PDA

View Full Version : Southern Mantis demo

sanjuro_ronin
03-02-2012, 11:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GmFMo0Av8I

GM Henry Poo Yee.

IMO, a very fluid and dynamic expression of his Jook Lum Mantis.

TenTigers
03-02-2012, 01:51 PM
never heard of the 108 Chan fist...anyone?

sanjuro_ronin
03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
never heard of the 108 Chan fist...anyone?

Nope, but my SPM isn't yours and neither of our is his, so...
Still, I like the fluidity and the jing in that form, although that steps were a bit "flowery" at times.

According to Hagood, it is the master form: Yop bot ling bot
http://www.bambootemple.com/new-page-18.htm

TenTigers
03-05-2012, 09:16 AM
the form Sifu Yee demonstrated is a different form, from my understanding, from Lam Sang's yut ling bot. But, many forms use the 108, and Poo Yee trained from several teachers, and has a rich background in Martial Arts.

sanjuro_ronin
03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
the form Sifu Yee demonstrated is a different form, from my understanding, from Lam Sang's yut ling bot. But, many forms use the 108, and Poo Yee trained from several teachers, and has a rich background in Martial Arts.

Never seen it before so I can't comment on it.
I do however like the way it was performed.
How correct or what version I leave for others to decide.

TenTigers
03-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Never seen it before so I can't comment on it.
I do however like the way it was performed.
How correct or what version I leave for others to decide.
Sifu Yee's movement and energy are inspiring to watch. He can be soft or hard, springy and explosive. When I met him, he was a kind and generous teacher, always willing to share.

sanjuro_ronin
03-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Sifu Yee's movement and energy are inspiring to watch. He can be soft or hard, springy and explosive. When I met him, he was a kind and generous teacher, always willing to share.

I have heard good things too, I left politics to politicians.

lance
03-25-2012, 11:03 PM

TenTigers , what about Gin Foon Mark ? Did he have a rich history like Henry Poo
Yee ?

jo
03-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Gin Foon Mark did not play volleyball. :D

-jo

Frost
03-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Gin Foon Mark did not play volleyball. :D

-jo

lol as soon as i saw lances post i just knew something would be said :) talk about opening a can of worms .....:eek:

Vajramusti
03-26-2012, 09:26 AM
I have heard good things too, I left politics to politicians.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I too liked his fluidity.

Gin Foon Mak is/was superb-he is getting up in years,

joy chaudhuri

jo
03-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Do you like the way he crosses his arms, keeps his elbows out and breaks several other tenets of Lam's hand? :rolleyes:

-jo

TenTigers
03-26-2012, 04:10 PM
TenTigers , what about Gin Foon Mark ? Did he have a rich history like Henry Poo
Yee ?
Gin Foon Mark's skill is legendary.

Vajramusti
03-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Do you like the way he crosses his arms, keeps his elbows out and breaks several other tenets of Lam's hand? :rolleyes:

-jo
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Poo Yee is ok but I like Gin Foon Mak much better,
Some may not have seen the playfull interaction Between Mak sifu and the gtreat late Lam Sang. The Taiwan reunion between Mak and his sifu is in 8 parts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djCgEpIk7qI&feature=autoplay&list=PLDC8D8B1A4CE452D3&lf=results_main&playnext=8

joy chaudhuri

Frost
03-26-2012, 11:39 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Poo Yee is ok but I like Gin Foon Mak much better,
Some may not have seen the playfull interaction Between Mak sifu and the gtreat late Lam Sang. The Taiwan reunion between Mak and his sifu is in 8 parts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djCgEpIk7qI&feature=autoplay&list=PLDC8D8B1A4CE452D3&lf=results_main&playnext=8

joy chaudhuri

thanks for posting this Joy

TenTigers
03-27-2012, 08:44 AM
I watch this often. Each time I see something else, something subtle, something "hidden," that I did not notice before. Even though they "play," they are not really playing.

sanjuro_ronin
04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
I watch this often. Each time I see something else, something subtle, something "hidden," that I did not notice before. Even though they "play," they are not really playing.

Their footwork and angles speak volumes.

Vajramusti
04-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Their footwork and angles speak volumes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
For sure.
A good friend now apparently deceased and a disciple of Mak sifu once showed me a video of Mak sifu shooting his
fingers which looked extremely well developed and powerful and penetrating. Mak sifu used pretty strong jows
for different purposes.

joy chaudhuri

sanjuro_ronin
04-05-2012, 05:33 AM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
For sure.
A good friend now apparently deceased and a disciple of Mak sifu once showed me a video of Mak sifu shooting his
fingers which looked extremely well developed and powerful and penetrating. Mak sifu used pretty strong jows
for different purposes.

joy chaudhuri

Do you man MARK Sifu? as in Gin Foon Mark?
His IP is legendary.

As for comparing GM Mark to GM Yee, why on earth would one want to?
One man's SPM is NOT another man's.

brothernumber9
04-19-2012, 10:22 AM
The first time I saw Sifu Yee was at Sifu Lee Koon Hung's grand opening in the early 90's (92 or 93 I think). I was only at my Sifu's school for a few years at that time and we went as a group down to FL to support and celebrate. When I saw Sifu Yee''s Jook Lum, I thought "this looks rediculous" becauxe I couldn't recognize punches and kicks, it looked nothing like i was familiar with. I really knew nothing. (and still know next to nothing).

Come to find out after my Sifu met him and talked to him throughout the day, and at the picnic later, Sifu Yee started learning Hung Fut when he was a boy before learning and sticking with Southern Mantis. My sifu, when he was a boy, learned Southern Mantis, before learning and sticking with Hung Fut. They became freinds. Since then I have visited Sifu Yee's school in TX once with my Sifu after Sifu Yee's 25year anniversary celebration and have met a few of his instructors several times. I have mad respect for them. They are a put up or shut up bunch.
At some point I'd lke to get back to competing and hopefully meet one of those guys again at a tourney. It would be fun.

sanjuro_ronin
04-19-2012, 10:41 AM
I think that MAYBE if you come into SPM with NO prior MA experience that your SPM will be pure in the sense that it will be ONLY what you have learned in SPM.
I don't see how anyone can be part of only one thing and not the sum of all their experience.
Coming from a Hung Kuen background ( not to mention karate and Judo), there was NO WAY my SPM would be "pure" in any, shape or form.
I see that being the case with anyone that brings something with them OR is exposed to other MA and then incorporates things from them that work.
It sill not be "pure" (Whatever the heck that means) SPM.
And guess what?
NO SPM is pure.