PDA

View Full Version : Question about a Boston Hung Gar school.

HaiAn817
02-13-2012, 06:36 AM
Anyone on here know anything about this school: http://hunggarboston.com/? I visited it last week and it seemed legit. Only thing is the sifu lives far away, 2 hours, and only comes in once a week. They do have senior students, instructor and sifu level they called it, teaching classes. I talked with one of the sifu level guy and he seemed to know what he was saying but then again I am fairly new to the whole CMA thing so I wouldn't be able to spot BS as good. Any info would be great, thanks.

brothernumber9
02-13-2012, 08:40 AM
It is fairly common that the Sifu teach the instructors who in turn teach the beginning students, and as the student progresses would likely have more and more interaction directly with the Sifu.

I don't study Hung Ga, but have been around long enough to recognise it when I see it. This school sports the Lam Jo insignia, one of the most prominant lineages globally in Hung Ga that come from the Wong Fei Hung line, so I would assume they are from that branch of Hung Ga. This doesn't automatically validate the school or teacher, but is at least an initial indication that they are more likely than not an honest traditional Hung Ga school. Just the same 2 hrs is a hell of a hike. If you are dead set on HG, and nothing is closer, then give it a shot, and if they require contracts, see if you can have some sort of adjustment made since you are traveling so far. Hopefully you end up finding something more convenient, but best of luck to you.

TenTigers
02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
two hours isn't far. I made that trip on a weekly basis, often coming back at 2:00am.
(well, after stopping at Noodletown or Yummy Noodles for, "Sum-yea Jook!";-)

Subitai
02-13-2012, 11:46 AM
I can vouch for Sifu Winchell Ping Chiu Woo to the best of my knowledge. (not that he needs it)

He's old school, one of the earliest established Sifu's from the Boston area. Authentic lineage (if that's important to you) and his knowledge of Hung Gar is deep.

I met him about 2 yrs ago now and have interacted with his school in Boston. Since my school is in Southeastern CT. i'm not that far away, so I attend some of his parties and functions.

He is very open and approachable, a true Gentleman. He is well known and very respected. His Lion Dance is arguably the best and most sought after in his area.

It's true that he only goes back to his kwoon on Sundays. But i've met Nathan,Ed and a few others at the school and they are very good instructors.

Chiu Mo Kwoon is Legit.

"O"

Dale Dugas
02-13-2012, 12:34 PM
I travel to my teacher in Texas, annually for training.

O, let me know when you are in town. Would love to have some noodles with you.

HaiAn817
02-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Sorry for the confusion, the school itself is in the Boston area so its like 20 minutes for me. The sifu is the one that travels 2 hrs from Springfield to the school once a week.

The general consensus that I am getting is that this is a good school. I will follow everyone's recommendation and join the school. My thanks to everyone that contributed.

Subitai
02-13-2012, 01:35 PM
I travel to my teacher in Texas, annually for training.

O, let me know when you are in town. Would love to have some noodles with you.

Whoaaaaah!!!
Did you say noodles???? Don't have to twist my arm brother, haha, I'll let you know for sure.