PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on running technique

Sardinkahnikov
02-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Found this little text about the toe striking method of running employed by the Tarahumara tribe of northwestern Mexico. These sick ******* are supposedly able to run extremely long distances barefooted and, most importantly, fast as hell.

link: http://www.mytreadmilltrainer.com/run-fast-injury-free.html

This article could on running fast and injury could have been about divulging some the secrets of the more well-known road runners or marathoners but I read a fascinating article some time ago about an incredible tribe in Mexico that would probably fly by the more "famous" runners. And they would probably do so without ever having to worry about getting injured!

Meet the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico. One of the few tribes in the world that live well into their hundreds. Another amazing feature of this tribe is that they are well known to be incredible distance runners. In fact, they are able to run more than 100 miles at a time, even in the 60s! In the 1993 Leadville ultramarathon, the winner was a 55 year old man from the Tarahumara tribe.

What’s even more amazing is that they don’t even wear shoes. They simply run in sandals that are attached to the feet by a few simple pieces of leather. And the best part – the runners in this tribe are almost all injury free! So what’s their secret? How can they run so long, in such heat, while only wearing sandals and being?

To find out more, I'm going to share 6 secrets of the Tarahumara running legends. Here we go.

Get Rid of the Overprotective Shoes

According to Gerard Hartmann, Ph.D, an exercise physiologist who works with the world’s greatest marathoners and is a consultant to Nike, most running injuries are a result of too much foam-injected pampering in today’s shoes. Running shoes have become so elaborately over cushioned and motion controlling that they cause the foot muscles to atrophy while shortening and stiffening our foot’s tendons. This is similar to core muscle atrophying that occurs with weightlifters that consistently employ waist belts.

The key is to choose shoes that are neutral, low-heeled, and comfortable. They should ideally allow your foot to do what it’s supposed to do. In fact, the optimal running condition is barefoot on grass. When your foot is allowed to move through its natural mechanics its intrinsic muscles will become stronger which will help pull the foot’s arches up into their optimal position. Barefoot training (or free running shoes) also improves proprioceptive (balance and spatial awareness) outcomes.

Land on the Balls of Your Feet

Contrary to traditional heel-to-toe running, the Tarahumara are well known for their forefoot striking tendencies. Many elite running coaches are now supporting the view that poor running form and landing mechanics are significant causes of chronic running injuries.

When you land on the heel of your foot you are in essence applying the brakes - slowing down your running stride - and transmitting greater amounts of force through your body’s passive structures (ie. bones, cartilage). After running this way for hundreds or thousands of miles, it can become quite damaging to your body. Think about – if you were to jump from a high elevation and land on your heels your body’s bones would be crushed by the force. However, if you’re like most human beings, you would logically land on the balls of your feet to absorb the shock! The same thing occurs with running.

The forefoot strike of the Tarahumara allows the leg act like a piston-like shock absorber. When you land on the balls of your feet, your leg is never really fully stretched. Therefore, the ground reaction forces are allowed to be absorbed by the active muscles (especially those in the calves).

If you decide to give this running technique a go, there a few things to keep in mind. First, keep your hips dead under your shoulders and dead above your feet to ensure proper form. Second, relax your leg muscles and engage your core so that the momentum is coming not from your quads but rather from your core muscles and glutes. Third, anticipate soreness in your calves after your first few runs. Because you’ll be landing on the balls of your feet, your calves will be eccentrically loaded (contracting while lengthening) during each foot strike. This is what causes muscle soreness – similar to the “negative” when lifting weights. Be sure to stretch them out after each run and to incorporate this forefoot striking technique as much or as little as you see fit during your runs.

Build Into Your Runs

The Tarahumara are not known to explode out of the starting gates but they are most often looking behind them as they cross the finish line. Their strategy is to start running with short, easy strides, progressively adding intensity as their muscles warm up. Makes sense! Remember, it isn’t where you start but where you finish that matters so ease into your runs and your body will switch to autopilot when it’s ready.

Recruit Your Abs

The core and abdominal muscles are key in allowing maximum energy transfer between upper and lower body. Therefore, let your core muscles propel you. Relax your legs while running; let them feel as if they’re hanging loose and spinning from pivot points in your hips. You should sense tension in your glutes, rather than your quads or hamstrings.

Stay Level – Don’t Bounce

As with any movement that requires horizontal motion, the more time you spend in the air the slower you go. Nowhere is this more applicable than in running. The Tarahumara are notorious for virtually eliminating up and down vertical motion. They run smooth and therefore don’t waste as much energy as other inefficient runners. Try running while balancing something on your head – a great test to see how much vertical motion you actually create.

Kick Your Butt

Ever notice how sprinters, in full stride, whip their heels up towards the butt? They do that for a reason. It’s actually a very effective way for runners to cycle their legs around for the next stride. It uses centrifugal force about the hips to propel you forward instead of drawing down your energy.

So there you go. 6 strategies that the legendary Tarahumara runners have handed down to us. Use them, practice them, and eventually they will become easier to incorporate into your running stride. As with anything new, incorporate them into your running workouts , give it some time and then watch the differences they make.

So, I'd like to hear the input of my forum colleagues on this one. I started to instinctively push myself forward with my toes while running when I became dissatisfied with my speed.

The article claim that the Tarahumara don't get injured from running with this technique; I've not experienced any pain or discomfort from running - however, I also run on soft sand, not asphalt, so I can't really say if the terrain I exercise on removes the potential impact that my joints would suffer as result of the "toe striking" technique.

Thoughts?

sanjuro_ronin
02-08-2012, 01:14 PM
People that spend their timing running are good runners.
That these guys that spend their time running long distance are great long distance runners means just that.
Look at the Kenyans and their barefoot running.
Of course they start out running like that from the moment they can run.
Of course many of the things that article mentions have been well know to SPRINTERS for a long time but eh, short distance runners never get the props, other than at the Olympics of course.
That this tribe supposedly lives into their hundreds has NOTHING to do with their distance running by the way, not even sure why the writer brought it up.

SavvySavage
02-08-2012, 02:02 PM
That article is typical of the new barefoot running craze. Running that far is great if you're a runner or like to run. But if you don't like to run....

sanjuro_ronin
02-08-2012, 02:05 PM
That article is typical of the new barefoot running craze. Running that far is great if you're a runner or like to run. But if you don't like to run....

I remember reading somewhere that we are NOT designed for long distance running anyway, more for the short burst of speed type of thing.

wenshu
02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Check out this technique called "100 up".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/magazine/running-christopher-mcdougall.html?pagewanted=all

I've been working with forefoot strike running for about 6 months. Aside from the excruciating calf cramps the first month or so I have never felt better about doing road work.

I love getting on the treadmill next to people who are doing the heavy scissor leg heel strike strides shaking the treadmill like crazy, thump thump thump thump, and my strides barely make a sound.

Your knees will thank you.

You don't need any fancy shoes like Vibrams, I wear either Feiyues or my New Balance's and they feel pretty much the same since even running shoes don't have much sole at the fore.

sanjuro_ronin
02-08-2012, 02:18 PM
I wonder how this could effect TCMA with their preference for "heel first" stepping....;)

Pork Chop
02-08-2012, 02:23 PM
I remember reading somewhere that we are NOT designed for long distance running anyway, more for the short burst of speed type of thing.

Well I don't think we're designed for long distance fast running, but as far as endurance athletes, humans are pretty legit. Was watching a documentary on evolution of humans, as well as a reality game show of people who were supposed to live like "cavemen", and they were both pretty clear that humans hunted by injuring their prey and tracking it long distances until it tired out so they could finish it off. In the reality show, they

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting#Persistence_hunting_in_human_e volution
http://www.physorg.com/news95954919.html
http://seedmagazine.com/content/print/the_running_man_revisited/

Just to be fair, here's Mark Sisson's rebuttal:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/did-humans-evolve-to-be-long-distance-runners/#axzz1lpMJhAHb

wenshu
02-08-2012, 02:24 PM
I wonder how this could effect TCMA with their preference for "heel first" stepping....;)

What's that from? Not being a smart ass this time; I've never even heard of that.

Actually, I don't really run that much anyways.

I do a lot of high intensity interval chain punching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgQyiEWdlNQ

wenshu
02-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Well I don't think we're designed for long distance fast running, but as far as endurance athletes, humans are pretty legit. Was watching a documentary on evolution of humans, as well as a reality game show of people who were supposed to live like "cavemen", and they were both pretty clear that humans hunted by injuring their prey and tracking it long distances until it tired out so they could finish it off. In the reality show, they

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting#Persistence_hunting_in_human_e volution

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/did-humans-evolve-to-be-long-distance-runners/#axzz1lpMJhAHb

If I recall something to do with how we are one of the few mammals that sweat which allows us to be able to run for long distances without stopping unlike other animals.

That primal lifestyle stuff is some of the worst kind of pseudoscience. I mean, a lot of what they encourage is good common sense diet stuff but the lengths they go to justify it is ridiculous.

Pork Chop
02-08-2012, 02:50 PM
That primal lifestyle stuff is some of the worst kind of pseudoscience. I mean, a lot of what they encourage is good common sense diet stuff but the lengths they go to justify it is ridiculous.

Not sure if what you're referring to includes the Paleo diet (a low carb diet built around the diet of ancient humans). I'm not a fan of Paleo myself. I know I'm a big fatty, but there's a certain level of self-denial when it comes to dieting that I'm really not willing to do anymore. I was a lot better at sticking to hugely restrictive diets when I was younger. This may just be me accepting my condition, but I would rather add healthy stuff to my diet and focus on eating more of that stuff, than cut out everything I like to eat. I can try to go out to eat less, I can stay away from alcohol, sweets, and some "bad" foods, but I'm not willing to give up rice, grains, cheese, or potatoes.

SavvySavage
02-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Not sure if what you're referring to includes the Paleo diet (a low carb diet built around the diet of ancient humans). I'm not a fan of Paleo myself. I know I'm a big fatty, but there's a certain level of self-denial when it comes to dieting that I'm really not willing to do anymore. I was a lot better at sticking to hugely restrictive diets when I was younger. This may just be me accepting my condition, but I would rather add healthy stuff to my diet and focus on eating more of that stuff, than cut out everything I like to eat. I can try to go out to eat less, I can stay away from alcohol, sweets, and some "bad" foods, but I'm not willing to give up rice, grains, cheese, or potatoes.

I was on the paleo diet for about a month before calling it quits. The whole month I was craving bread, grain, pizza. I love pizza and couldn't help turning my head whenever I drove past a pizza place. I go so sick of eating meat. It is a good way to lose weight though but I'm not sure if it's healthy to cut a whole food groups out. Now I just try to cut back on carbs and eat a lot of vegetables. Some might say that my body was recovering from the "addiction" to white flower but I don't think so. My body was mourning the loss of quick energy food.

My cousin used to say that we were "addicted" to the fats in meat which is why we craved it. Now I think we crave meat because we need it.

I had 4 amazing slices of pepperoni pIzzaguire yesterday and probably could've
finished the rest of the pie. It was great.

Drake
02-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Actually, I read quite the opposite. In fact, our persistance and ability to run long distances gave us an edge over other, less "in it for the long haul" animals.

I can run a solid 14 miles without stopping. No harm to my body whatsoever. I just make sure I rest for a day or so after. And I have flat feet!

monkey mind
02-08-2012, 05:51 PM
I've been doing the barefoot running thing for several months now. I'm still in the early stages so my mileage is low but already there are several things I like about it: the adjusted stride just feels smoother & more natural, my calves have always been chronically weak & they are getting stronger & with lower impact on my knees I can run more often. Also I find definite carry-over into my martial arts training (mostly wado ryu karate these days). Specifically, barefoot running reinforces the need to keep my weight on the balls of my feet, to keep my feet under my hips & to use light, quick footwork. I'm definitely a convert & since I switched to barefoot I enjoy running more than ever.

One last thing: there's lots more to good barefoot running technique than simply changing from a heel strike to a forefoot strike. Pushing off with the toes is not recommended. In fact, the experts recommend that you pick your hells up quickly in back. There's lots of detailed information on the web, the Barefoot Runner's Society (barefootrunners.org) is a good place to start.

Oso
02-08-2012, 07:42 PM
yea. POSE

http://posetech.com/

everybody has pretty much said it all. just my .02 is that for me, a bigger guy verging on bigfatfattie with a hip issue ( who ran cross country in HS and continued long distance running till a broken leg [work injury] in '98 ) the learning of POSE technique and doing sprint workouts just sort of makes sense because i think that there is no dispute that impact is bad and if you land heel first there IS impact. some individuals may not be bothered by that and some other individuals may be too youthful to understand the long term impact simply because they haven't experienced it yet.

adapting to the pose technique allowed me to run again which was awesome. i had sorta forgotten that i was a 'runner'.

wenshu
02-09-2012, 07:54 AM
One last thing: there's lots more to good barefoot running technique than simply changing from a heel strike to a forefoot strike. Pushing off with the toes is not recommended. In fact, the experts recommend that you pick your hells up quickly in back..

The "kick".

Oso
02-09-2012, 08:02 AM
yea, there is no 'push'...fall forward and keep picking the legs up.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 08:09 AM
What's that from? Not being a smart ass this time; I've never even heard of that.

Actually, I don't really run that much anyways.

I do a lot of high intensity interval chain punching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgQyiEWdlNQ

Oh I was just being silly but yes, most TCMA step with the heel first as opposed to JMA ( for example) that step with the ball of the foot.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 08:12 AM
I was on the paleo diet for about a month before calling it quits. The whole month I was craving bread, grain, pizza. I love pizza and couldn't help turning my head whenever I drove past a pizza place. I go so sick of eating meat. It is a good way to lose weight though but I'm not sure if it's healthy to cut a whole food groups out. Now I just try to cut back on carbs and eat a lot of vegetables. Some might say that my body was recovering from the "addiction" to white flower but I don't think so. My body was mourning the loss of quick energy food.

My cousin used to say that we were "addicted" to the fats in meat which is why we craved it. Now I think we crave meat because we need it.

I had 4 amazing slices of pepperoni pIzzaguire yesterday and probably could've
finished the rest of the pie. It was great.

Maybe the paleodiet was an option for our paleo cousins, but over the many generations our bodies have "evolved" to the exposure of grains and cereals and a more "agricultural" diet as opposed to a "hunter-gather" type.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 08:17 AM

I would have to agree with Mark base don other info I have read.

Pork Chop
02-09-2012, 08:37 AM
I would have to agree with Mark base don other info I have read.

I just realized that I never finished my post.
"In the reality show they hurt an elk with a long javelin-type thing, tracked it down until got tired, and killed it". But now that I think about it, they might've killed the elk with the first or second shot and not had to track it. It was a discovery channel show and I think you can probably find a clip on youtube.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I just realized that I never finished my post.
"In the reality show they hurt an elk with a long javelin-type thing, tracked it down until got tired, and killed it". But now that I think about it, they might've killed the elk with the first or second shot and not had to track it. It was a discovery channel show and I think you can probably find a clip on youtube.

I think it is one of those "combination of" as opposed to the "either.or" thing.
Yes they tracked the animal down, but probably by walking at a fast pace rather than endurance running and they probably attacked with explosive sprinting.
We are designed better for sprint then endurance and in terms of developed skillset, sprint is far easier developed than cardiovascualr endurance and then of course there is the energy issue.
Again, endurance played its part of course, I just don't think it was a "marathon" like pace.

Drake
02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
I think it is one of those "combination of" as opposed to the "either.or" thing.
Yes they tracked the animal down, but probably by walking at a fast pace rather than endurance running and they probably attacked with explosive sprinting.
We are designed better for sprint then endurance and in terms of developed skillset, sprint is far easier developed than cardiovascualr endurance and then of course there is the energy issue.
Again, endurance played its part of course, I just don't think it was a "marathon" like pace.

Our sprints are terrible compared to almost any other animal on the planet. People can run for miles. And miles. And miles. We are upright, two-legged runners. We can't sprint like our four legged friends.

A human, in decent shape, can "airborne shuffle" for an eternity.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Our sprints are terrible compared to almost any other animal on the planet. People can run for miles. And miles. And miles. We are upright, two-legged runners. We can't sprint like our four legged friends.

A human, in decent shape, can "airborne shuffle" for an eternity.

You can't compare our sprints with other animals, only other primates.
And while we certainly can run for miles, we can walk for more AND be better prepared to deal with what i s at the end of that walk.
Again, if we were "engineered" for endurance it wouldn't take so long to get it and it would be the first thing to go.
Know what I mean?

Drake
02-09-2012, 11:40 AM
You can't compare our sprints with other animals, only other primates.
And while we certainly can run for miles, we can walk for more AND be better prepared to deal with what i s at the end of that walk.
Again, if we were "engineered" for endurance it wouldn't take so long to get it and it would be the first thing to go.
Know what I mean?

If we got our cardio up to a healthy level, you could run 5 miles at an easy 8:00/mile pace and be perfectly capable of dealing with thatever is at the end of the road.

Humans just got fat and lazy. Even the humans we think are in decent shape are pretty sad compared to our ancestors. We are in such awe of African runners, but the fact is, they are just what we were.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 11:46 AM
If we got our cardio up to a healthy level, you could run 5 miles at an easy 8:00/mile pace and be perfectly capable of dealing with thatever is at the end of the road.

Humans just got fat and lazy. Even the humans we think are in decent shape are pretty sad compared to our ancestors. We are in such awe of African runners, but the fact is, they are just what we were.

Sure, but we are not talking about what we can train our bodies to do.
To think that our paleo ancestors trained running would be erroneous, they ran because they had to and they would conserve the most energy they could in doing so.
The fact that we are breaking world records in ALL the running events shows that we are becoming better at running.
Not to mention that the skeletons of the paleo humans we find don't really lend to the notion of a "world class" runner.
That we have tribes that run for very long distance means as much as the fact that Jamaicans ( and those of caribbean decent) have the top speeds in the sprint.

Drake
02-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Sure, but we are not talking about what we can train our bodies to do.
To think that our paleo ancestors trained running would be erroneous, they ran because they had to and they would conserve the most energy they could in doing so.
The fact that we are breaking world records in ALL the running events shows that we are becoming better at running.
Not to mention that the skeletons of the paleo humans we find don't really lend to the notion of a "world class" runner.
That we have tribes that run for very long distance means as much as the fact that Jamaicans ( and those of caribbean decent) have the top speeds in the sprint.

My ethnic background is one of slower, distance-based runners. Again, I can naturally run almost indefinitely. There was a time when my sprints were really fast too, but I had to constantly train that.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 11:52 AM
My ethnic background is one of slower, distance-based runners. Again, I can naturally run almost indefinitely. There was a time when my sprints were really fast too, but I had to constantly train that.

Not sure what that means...but the point I was trying to make is that a small group does not a pattern make.
The Kenyans are as good as they are because of the high altitude running and that they ran all the time since they were kids, which naturally translated to high level endurance running.
For that area great, not so great for an area that was mostly desert/ sand or tundra.
Don't see many marathons being held in the northern countries do we? or in the Sahara.
The environment would have dictated the type of hunting that was done, as it does today.

JamesC
02-09-2012, 12:06 PM
The human body evolved in such a way as to be incredibly adaptive.

It's another tired argument, just like the TMA vs MMA one on here. We're capable at both, but great at neither. Well, at least in terms of other animals.

Drake
02-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Not sure what that means...but the point I was trying to make is that a small group does not a pattern make.
The Kenyans are as good as they are because of the high altitude running and that they ran all the time since they were kids, which naturally translated to high level endurance running.
For that area great, not so great for an area that was mostly desert/ sand or tundra.
Don't see many marathons being held in the northern countries do we? or in the Sahara.
The environment would have dictated the type of hunting that was done, as it does today.

I'm not of Kenyan descent...

My point is, our bodies, as a race, are weak. We have a few specialists who still show what we are capable of, but most of us are shadows, physically, of what we were.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 12:13 PM

It's another tired argument, just like the TMA vs MMA one on here. We're capable at both, but great at neither. Well, at least in terms of other animals.

Hence my point that it was NOT a case of either/or, but a case of both.

Drake
02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
I still say we are well fit for distance running.

JamesC
02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Hence my point that it was NOT a case of either/or, but a case of both.

I wasn't disagreeing with you.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm not of Kenyan descent...

My point is, our bodies, as a race, are weak. We have a few specialists who still show what we are capable of, but most of us are shadows, physically, of what we were.

You are beginning to sound like Uki.
We are breaking human performance records all the time, at both the elite level AND the "everyday" athlete level.
Distance, speed, jump and lifting records are all being brokenm which means that we are running faster, longer, jumping higher and further, lifting more.
And we are doing that wearing spandex, that has got to count for something !

wenshu
02-09-2012, 12:16 PM

I like this.

The whole "we evolved in such and such a way therefore we should only do those specific things" is so boring. We should push the boundaries of what we are capable of.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 12:16 PM
I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Yes you were !!!
:mad:

* I can be such an argumentative SOB :D *

Drake
02-09-2012, 12:23 PM
We are breaking human performance records all the time, at both the elite level AND the "everyday" athlete level.
Distance, speed, jump and lifting records are all being brokenm which means that we are running faster, longer, jumping higher and further, lifting more.

Not "we". A select group of athletes. The rest of the country is dealing with a 75% obesity rate.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Not "we". A select group of athletes. The rest of the country is dealing with a 75% obesity rate.

Well, if you are saying that as a general population we are LESS equipped to deal with our environment, I would say that depends.
I agree that we are victims of a sedentary lifestyle, but outside the cases of morbid obesity, most people could change and adapt rather quickly.
yes, I agree the the general population is less fit then it was 1000 years ago or 1000 or even a million, BUT the potential for us is far greater than it would have been then.
Granted we are living longer than ever before because of relative peace and modern medicine, ( the main killers of the past were violence and illness) and one wonders what the man of yesteryear could have done under similar conditions but we may never know because we have gotten here where we are NOW because of what has happened to Us and our environment till this moment.

I don't know how correct it is to think that the majority of people in the ancient times were healthier than we are now.
There were still mentions of obese people back then, stil mentions of sedentary people and the same old debates we have now.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
And at 5-6 and 175lbs I am "overweight" according to most stats.
Borderline obese.

Drake
02-09-2012, 01:08 PM
And at 5-6 and 175lbs I am "overweight" according to most stats.
Borderline obese.

Are you like Rocky in Rocky III? Strong an' all, but needs to lean up, learn how to move "like a colored person" (According to Tommy), and then run on the beach in short shorts?

wenshu
02-09-2012, 01:48 PM
It's a weird disconnect. If people were so much more rugged back in the day, then why does life expectancy keep increasing? Outside of environmental control factors like better sanitation and medical care.

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Are you like Rocky in Rocky III? Strong an' all, but needs to lean up, learn how to move "like a colored person" (According to Tommy), and then run on the beach in short shorts?

LOL !
I can certainly be leaner, you saw my video clips of the PE fist right?

sanjuro_ronin
02-09-2012, 02:07 PM
It's a weird disconnect. If people were so much more rugged back in the day, then why does life expectancy keep increasing? Outside of environmental control factors like better sanitation and medical care.

No viking maruders, no pestilence, but if you look at the places in which everyday violence and health are concerns you will say a much lower average death age.
In N. America the average is pushing the 80's I think but in some parts of the world it's in the 40's.
In Canada we have more people over 100 than ever ( I think I read that somewhere).

SavvySavage
02-09-2012, 02:10 PM

I might be in the minority but I don't think being able to run a lot is amazing. If you practice at it it will come(Field of Dreams reference).

So what if Africans can win a 22 mile race. Can they do anything else? This goes for all runners not just Africans.

Personally I think part of the pinnacle of human physICal development lies in what gymnasts do. I don't mean the really thin women that do flips in the air. I'm talking about people that can do plank with just their arms supporting
them and not leaning on their feet. That's got more functionality than running a million miles.

Drake
02-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Not as many things to infect/eat/pillage/rape/burn/stab/impale/chop/beat/bury/crucify/drown/suffocate/incinerate/puncture/defile you, I imagine...

Pork Chop
02-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I can certainly be leaner, you saw my video clips of the PE fist right?

nope, think i saw a picture of you once, but that's about it.

JamesC
02-09-2012, 03:55 PM
That's got more functionality than running a million miles.

I fookin hate that word. So much.

Oso
02-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Maybe the paleodiet was an option for our paleo cousins, but over the many generations our bodies have "evolved" to the exposure of grains and cereals and a more "agricultural" diet as opposed to a "hunter-gather" type.

i think that the fact (at least, i think it's a fact) that lactose tolerance is the MUTATION and lactose intolerance the norm/baseline backs up the idea that we HAVE evolved/adapted to modern diets. the point the paleo people try to make that we haven't evolved in 10,000 years was a big sticking point with me.

as for the running...i think some people can run heel to toe just fine w/ no major issues and some can't. those that can't could probably benefit from trying POSE or whatever you want to call it.

Oso
02-09-2012, 05:41 PM

no doubt...in my experience with the crossfit crowd, they were mostly so busy training for functionality that they didn't actually DO anything functional.

SavvySavage
02-09-2012, 05:49 PM

Hating that word serves no FUNCTION. Oh I said it.

Having stronger hamstrings is more functional than having strong quads because you can do your girl doggy style without cramping....oh man I must be *****.

That's a functional of my paleo brain.

Oso
02-09-2012, 05:50 PM
haha...all this talk of Kenyans and no one has posted this????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs

uh, slightly nsfw...as if you shouldn't know what the link is to.

Oso
02-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Hating that word serves no FUNCTION. Oh I said it.

Having stronger hamstrings is more functional than having strong quads because you can do your girl doggy style without cramping....oh man I must be *****.

That's a functional of my paleo brain.

real men makes her do all the work...

;)

Drake
02-09-2012, 07:20 PM

I was thinking I was sounding more like a respected biologist from Harvard...

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~skeleton/pdfs/2007c.pdf

Pork Chop
02-09-2012, 07:44 PM
i think that the fact (at least, i think it's a fact) that lactose tolerance is the MUTATION and lactose intolerance the norm/baseline backs up the idea that we HAVE evolved/adapted to modern diets. the point the paleo people try to make that we haven't evolved in 10,000 years was a big sticking point with me.

Good point, I love milk and I'm not at all lactose intolerant.
Just polished off a glass of 1%.

If I went Paleo, I think I'd die- I couldn't imagine a life without Vietnamese Pho.

SavvySavage
02-09-2012, 09:30 PM
real men makes her do all the work...

;)

No way. I love taking the lead when it comes to s e x. I get bored when she takes over.

Anyway, I like what someone said about the lactose intolerance mutation thingy. I used to have issues with milk when I was a kid, kept eating ice cream regardless, and today I'm fine. I don't get bloated and have to take a dump right after.

Having a limited diet doesn't feel right.

Oso
02-10-2012, 04:31 AM
it were a joke...

sanjuro_ronin
02-10-2012, 07:00 AM
nope, think i saw a picture of you once, but that's about it.

Perv.
LOL !

sanjuro_ronin
02-10-2012, 07:03 AM
I was thinking I was sounding more like a respected biologist from Harvard...

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~skeleton/pdfs/2007c.pdf

Far be it for me to argue with some guy from Harvard, although Ia m sure that for every one claiming A there is at least another claiming B.
But I am not that interested in the subject to search for a rebuttal.
:D
Suffice to say that I don't agree that the pinnacle of human biological evolution happened millions of years ago.

Pork Chop
02-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Perv.
LOL !

thank you master... i assume my dirty old man training is coming along as expected?

Sardinkahnikov
02-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Wow, this forum moves way too fast for me. I come back a couple days later to see if there were any replies, and BANG four pages! Well, at least you guys seem to like the subject. All the better.

Seriously, thank you for the feedback. I enjoy running and I'm always looking for a method that will conserve my joints, so I figured I'd consult the honourable and knowledgeable colleagues of the forum :)

I guess I'll stick with this forefoot/barefoot stuff for a couple weeks and see how it works out.

Oso
02-10-2012, 03:46 PM
heh, you're lucky it stayed on point, at that. :)

JamesC
02-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Wow, this forum moves way too fast for me. I come back a couple days later to see if there were any replies, and BANG four pages! Well, at least you guys seem to like the subject. All the better.

Seriously, thank you for the feedback. I enjoy running and I'm always looking for a method that will conserve my joints, so I figured I'd consult the honourable and knowledgeable colleagues of the forum :)

I guess I'll stick with this forefoot/barefoot stuff for a couple weeks and see how it works out.

Worked for me. Forced me to run smoother, slower, more controlled, and it got rid of my shin splints caused from poor running technique in shoes.

wenshu
02-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Roadwork 2.0 the comeback (http://www.8weeksout.com/2012/02/23/roadwork-2-0-the-comeback/)

Relevant to the distance running debate.

Writing off methods like roadwork that have been proven for years to effectively increase aerobic fitness simply because they may appear slower than the skills of the sport is like saying there is no reason to do anything but spar because that’s the closet speed to an actual fight.

Can be applied to so many arguments around here.