PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun With MMA Gloves?

Yoshiyahu
02-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Can you utilize your WC effectively with MMA gloves on?

http://www.martialdevelopment.com/wordpress/wp-content/images/lawler-smith-title-bout.jpg

Can you still Pak Da, Tan Da, Jum Da, and Lop Da With MMA Gloves on?

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/tda-pics/July06/Open-handhook.jpg

what about Bong Sau, Bil Sau, Gan Sau, Gum Sau, Lan Sau...Can you apply these techniques with gloves on?

http://www.grandmastersupplies.com/images/10-585%20MMA%20Gloves.jpg

Can you apply WC principles with the gloves on...If not Which ones do the gloves Prohibit?

TenTigers
02-22-2012, 12:59 PM
shouldn't make a difference-most of your touching is bridge/forearm/wrist, not so much hand.
Gloves is just an excuse.

anerlich
02-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Yes to all questions.

Chadderz
02-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Doesn't affect anything really.

Ozzy Dave
02-22-2012, 03:58 PM
MMA gloves are great.

You can apply all WC techniques.

However, I don't use wraps underneath as have found it hampers wrist mobility a bit too much.

Dave

jesper
02-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Have you ever even tried wearing those during sparring?

Its a cop out for not going all out once in a while to pressure test your skills.

Just put on a helmet, body shield and some gloves and go test your **** skills instead of just playing around and think you can actually fight.

anerlich
02-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Yes.

Its a cop out for not going all out once in a while to pressure test your skills.

MMA gloves are designed for sparring and fighting where you add clinch work, takedowns and groundfighting. If you don't do that occasionally, you're not really in a position to describe the OP or anyone else's methods as a cop out.

Just put on a helmet, body shield and some gloves and go test your **** skills instead of just playing around and think you can actually fight.

You can spar with big gloves, small gloves, hands only, hands and feet, with or without grappling and groundfighting, with or without full or any contact, etc. etc. each of which has a different set of most suitable equipment.

It's only on this forum where each poster is required to choose a single exclusive sparring method and defend it against all naysayers until their head explodes.

Ozzy Dave
02-22-2012, 09:48 PM

Everyone can fight the question is effectively or not.

I would think putting on gear was the logical prequel to pressure testing and a discussion on the merits of a particular style of glove a good topic.

For instance, I've "pressure tested" with helmet (full face) and chest protector only but found that my hands would get cut up on the helmet, hence my enthusiasm for MMA gloves.

Dave

Yoshiyahu
02-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Right Right...

With No gloves against an helmet...you need to use palm strikes exclusively in my opinion...

But i perfer the face shield helmets...because they allow for face strikes with out having to worry about busting your partners nose...

I dont have a vest yet....Looking forward to get one of those for kicks to the body...But WC in reality doesnt kick above the waist...

Everyone can fight the question is effectively or not.

I would think putting on gear was the logical prequel to pressure testing and a discussion on the merits of a particular style of glove a good topic.

For instance, I've "pressure tested" with helmet (full face) and chest protector only but found that my hands would get cut up on the helmet, hence my enthusiasm for MMA gloves.

Dave

mjw
02-22-2012, 11:20 PM
I don't like the space in-between the fingers for tan but don't mind them for the paks etc. you may lose a little bit of sensitivity with the gloves over the back of the hands but otherwise its just a lame excuse that wc doesn't work with the gloves.

CFT
02-23-2012, 03:10 AM
You can do all of the above. Slight restriction to huen sau but you don't apply huen sau like you train it in the form anyway (not so exagerrated).

The only thing is that the edges of the velcro tabbing around the wrists might cause light lacerations to the face. No big deal really.

jesper
02-23-2012, 03:24 AM
Yes.

MMA gloves are designed for sparring and fighting where you add clinch work, takedowns and groundfighting. If you don't do that occasionally, you're not really in a position to describe the OP or anyone else's methods as a cop out.

You can spar with big gloves, small gloves, hands only, hands and feet, with or without grappling and groundfighting, with or without full or any contact, etc. etc. each of which has a different set of most suitable equipment.

It's only on this forum where each poster is required to choose a single exclusive sparring method and defend it against all naysayers until their head explodes.

funny we agree you should use gloves to pressure test, so why exactly are you arguing with me ?.

Im saying that when people say you cant use WC with gloves on they havent really tried it and are using the gloves as a cop out not to pressure test. well thats what I meant atleast.

Chadderz
02-23-2012, 06:28 AM
funny we agree you should use gloves to pressure test, so why exactly are you arguing with me ?.

Im saying that when people say you cant use WC with gloves on they havent really tried it and are using the gloves as a cop out not to pressure test. well thats what I meant atleast.

Aaah, you agree? You should maybe have posted a bit clearer :p

jesper
02-23-2012, 07:40 AM

I know english isnt my primary language, but I thought the bolded part was showed what I meant. will try and make it even clearer in the future :)

Yoshiyahu
02-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks for your post...I feel the same way...

Everyone has pretty much the same thoughts...

Techniques need to be modified and you have to adapt by the structure of the gloves. But yet and still the techniques are done the same...

Like in Karate.

There are branches that use open hand strikes and open hand defense...

But there are also branches that rarely open the hand an use closed fist....

Practicing the kata's closed handed and training the techniques from them closed handed and then going into sparring with the utilization of close handed techniques only will prepare you for boxing gloves...

Has any one done this with WC?

Wayfaring
02-23-2012, 09:26 AM

I prefer frozen fish at 10 paces. Any takers?

CFT
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
I prefer frozen fish at 10 paces. Any takers?Frozen fish is unrealistic. On da streetz where are you going to get refridgeration, unless you live in Alaska? Floppy fish all the way man. Or sun-dried if you are well prepared. Nothing like sun-dried sardines to show off your fish throwing skills. House of Flying Daggers? Pah!

anerlich
02-23-2012, 01:52 PM

Fair enough.

I prefer frozen fish at 10 paces. Any takers?

I always liked stabbing the guy with the stuffed marlin, as in some movie whose title escapes me.

Wayfaring
02-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Frozen fish is unrealistic. On da streetz where are you going to get refridgeration, unless you live in Alaska? Floppy fish all the way man. Or sun-dried if you are well prepared. Nothing like sun-dried sardines to show off your fish throwing skills. House of Flying Daggers? Pah!

Prepare to be slapped with a mackeral. :D

bennyvt
02-23-2012, 03:35 PM
I think I came back to the wrong forum. Too much sense here. I have never cut any one with the sides of the gloves or the velcro in vt sparing but left some bad burn marks grappling

Vajramusti
02-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Wing chun with appropriate practice can be adapted to different contexts...boxing gloves, mma gloves. The context can limit using every tool in the box but wing chun has plenty of tools IMO

joy chaudhuri

JPinAZ
02-23-2012, 04:51 PM
I view WC itself as the tool vs. thinking of it in terms of 'having tools'. Eh, maybe that's too deep for a thursday.... ;)

And I have experienced the velcro & stitching burn marks on my arms for sparring & bridge work with gloves on. I have a scar on the soft part/palm side of my forearm to show for it.

anerlich
02-23-2012, 06:00 PM
The only thing is that the edges of the velcro tabbing around the wrists might cause light lacerations to the face. No big deal really.

True, but I've had those just from wrestling in a gi. I've just had to learn to live with the occasional transient blemish on my handsome visage.

Yoshiyahu
02-23-2012, 06:00 PM
I think I came back to the wrong forum. Too much sense here. I have never cut any one with the sides of the gloves or the velcro in vt sparing but left some bad burn marks grappling

yep definitely the wrong forum indeed...everyone is agreeing...

we need someone to play devils advocate to keep the thread going...