PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Lin = The Shaolin Monk?

GeneChing
02-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm sure anyone who has read their sports section is aware of the rise of Linsanity. But will he be nicknamed the Shaolin Monk? Fingers crossed.

Linsanity: Jeremy Lin Tearing Down Walls and Inspiring the Masses (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1059781-linsanity-jeremy-lin-tearing-down-walls-and-inspiring-the-masses)
By Aliyaho Pearce
(Contributor) on February 9, 2012
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/565/148/linsanity_crop_340x234.jpg?1328775958

Jeremy Lin has inspired the masses. I think I have probably seen these Jeremy Lin highlights fifteen or twenty times by now. There's something about the way he captivates the crowd and his teammates that I really love in the video. He is the Harvard Hero. Linsanity. The Shaolin Monk.

It's a great story.

Great story, but it's a little tough to portray a kid who had his pick of Ivy League schools as an underdog. Holding a Harvard Economics degree is a pretty decent plan B if the whole basketball thing doesn't work out.

But an Asian American as a NBA guard?

Playing in the basketball Mecca?

An Ivy Leaguer in the NBA?

That's a little different. Jeremy Lin has been treated as a novelty since his days as a high school ball player—overlooked and underestimated because of the way he looks. He is the starting point guard for the New York Knicks. He did not receive one athletic scholarship offer coming out of high school.

To say that race may have played a factor in the way he was assessed is a violent understatement.

So for a guy who has every reason not to be where he is right now, I'm going to go ahead and say that as a basketball player—Jeremy Lin has overcome quite a bit.

The NBA is where some of the most physically gifted individuals on the planet compete at the highest level. Individuals that earn millions of dollars because they, like Liam Neeson, possess a very specific set of skills. We admire and celebrate them, but rarely can we relate to their otherworldly talents.

Its players like Jeremy Lin that come along and humanize the NBA. To loosely paraphrase some Tupac: He is the little skinny dude battling guys three-times his size.

So the events that transpired at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night were nothing short of amazing. There was definitely a buzz in the air. As the game unfolded and Jeremy Lin continued to play out of his mind, you began to realize that this would be the greatest moment of his life. I couldn't help but feel good for the guy.

It was clear that the chants raining down from the Garden were not for Carmelo Anthony, not for Amar'e Stoudemire—not even Boo's for Kris Humphries. The praise was for a young Jeremy Lin, backpedaling his way down the floor after scoring a contested bucket in the paint.

"Jer-em-y, Jer-em-y, Jer-em-y"

The smile he had on his face said it all. He was as dumbfounded as the rest of us, but he was trying his best to hide it. Lin had his very own Jordan Shrug moment (Please relax Air Jordan elitists).

All this for a guy who most would assume is the Knicks' advanced statistician, not on the floor running Mike D'Antoni's offense.

With about two minutes left in the game, the Knicks held a small lead. Lin had the ball just above the three-point line and called for a screen. Tyson Chandler came to give him one, but Lin saw an opening and penetrated the lane. He split two defenders and scored at the rim while absorbing contact.

And one.

The building literally exploded. The players on the bench were already on their feet jumping and hugging each other. Jeremy let out a roar—his teammates mobbed him. The crowd was wild. Complete strangers exchanged high fives and danced together in their rows.

The producers at MSG Network were desperately scanning the crowd for shots of celebrating Asian fans—and rest assured that there were plenty. It was freaking pandemonium. Jeremy Lin had lit Madison Square Garden on fire.

Does Baron Davis take Jeremy Lin's starting Spot?
Yes No Submit Vote vote to see results
Awesome, awesome moment.

After the game he was humble in victory, citing his teammates and dismissing all the praise. It was their third game in three days, and the tired Knicks team needed some kind of spark off the bench. Instead, what they found was a new starting point guard.

The fact that he comes from relative privilege and holds a prestigious degree has afforded him certain luxuries that many who also struggle to break into the NBA do not have. A safety net like that certainly helps along the way—this much is true. But as an overlooked Asian American basketball player, his resolve and determination is inspiring.

Even beyond race and ethnicity, this is a David vs. Goliath kind of story. Rocky vs. Apollo Creed. Hickory High vs. South Bend. The little guy that gets a shot and takes it. Going the distance with the champ. Stepping onto the biggest stage with the brightest lights and not backing down.

It's the kind of story that people in all walks of life can admire and look up to. And for that, in this moment, Jeremy Lin is a special player.

enoajnin
02-09-2012, 10:48 AM
So, he went to Harvard. It's kind of a lot noise for a guy who has only played really well in 3 games.

but he did make a funny video:How I got into Harvard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9yVnKQNj58)

doug maverick
02-09-2012, 05:17 PM
what enoajin said...but i think he is getting the knicks to step it up and when mello comes back he is going to be in beast mode.

GeneChing
02-09-2012, 06:25 PM
And if the next Yao Ming goes by the nickname Shaolin Monk, I'm all for it.

You got to think like the NBA. Yao Ming was their foot in the door to China. Everyone wants to get into China - UFC, NBA, Hollywood - it's that old adage: if I could sell just one issue of Kung Fu Tai Chi to every person in China...

enoajnin
02-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Don't you mean the Shaolin Dunk! Sorry, I couldn't help it.

LFJ
02-10-2012, 12:44 PM
More like "Shaolin Layman/Layup" from the looks of it. :rolleyes:

GeneChing
02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Don't forget Kung Fu Dunk (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49939). They tried to poach Shaolin Soccer off us with taiji basketball. Now we're taking it back. :p

Long life Shaolin Monk Linsanity!

doug maverick
02-11-2012, 01:33 PM
he did the **** thing last night...38 points against the freaking lakers...no easy feet...and without none of the big name guys there, well except chandler. and he is doing his thing.

JamesC
02-11-2012, 04:14 PM
This is vaguely reminiscent of Tebow...

Except that Lin actually seems to deserve the attention he's getting.

jethro
02-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Exciting time to be a Knicks fan. 5 game winning streak now. The last time I was this excited was when we were an 8 seed and made it to the finals. Too bad that when Mello comes back we will start losing again.

GeneChing
02-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Jeremy Lin: He's No Tim Tebow, but He Sure Is a Story (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1062968-jeremy-lin-hes-no-tebow-but-he-sure-is-a-story)
By Hayden Kim (Correspondent) on February 12, 2012

You've probably heard of the guy by now, but there's a guy named Jeremy Lin, aka "Linsanity," "Shaolin," "Linpossible," I mean you name it. He is one of the hottest sports stories of this year so far and is sweeping the nation off its heels as we speak. Did I mention he is of Asian descent?

Who would of thought a 6'3'', 200-lb Taiwan-American would be averaging 26.8 points along with 8.0 assists per game all while leading the New York Knicks to their fifth consecutive win this season?

Whether you know it not, we the fans have been privileged to have experienced one of the best football stories in the history of the game in Tim Tebow, and like it or not, we are seeing the same in the world of basketball right now.

Both Tebow and Lin have shown that there are players and athletes out there that don't look the part, but sure as hell play the part. Lin may be small and skinny, but it doesn't look like it matters at this point.

Lin has been the epitome of hard work and the unexpected. He has gone against the grain in every sense of what it takes to be an NBA player today and is doing it with ease.

Even if Lin were to retire at this very moment, he has already paved the paths for countless children out there in this world today and will be remembered for years to come.

But how long will Lin last in this league? Ten, 20, 30 games more? Can he really continue this streak of nearly averaging a double-double every night?

No one knows at this moment, and to be honest, no one cares. Every sports fan alongside Lin himself is trying to soak in what seems to be one of the best streaks the NBA has seen in this generation, possibly history, and for now, everyone just wants to go along for the ride.

Lin had 20 points, eight assists and six rebounds tonight against the much-improved Minnesota Timberwolves and has once again led the Knicks to a win. He did, however, go 1-of-12 from the field in the second half, but made that up with a crucial winning free throw down the stretch. I guess in this case all we can say is all Lin does is "Lin, Lin, Lin."

Any second now were all secretly hoping for an iconic moment that will forever label Lin's legacy, whether that be similar to Tebow's "Tebowing," or ****mbe Mutombo's "finger." Whatever it may be, I sure hope it's something good, but for now, Lin by himself is all that every sports fan needs especially Knick fans, which is simply, an underdog to cheer for.

Lin may end up being among the thousands of players before him that have had surprising streaks out of no where that had lasted only 10-15 games before opposing teams had figured them out, or he may continue to surprise as Tebow did this year.

The biggest problem for Lin at this very moment will be the return of injured Carmelo Anthony, Amar'e Stoudemire and the ever so forgotten, Baron Davis.

If Lin manages to still be relevant when all three players return, we can truly label him as someone who has "made it" in the NBA.

As an Asian-American myself, it has been a thrill to say the least to see a fellow Asian-American athlete work himself to the top and it truly is inspiring.

If you haven't already watched the Knicks play, or haven't watched ESPN for the last week, it's not too late to jump on the Lin bandwagon because everyone who enjoys and loves sports should appreciate a miracle in the making.

This truly is a once in a lifetime moment, don't let it pass you by.

http://cache1.bigcartel.com/product_images/53548305/300.jpg
My Lin Ja shirt (http://store.myninjaclothing.com/product/my-linja-limited-edition-tee)

enoajnin
02-13-2012, 11:22 AM
I like how the author describes the 6' 3" 200lb Lin as small and skinny. How about really tall for a point guard?

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Because all he does is Lin Lin Lin. Go MIT.

brothernumber9
02-14-2012, 09:01 AM
6'3" is right around average for an NBA point guard.
There will undoubtedly be some race based talk or criticism because there have been very few (if any) American born asian point guards in the NBA, and in Lin's first 5 games he has already broken a few records.
Mayweather and some sports report who's name escapes me now, have already made insensitive comments.

enoajnin
02-14-2012, 10:34 AM
It's average for a point guard but it's not an average for regular humans.

Mayweather tweeted that if Lin were a black man, he wouldn't be generating all this news. Mayweather says all black point guards do what Lin does everynight.

However no one has put up the numbers Lin put up in his first eight starts. Not even LeBron James.

doug maverick
02-14-2012, 02:24 PM
i think mayweather is missing the point that this dude wasnt a draft and came off the bench...thats why he is getting this attention.

Brule
02-14-2012, 02:29 PM
I think they're also playing the race angle and not just the fact he's undrafted and a bench player. It's everything together, unfortunatley some people play the race card as their only play.

GeneChing
02-14-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm not into basketball at all.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bJAjTdvHZ0Y/TkvalcJIIdI/AAAAAAAAB48/ZykmSzIKaQQ/s1600/jeremy-lin-speed-boat-planking-nba-funny-photos.jpg
Jeremy Lin planking

jethro
02-14-2012, 08:28 PM
6 in a row now thanks to a game winning 3 from Lin:D

kentchang
02-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Jeremy Lin is moving up in the world to the 20th floor of posh Trump Tower in downtown White Plains.

David Jamieson
02-15-2012, 08:52 AM
It's an interesting story.

I find it weird that he went from:

An Asian Basketball star to/ A Chinese basketball star,/ to a Chinese American basketball star/ and now he's Taiwanese Basketball star...

the dude is pretty much american, but reverse racism is always good isn't it? lol

Guy's a good player for a 6' 3" player!

Good enough for the NBA, not sure why people drape all their crap onto him, but I guess that's how it goes in celebrity worship land.

Jimbo
02-15-2012, 09:45 PM
It's average for a point guard but it's not an average for regular humans.

Mayweather tweeted that if Lin were a black man, he wouldn't be generating all this news. Mayweather says all black point guards do what Lin does everynight.

However no one has put up the numbers Lin put up in his first eight starts. Not even LeBron James.

They were interviewing the managers who had either passed Lin up or dropped him from their teams, and they were saying they don't know why they passed up/dropped him; that it's one of those 'undefinable' things. BS. If they were honest, they'd just say they didn't think an Asian guy could play as well as a black guy or a white guy. They judged him on his appearance rather than his abilities or potential abilities.

doug maverick
02-16-2012, 06:06 PM

An Asian Basketball star to/ A Chinese basketball star,/ to a Chinese American basketball star/ and now he's Taiwanese Basketball star...

the dude is pretty much american, but reverse racism is always good isn't it? lol

Good enough for the NBA, not sure why people drape all their crap onto him, but I guess that's how it goes in celebrity worship land.

i dont believe in that term...racism is racism...not such nonsense as reverse racism.

hskwarrior
02-17-2012, 10:17 AM
HOW THE PHUK THIS GET HERE? OFF TOPIC NEEDS TO STAY IN OFF TOPIC....:eek: WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

ShaolinDiva
02-17-2012, 10:50 AM
They were interviewing the managers who had either passed Lin up or dropped him from their teams, and they were saying they don't know why they passed up/dropped him; that it's one of those 'undefinable' things. BS. If they were honest, they'd just say they didn't think an Asian guy could play as well as a black guy or a white guy. They judged him on his appearance rather than his abilities or potential abilities.

Ain't this the truth. They just never thought an Asian smart guy from Harvard could play ball. in truth actually, in many Asian communities in the USA, Asians do play a lot of basketball .

But if Shaolin warrior monks can play basketball,we all know they would be slam dunking without a problem . Their layups would be Shaolin style all the way with an added acrobatic feat just for kicks.

We all know that NBA is in awe of Shaolin .

enoajnin
02-17-2012, 11:28 AM
When I was at Shaolin, I shot a lot of video of the boys playing basketball at the Wushuguan in the Ancestor's courtyard. They had to drag out the baskets to play. I think it eight on eight.

GeneChing
02-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Against monks, no less. There weren't any rules per se so you could double-dribble. At that time, and this was long before Yao Ming, China only got basketball highlights, so they didn't really have any sense of the game beyond dribble and shoot.

We played because it reminded us of that great scene in Kentucky Fried Movie where everyone is training and shooting hoops.

David Jamieson
02-17-2012, 01:08 PM
i dont believe in that term...racism is racism...not such nonsense as reverse racism.

In the possessive sense to the exclusion of other claims and allusions to. It's pedantry, yes. Otherwise I agree.

ShaolinDiva
02-18-2012, 01:55 PM

Ch*ink in the Armor!? Should we, Asians, get all hot and heavy over this? C'mon ESPN, you should know better!

We can't even say "Ch*ink" here in this forum, what makes it OK for ESPN?? I dunno but my panties are all in a bunch over this poor choice of words. :p

Syn7
02-18-2012, 05:39 PM
I haven't really payed any attention to basketball since "the argument". Turned me right off of the sport. Sad huh.

So was this kid a walk on then?

Syn7
02-18-2012, 05:42 PM

the dude is pretty much American, but reverse racism is always good isn't it? lol

It may be his downfall. Too many expectations can have a very negative effect on a kid. Especially a smart one. Dumb people cope with stress much better than those who can see it more clearly. and Jeremy Lin is apparently a smart guy.

Shaolin Wookie
02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
I love to see a breakout player who has talent, yet has been benched by prior teams.

As for the racial issue, seems absolutely ridiculous to play that angle. Just shows how people still have racial solidarity at the root of their prejudices, which is not really a good thing if you sit a minute and think about it.

I went to an Olympic Game in 1996--USA vs. China. It was an all-out dunkfest for the USA, but I didn't walk out of hte game saying---man, those Chinese people certainly can't play basketball; nor did I say--man, blacks and whites can sure kick the crap out of Asians in professional sports. Who cares?

Now, a midget in the NBA, then we could talk about something....

Shaolin Wookie
02-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Actually, as a 5'0'' white kid trying out for high school basketball, I recall hearing the white high school coach calling out during tryouts--"If you're not 6'0 and black, then we're not looking at you right now." Meaning, he had his core starters (some of whom were white, one of whom was 6'10''), but he was looking to fill in other slots. I was good enough at 5'0" to kill it in rec leagues, but I understood that I probably didn't have the skills for a regimented team that competed for state championships every year. But if you looked at the surface, the coach's comment might be singled out as racial discrimination, or mabye heightalism.

I guess that's why I find these "they didn't take me seriously because I'm asian" stories very unconvincing. Sure, Lin had some honors attached to his name. But so did Christian Laettner...LOL. Can't always trust a list of merits and honors. Proof is always in the puddin'

Maybe his puddin' got lost in the shuffle, or maybe it matured late.

Jimbo
02-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I agree with you to an extent, but if you think people aren't ever judged on their appearance (which can include race) in many aspects of life, then you are wrong. It happened in the past, and it still happens now. It happens in many walks of life, professions/pursuits. People tend to have expectations or judgments about other people, positive or otherwise, based on how they look. It's natural, and it occurs naturally several times a day, whether we're conscious of it or not.

I'll give an example. In a fighting division at a tournament, there was a short, white, slightly chunky, nerdy-looking (and nervous-looking) guy in the lineup. A lot of the c0cky, tough-looking guys were trying to line up close to him, seeing him as an easy target. Well, it turned out, everyone got it wrong, and he was very good, very rough and very aggressive, and could take a hit. Everyone had automatically assumed, based on his looks, that he would be a pushover. This is a different case altogether from Jeremy Lin, but I think you get the idea that we all make automatic judgments about people all the time, whether we're right or not.

Of course, IMO Jeremy Lin should be appreciated for his work on the basketball court, and that's it.

Shaolin Wookie
02-19-2012, 01:18 PM
In a fighting division at a tournament, there was a short, white, slightly chunky, nerdy-looking (and nervous-looking) guy in the lineup.

We're all friends here. No need to hide behind lables. It was you, wasn't it.

JK.;):D

Jimbo
02-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Nah...I was one of those who had underestimated the guy. I'm of Asian descent, BTW. :)

enoajnin
02-19-2012, 02:52 PM
I just spent the afternoon watching the Knicks play the Mavericks. It was a thoroughly enjoyable game. The Knicks won. Spike Lee wore a Jeremy Lin jersey from Harvard. And Lin played really well, including an F. U to Seven Foot Dirk by shooting a three over his head.

Here is the problem. In no rational world should I give two cents about the Knicks. It's New York, unless you are from there, you hate all their professional teams. And if you don't, you need to see a doctor. Yet, here I am rooting them on to beat the Mavs. It's Bizarro world and Jeremy Lin is at the root of it.

The thing is, it's a Disney feel good movie played out in real time. It's the best reality show on TV. In the next chapter played Monday night, we find out how the return of Carmelo Anthony will effect the team. Will Anthony be the selfish guy who kills the chemistry that has been created over the last two weeks? Or will Carmelo buy into the new found team first mentality infusing the team? I don't want to watch. But I need to know.

Shaolin Wookie
02-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Lin is definitely the real deal. I don't think he's going to gel well with Carmello, though. Nevertheless, Lin is the real deal.

As a side note, ESPN fired a commentator for making a joke after one of Lin's great performances that "some lucky lady will be getting a couple inches of pleasure tonight!" The Asian PC community crucified the commentator for making a joke that capitalized on p3n1s length of asians, and they managed to influence ESPN to get the guy canned.

REally?

Nobody has a sense of humor anymore. Are white guys and Puerto Ricans the only ones who don't get all angry when someone makes a racial joke anymore?

enoajnin
02-19-2012, 04:57 PM
I know one guy got fired and the on air announcer got suspended for 30 days for the ***** in the armor comment.

I think the only reason Lin knew about it was because people kept asking him about it.

GeneChing
02-20-2012, 10:27 AM
6869Ch*ink in the Armor!? Should we, Asians, get all hot and heavy over this? C'mon ESPN, you should know better!

We can't even say "Ch*ink" here in this forum, what makes it OK for ESPN?? I dunno but my panties are all in a bunch over this poor choice of words. :p

No worries, ShaolinDiva. ESPN fired that writer. You can unbunch your panties now.

ESPN fires writer of offensive headline about Jeremy Lin (http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/19/sport/espn-lin-slur/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 8:02 AM EST, Mon February 20, 2012

(CNN) -- ESPN has fired the employee responsible for writing an offensive headline about basketball sensation Jeremy Lin and suspended an anchor who used the same ethnic slur, the sports network said Sunday.

The headline read "***** in the Armor," referencing the New York Knicks' 89-85 loss Friday night to the New Orleans Hornets that ended the team's season-high winning streak.

The phrase has two meanings; one is an ethnic slur.

Lin, 23, came off the bench earlier this month to guide the Knicks to win after improbable win. The unlikely star of Taiwanese descent quickly turned into a global brand and "Linsanity" became the phrase of the times.

The ESPN headline Saturday morning was up for 35 minutes before being removed, but the damage was done. The network apologized Saturday and said it was "engaged in a thorough review."

It also apologized for a question ESPN anchor Max Bretos asked Wednesday night: "If there is a ***** in the armor, where can Lin improve his game?"

The network said Sunday that a third reference was made on ESPN Radio New York on Friday.

"The incidents were separate and different," ESPN said in a statement Sunday. "We have engaged in a thorough review of all three."

Lin addressed the controversy during a news conference Sunday following the Knicks' 104-97 win over the Dallas Mavericks, the defending national champions. He said he did not think the headline was intentional.

"I don't think it was on purpose," Lin said. "At the same time, they've apologized. I don't care anymore."

ESPN said the writer of the headline that appeared on the network's mobile website has been dismissed. Bretos has been suspended for 30 days. The radio commentator was not an ESPN employee.

"We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin," ESPN said. "His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN.

"Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future," ESPN said.

What gets me is that Lin is like me - He's CALIFORNIAN more than Chinese. Born in LA, raised in Palo Alto (just across Dumbo bridge from where I'm sitting right now).

Shaolin Wookie
02-20-2012, 11:12 AM
No worries, ShaolinDiva. ESPN fired that writer. You can unbunch your panties now.

What gets me is that Lin is like me - He's CALIFORNIAN more than Chinese. Born in LA, raised in Palo Alto (just across Dumbo bridge from where I'm sitting right now).
[Warning: somewhat unrelated commentary]

I think it's one of those weird ambiguities in Anglo-American culture. We never clearly define "race," and so our racial/cultural designations are always whacked out. In point of fact, many cultures don't make a good distinction. Back in the 1800s, "race" was closer to "linguistic-group" or "nationality." Nowadays, "race" can be anything from skin color to "linguistic-group" to "nationality" to some agglomeration of stereotypes. Lin is "Chinese" by way of genealogy, but it makes no sense to call him Chinese except that he looks stereotypically/genetically Asian, and he speaks one of the Chinese dialects. He might be more "Californian," but it wouldn't make as much sense to call him that, since "Californian" doesn't really evoke any stereotypical-genetic schematic the way "Chinese" does to Americans.

People seem only to get offended because we have no idea WHAT a race is anymore. By all means, "stereotpyical" asian classification has no normative value attached to it. It should be the least offensive variety of racial identification, but it has become demonized by cultural sensitivity cliques who seem to gripe about WHAT a "race" actually is, when it isn't really anything but a general and superficial classification. They keep shifting the discussion to normative valuations or the need for a lack of normative valuations instead of just defining their terms.

GeneChing
03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Jeremy Lin the Movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjxlKC96l5s)

GeneChing
04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
He should go to Shaolin to recovery...;)

Jeremy Lin tweets photo of himself recovering in hospital bed (http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-jeremy-lin-20120403,0,1370571.story)
By Chuck Schilken
April 3, 2012, 10:46 a.m.

@JLin7

Praise God for a successful surgery...road to recovery! Lets goo. Much love to the fans for your support and kind words pic.twitter.com/K5AvGRIq
2 Apr 12
http://p.twimg.com/ApgpR6nCMAA9vi6.png

Jeremy Lin has been in seemingly constant contact with his fans since undergoing knee surgery Monday, sending out a photo of himself recovering in his hospital bed (above) on Twitter and participating in a lengthy Q&A session on his Facebook page after he returned home that night.

The photo itself may not be the most uplifting -- who wants to see their hero hooked up to an IV? -- but the spirit behind it certainly was: “Praise God for a successful surgery…road to recovery! Lets goo. Much love to the fans for your support and kind words," the New York Knicks star point guard tweeted.

According to the Knicks, the surgery on a chronic small meniscal tear in Lin's left knee was successful. He's expected to be out for about six weeks, although he wrote during the Facebook Q&A: "i hope ill be back for the playoffs! its killin me to watch the team without being able to play but i need to make sure my knee is 100% before i get back on the court so we will wait and see"

The NBA playoffs begin April 28.

Also during the Q&A, Lin admitted to being "deathly afraid of needles," joked that he wouldn't commit any turnovers the next six weeks, said he was going to start rehab on Tuesday and broke the hearts of many young fans by informing them: "im sorry i cant go to any proms, i will still be rehabbing, practicing and at knicks games lol."

Just how dedicated is Lin to his fans? Judge for yourself based on this tweet Monday night: "WOW just threw up in the middle of the Q&A lol. time to get some rest but before i go just wanna say much love to all you fans!"