PDA

View Full Version : looks like the bubble is near bursting in china!

doug maverick
02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
as the chinese rightfully so, demand wage increases and the cost of raw materials rises it looks like the bubble is about to burst...whats the next place manufactuers will exploit? some are actually coming back to the united states, because of new tax bonuses, but my guess is its gonna be africa...why...although there are large parts of the continent thats unstable, it is still the most natural resource rich place on the planet, which means cheaper raw materials, cheaper labor force, and cheaper shipping cost...they just gotta worry about pirates.....argh!!!

http://www.toptenwholesale.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/china-labor.jpgRising labor costs in China are pushing up the price of Chinese goods in the USA. News of Chinese wage increases at Foxconn have hit the news lately, as well as wage increases at other Chinese factories. For years, cheap labor made Chinese goods cheap worldwide, but that may be coming to an end.

Many Chinese factories have experienced labor shortages, which has increased labor costs. The Wall Street Journal reported higher prices of Chinese goods during last year’s Christmas buying season. After years of enjoying low-cost consumer goods from China, the US may soon have to find another source of cheap goods.

Workforce Transformation: With China’s rapid economic growth and smaller supply of young migrant workers in the cities, wages have increasingly been going up, making Chinese goods more expensive abroad. Just this past year, Chinese labor costs have gone up 15 to 30 percent.

China seems to be undergoing a workforce transformation, with young people preferring white collar jobs to blue collar jobs. Additionally, many young people are becoming creative entrepreneurs. That leaves a smaller pool of young, migrant workers willing to work in factories, driving the cost of labor up.

Additionally, the cost of raw materials is increasing in China due to its strong economy and increased demand. The end result is an increase in the cost of Chinese goods. Actually, economists have noted rising labor costs in China for years; however, it is now spiraling toward the tipping point.

Chinese factories are trying to stem the labor shortage by giving employees big bonuses for coming back to work after the Spring Festival, and others give cash for every new employee brought in. In some industries, 10 to 30 percent wage increases have become necessary.

Today, many Chinese cities are short hundreds of thousands of migrant workers. Last week, the Chinese government announced this year’s post-Spring Festival labor shortage was more acute than ever before and also wider in scope.

In the past, China’s migrant workers were happy not to go hungry; however, today they are becoming more selective. They want higher salaries, basic benefits, better working conditions and less physical labor. For many factories, these demands are hard to meet.

How much have prices increased so far? The US Department of Labor says prices of Chinese imports went up 3.9 percent in November 2011 over the same period in 2010. Some American companies buying goods from China have raised prices by 5 percent. For instance, running shoes made in China are going up $5 to $15 retail. A popular sleeping bag went up from $199 to $239, and so forth.

That’s bad news for US consumers because we import a lot of goods from China. According to the Wall Street Journal, US imports from China include:

• 80 percent of US shoe imports
• 60 percent of furniture imports
• 80 percent of luggage imports

Due to the shortages in workers and raw materials, the price of Chinese goods will continue to rise. According to the Boston Consulting Group, labor costs in China will reach a “tipping point” by 2015. At that time, Chinese labor will be so expensive that many industries could consider moving their manufacturing operations back to the U.S. and generate millions of new jobs.

Whether this will actually take place remains to be seen. Other Asian countries still have cheap labor, and some American companies already use factories in places like Bangladesh, Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia. Additionally, the Chinese government will likely implement subsidies to help its domestic manufacturers.

sanjuro_ronin
02-28-2012, 12:26 PM
A friend of mine came back from India, he said that many people there are NOT immigrating anymore, with some people even going back to India, as the wages are increasing enough to make the cost of living to salary ratio very tempting.

doug maverick
02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
india is becoming or probably already is the telecommunication epicenter of the world...i mean seriously you ever called customer service and not been forwarded to india?

sanjuro_ronin
02-28-2012, 01:00 PM
india is becoming or probably already is the telecommunication epicenter of the world...i mean seriously you ever called customer service and not been forwarded to india?

DO NOT GO THERE !!:mad:

doug maverick
02-28-2012, 01:03 PM
go where? its true...not being racist...its true.

sanjuro_ronin
02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
go where? its true...not being racist...its true.

LOL !
That is my way of expressing how ****ed off I get to have try to interpret Hindi-english techsupport !
:D

David Jamieson
02-28-2012, 04:20 PM
I think it's about all boats rising with the tide.

The idea of global and regional economic systems is to ensure that the entire planet has a ok>good>great economy while developing the most stable and strong areas first which in turn facilitates higher living standards everywhere as they develop.

The ramifications, consequences and sequences of events for all actions cause equal and opposite reactions. If you get enough of it happening everywhere, everyone benefits.

As more personal wealth is accumulated, more time for study is found and growth of the individual mind is nurtured. Futurism is not science fiction. It's accurate quite often when the right minds apply themselves to it. Like Arthur C.Clarke, Asimov, Sagan or Bradbury or many others.

/2¢

Syn7
02-28-2012, 04:38 PM
A friend of mine came back from India, he said that many people there are NOT immigrating anymore, with some people even going back to India, as the wages are increasing enough to make the cost of living to salary ratio very tempting.

India will not pass China in economics. In fact the PM of India said not long ago that he wants Mumbai to be run like Shanghai. The main difference between China and India is democracy. Democracy actually stifles economy because infrastructure takes much longer to put in to place. Now I'm not saying that autocratic governments are better. I still would rather live in Canada. The extra time we take to put infrastructure in place has so many social benefits that it makes that process far more desirable. But when it comes to putting together infrastructure that is time tested and more than proven it happens so much faster when it's through an autocratic process. That in turn facilitates faster economic growth. They sacrifice equality for economy. In the west we aren't so willing to do that. Both China and India are in the baby stages of a massive social awakening being facilitated by technology which allows this process to move at exponential speeds but India has a democracy and allows it's citizens to have far more say in their governance than its Chinese counterpart. This creates far more cultural and economic equality, but it is a much slower process. So where India is absolutely EXPLODING socially, China is doing the same economically. China has a lot of land, resources and a massive more than affordable and mos def exploitable work force. This is security no matter how it's handled. China will be OK and China will always be ahead of India in economic growth (mid and long term). Anomalous growth spurts don't count, we're talking averages here. Stats don't lie. Go to google and make a graph. You can see what I'm talking about in the numbers.

Syn7
02-28-2012, 05:14 PM
As more personal wealth is accumulated, more time for study is found and growth of the individual mind is nurtured. Futurism is not science fiction. It's accurate quite often when the right minds apply themselves to it. Like Arthur C.Clarke, Asimov, Sagan or Bradbury or many others.

/2¢

Talking about the future being now, it's freakin amazing what we can do these days. I just watched a 3D printer print a real human kidney. Cazy. 3D printers will be available for home use like an oven size in the next decade. You will add raw materials and get items you design or download. This is insane for engineers who have to machine 1 of a kind parts. Sometimes what takes weeks by hand will be done in hours by printer. Also you can do things that cannot be done otherwise through normal fab methods. Like cavities or intricate innards in closed loop designs. You eliminate the multi part issue and you eliminate seams and seals in alot of places. If you have a machine at home that breaks down you find the broken part, go online to download the specs, then you go and print up a replacement part and fix it yourself. Awesome for people who are mechanically inclined. I build **** all the time and finding parts is the hardest part for me. To draft em up and print em as needed is just insane.

CERN has the LHC up and running(kinda) and we will start seeing more and more data at an exponential rate coming in from the sciences.

I heard something like 70% of new economic growth in the states are science related start-ups. Don't quote me on that but it wouldn't surprise me. Implants are crazy, para-plegics are walking, we can control an animal like a RC car(I wonder if it's consciousness is trapped watching what the controller makes it's body do? that's an ethics convo right there).

Non evasive Ultrasound surgery. No cutting anywhere except where it's needed. You can operate inside without having to create a cavity to work through. With mapping and imaging improvements this isn't even as hard as it sounds. Robotic surgery is a reality. Talk about a steady hand, right.

Last year we put a machine on the space station called Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer. This thing is capable of doing amazing things when working properly(there were issues).

You know those things we type in as security codes, the weird words with wiggly lines through em? when you fill those out you are helping to convert old texts into data. When you type two words, one is a confirmation word, the other is a word the comp can't read off the image scan. if ten people get the same answer then it's assumed that's what the word is and the program adds it to the database. My reason for mentioning that is to show how we are networking at such an exponential rate that we can do amazing things when we decide to.

I find it amazing how far ahead science is from the public consciousness. Something like 85% of people say they trust scientists, yet look how long it takes to make people believe things they don't want to believe. Like global warming or tobacco use. People fought those so hard despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Because we are propelling upwards at unprecedented and exponential rate we are creating a massive gap between what scientists know and what everyone else knows. That gap has always been there, but it is so wide now. This isn't because we aren't capable or coz we don't care. it's special interests that mess it up and skew information. Politics, religion, business and pretty much anyone else who has a vested interest in falsifying data or misinforming and dis informing is responsible for this gap. Anyone who stands in the face of overwhelming evidence and stands firm on false ideas is hurting us BAD. Politicians who lie about environment for money, business that buys policy, spiritual leaders who deny the truth in order to validate ideas that are deeply believed. These kinds of people are doing so much harm. It's my hope that the information age will destroy that rather than enhance it. We are starting to see that war for internet control in bills like SOPA and PIPA. Two very destructive ideas. We are moving very fast and as voters we need to keep up otherwise we will keep believing the lies we are spoon fed by our so called leaders of government, business and religion.

sanjuro_ronin
02-29-2012, 06:49 AM
I find it amazing how far ahead science is from the public consciousness. Something like 85% of people say they trust scientists, yet look how long it takes to make people believe things they don't want to believe. Like global warming or tobacco use. People fought those so hard despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Because we are propelling upwards at unprecedented and exponential rate we are creating a massive gap between what scientists know and what everyone else knows. That gap has always been there, but it is so wide now. This isn't because we aren't capable or coz we don't care. it's special interests that mess it up and skew information. Politics, religion, business and pretty much anyone else who has a vested interest in falsifying data or misinforming and dis informing is responsible for this gap. Anyone who stands in the face of overwhelming evidence and stands firm on false ideas is hurting us BAD. Politicians who lie about environment for money, business that buys policy, spiritual leaders who deny the truth in order to validate ideas that are deeply believed. These kinds of people are doing so much harm. It's my hope that the information age will destroy that rather than enhance it. We are starting to see that war for internet control in bills like SOPA and PIPA. Two very destructive ideas. We are moving very fast and as voters we need to keep up otherwise we will keep believing the lies we are spoon fed by our so called leaders of government, business and religion.

I think that people are slowly understanding that not all science is created equal and that not all scientists can be "trusted" all the time.
Climate change is a perfect example of that, no matter what side you are on.

Syn7
02-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Yeah. I can understand how some may want to debate the cause of warming. But it annoys me when those come out and deny warming all together. The data is quite clear. And we're at the ass end of an ice age so of course it's warming up. I think the science is quite clear as far as greenhouse gasses are concerned as well.

What I do look at the data. That's how I decide. I hear a theory or an idea and I hear that conclusion out and then I ask to see the work.

GoogleCode is great for this. I can create charts for anything. I can chart data and use those charts to identify missing data or anomalous data. The more data you input the clearer the picture. It really isn''t that hard to decide who to believe and who not to believe when one keeps an open mind and stays true to finding truth rather than validating previous beliefs. When somebody does try to validate beliefs based in ZERO reason that is always a massive red flag for me. It's a sliding scale and some are far more subtle, but if you look close enough it becomes quite apparent as to who is telling the truth and who isn't.

sanjuro_ronin
03-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Yeah. I can understand how some may want to debate the cause of warming. But it annoys me when those come out and deny warming all together. The data is quite clear. And we're at the ass end of an ice age so of course it's warming up. I think the science is quite clear as far as greenhouse gasses are concerned as well.

What I do look at the data. That's how I decide. I hear a theory or an idea and I hear that conclusion out and then I ask to see the work.

GoogleCode is great for this. I can create charts for anything. I can chart data and use those charts to identify missing data or anomalous data. The more data you input the clearer the picture. It really isn''t that hard to decide who to believe and who not to believe when one keeps an open mind and stays true to finding truth rather than validating previous beliefs. When somebody does try to validate beliefs based in ZERO reason that is always a massive red flag for me. It's a sliding scale and some are far more subtle, but if you look close enough it becomes quite apparent as to who is telling the truth and who isn't.

Climate change, not "global warming" :D

The main issue is that we do not, scientifically speaking, have enough data to make the conclusion that MAN is the prime cause of climate change.
A cause, yes, for sure but prime? unclear because we would need far more data then we have and we don't have it.
I mean data from the last few 1000 years, not couple of hundred.

That said, yes man has the responsibility to take care of this planet and do a far better job than we are doing right now !

Man is in a unique position that He can change the course of the Earth and He can do that for the better or worse.
We can feed the hungry and bring water to the thristy and fix the mess that we have caused/helped cause quite easily.
All we have to do is DO IT.

Syn7
03-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Climate change, not "global warming" :D

The main issue is that we do not, scientifically speaking, have enough data to make the conclusion that MAN is the prime cause of climate change.
A cause, yes, for sure but prime? unclear because we would need far more data then we have and we don't have it.
I mean data from the last few 1000 years, not couple of hundred.

That said, yes man has the responsibility to take care of this planet and do a far better job than we are doing right now !

Man is in a unique position that He can change the course of the Earth and He can do that for the better or worse.
We can feed the hungry and bring water to the thristy and fix the mess that we have caused/helped cause quite easily.
All we have to do is DO IT.

Word. Totally agree. Unfortunately that has never been the argument. I would love it if we were far enough along to have a consensus on what you just said. As long as other agendas are put out by doing what it right, people will always argue to do wrong and dress it up as acceptable.

The lack of transparency in business and government is disgusting and that is the problem. I agree with wikileaks because we are being lied to. If I could believe we we're being treated fairly I wouldn't worry about the secrets. But to find out that there are secrets and that when they do come to light it's usually the taxpayer getting fukced in the ass and to me that says that we need to uncover more secrets. Enough is enough, right?

It's so sad that we're still stuck with people who will deny even climate change to their last breath. Those people are poison. Like the crowd that got exited when Santorum said Obama was a snob for wanting everyone to have the choice of higher education. The crowd loved it. They don't even know what their agreeing with. They just agree. Those kinds of people gotta go man.