PDA

View Full Version : how do u do crunches?

chen zhen
08-03-2001, 07:58 PM
please gimme an explanation.

SevenStar
08-03-2001, 08:43 PM
there are several different variations of crunches. what exactly are looking for?

-SevenStar©
Step right up and get it -- whoever wants [defeat]
Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

chen zhen
08-04-2001, 07:35 PM
just a basic one, it's because i have heard
the word crunches so many times and i still
dont know how to do them.
i know it's an ab exercise.

dhyana
08-05-2001, 03:46 PM
Lie on the ground on your back with your arms crossed on your chest. Lift your shoulders off the ground and hold it up for 1-2 seconds. That's one crunch.

Water Dragon
08-05-2001, 10:05 PM
I do em with a dumbbell across my chest

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Godzilla
08-07-2001, 04:39 PM
i do a lot of crunches. i am making a serious attempt to get a defined six pack. After about 3 months, i am beginning to see someting (very proud).

I believe mixing up your situp routine will help. this is what i do:

elbows on my ears, legs bent with feet off the ground, alternate touching elbows to opposite knee

same as above, but straighten out one leg at a time. this really tenses the stomach and i think provides the best results - for me.

regular situps

I do 60 reps of each kind three days a week. I started by only doing 20. I think i can work up to 80 or 100 within the next month or so.

i do this in the morning prior to breakfast and work up a sweat. also watch your diet.

Godzilla

ExitusDeorum
08-08-2001, 12:24 AM
60? Ouch! :) I always find crunches very difficult to execute - it's not as if I'm unhealthy; I am quite ripped, except for my stomach! :( And that's hasn't got any major 'excess!'
Is there a special technique to crunches? Whenever I do them, I end up severely out of breath? Is this normal - do I just battle through this?
If you do - you have my respect man! :) I'll try to follow your lead!

"Cry shamefully and let loose the turnips of war!"

dhyana
08-08-2001, 03:22 AM
I also find that crunches are disproportionately hard to do compared to any other exercise I've ever done in my life.

For example, when you're doing a bench press... that last rep is REALLY hard, but you *want* to push it out and get it up even though it hurts. It is a "good" pain.

With crunches or situps, I find that I just do not want to continue being it is so painstakingly bad.

Does anyone have any advice on getting past this, or perhaps alternate exercises to work the abs / stomach? I also do not have a fat stomach at all, but it completely lacks any definition whatsoever.

Joe_

Water Dragon
08-08-2001, 04:19 AM
WEIGHTS, WEIGHTS, WEIGHTS

Hold a dumbbell over your neck and crunch. Abs are just another muscle. I go for 1 set of 25 reps once a week. You shouldn't have to go more than twice a week. Start with 25 lbs and start moving up in weight.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

ged
08-08-2001, 08:42 AM
i hate that too... when its not even burning that bad, but i CANT do any more crunches. maybe its my fitness, maybe im just weak. one thing ive found that helps - stop. not for a minute, just for 10 seconds, then get right back into it. that usually brings the burn on for me.

IronFist
08-08-2001, 09:41 AM
Weighted crunches can make your abs bigger. Be careful.

Who wants abs that stick out like bulging bicpes? "Not I," said the frog.

Iron

ExitusDeorum
08-08-2001, 08:37 PM
'Big' abs? :eek: I'll just stick to gaining definition...

"Cry shamefully and let loose the turnips of war!"

chen zhen
08-09-2001, 08:26 PM
is it just the chest or the whole back that you
raise up from the ground(cus then it sounds like
sit ups to me)

chen zhen
08-09-2001, 08:33 PM
do you only have to do a hard ab routine once a week? doesnt you miss some of the gains from the training when there goes so long time between
the days that you do the routine :confused:

oh, and hom much is 25 lbs in kg?
i dont even know what lbs stands for :rolleyes:

Water Dragon
08-09-2001, 08:45 PM
Hell, I have no idea on how to calculate lbs (pounds) to kg's any more.

That's my only ab weight training. I also do a Bagua set for my abs and reverse sit ups from BJJ twice a week.

dhyana
08-09-2001, 09:59 PM
25 pounds is about 11.36 kg.

You don't have to lift up your entire back for a crunch ... just lift your shoulders off the ground and hold it.

WuMan
08-10-2001, 01:02 AM
If I am not wrong, "definition" would mean that the abs are visible but not huge like those buody building guys rite?

ged
08-15-2001, 01:17 PM
yep