example, watch how tennis pros play, or any other top level sportsmen)

imperialtaichi
02-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Or artist or musician or surgeon

Grumblegeezer
02-04-2012, 06:55 PM
The important thing I'm taking away from this discussion is that the double meaning that this kuen kuit has in English is also present in the original Cantonese. Like the OP, I always wondered about that. Certainly, the two levels of meaning make this one of the more interesting and relevant martial sayings of WC.

Hendrik
02-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Eyes follow hand

Hand follows heart

Hand comes from the heart

Be meticulous ('without a thread of carelessness')

Softness carries hardness ('yau jung dai gong')

Hardness has softness within ('gong jung yee yau)

Silent like the gentle waves

Motion like the raging river

Cft,

Thanks x1000!

Lee Chiang Po
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
You are trying to read way too much into this. It means exactly what it says. From the Center, which is the heart if you want. But center is between your shoulders. Sometimes you throw a punch from the shoulder but it intersects with your heart center. You can start the punch from the heart as well. Or the solar plexus. I prefer the heart. It does not mean spontanuaty or anything remotely like it. That is where hooks and roundhouse an hammer fists start getting into the mix. My dad spoke Canton. But, he told me in poor english, fiss alway come fom here. Then he would beat his fist against his chest, dead center. He never told me to be spontanious or creative with it. As for intent, You always punch like you mean it.