PDA

View Full Version : Leg Raises

WuMan
08-05-2001, 05:10 AM
Okay, um... how come when I do leg raises, after the first, say 3 or 4 either my lower back or my neck area and the area behind my ears start to pull. The feeling is like lots of tension there and something about to snap, I always stop after this cause, well, first, it kinda hurts ^_^ and I dono what the problem is.
so my question is is this normal or am I doing it wrong?

Lost_Disciple
08-05-2001, 06:14 AM
I could be wrong here, and if so I expect someone else to correct me; but it sounds like you're arching your back when your legs hit the bottom part of the movement. The reason I say this, is because once your back arches, it's no longer your abs being involved with the movement, but your back instead. Arching your back is a major no-no with any type of ab work. Maybe try not to go down so far or as quickly. Try to keep your back a bit rounded so the tension's kept on your abs, and possibly your hip&leg flexors

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

WuMan
08-05-2001, 09:23 AM
Oic, thanks, I'll try it tonite.

David
08-05-2001, 12:17 PM
When doing leg raises laying down on the floor, I raise my head off the floor for the entire duration and also ensure the small of the back on the floor. Sometimes I put my palms flat on the floor under my ass, just by the tailbone to help the posture. It gives you a bit of extra leverage and comfort.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

Lost_Disciple
08-05-2001, 12:19 PM
David-
Thanks, forgot to mention that. :)

popsider
08-05-2001, 02:06 PM
I have heard some sports coaches say leg raises are risky for the back and are not the best way to train the abdominals. I'm not an expert and I do them myself at our club, but I'd welcome any other comment on this.

prana
08-06-2001, 07:04 AM
back in uni, they taught that leg raisers were contra-indicated. It specifically worx the wrong muscles, amongst others.

Another way of training abs ?

Medicine Buddha
om namo bhagawate hekandzyai - guru bendurya prabha andzaya - tatagataya - arhate - samyaksam buddhaya - tayata om bhekandzyai bhekandzyai - maha bhekandzyai bhekandzyai -randza samungate soha

Lost_Disciple
08-07-2001, 09:12 AM
prana
Wrong muscles or no, they do help you to kick. Maybe he just wants some functional strength and not just trying to look good..

Brian_CA
08-07-2001, 06:08 PM
1. Lie on your back, legs straight, feet together.

2. Place your hands underneath your buttocks, palm facing down. Try to keep your arms straight.

3. Lift your legs up to a 90 degree angle to start. Then lower them 4 inches toward the ground.

4. Lift your head and shoulders.

5. Breathe through nose short breathes and hold for 10-30 seconds.

When you do this posture a couple of hints.

First, keep your legs at an angle of at least 60 degrees. When you keep the legs to low, it will put strain on the lower back.

Second, if holding the posture still hurts your back, lower one leg and place it on the ground. Leaving the other leg at least at on 60 degree angle.

Third start slowly. Begin doing them at a 90 degree angle for 2 weeks. The begin to lower them over time. The great the angle the easier the posture.

Good luck and let us know how this works for you if you use this technique.

Brian
San Francisco, CA