PDA

View Full Version : What's your injury?

Brian_CA
07-25-2001, 02:17 AM
Hi Guys and Gals!

I am currently writing a thesis on martial arts related injuries. I was wondering if you all could help me out a bit by talking about your current (or chronic) injuries.

What did you do to hurt yourself? How have they affected your training? What has your rehab been like? What did you do to heal the injuries? What did you learn from being hurt?

Looking forward to replies!

Thanks in advance.

Brian
San Francisco,CA

passingthru
07-25-2001, 06:04 AM
I started out in martial arts late in life with one partially disabled knee and another physical problem which had all but crippled me. With gradual increases in training time and intensity, and modest aims, I made wonderful progress. I felt, and still do, that Kung Fu opens my potential.

My training will be changed by a recent knee injury because I won't be able to participate to the same extent. Kicking is pretty much out, not that it figured heavily in my work. Frankly, this injury has pretty much taken the fun out of my life.

I injured the good knee and will be having surgery for ACL tear. MCL was mildly strained too. I suffered bone bruises. The rehab will consist of 3 months of physical therapy 3 times a week, with my Kung Fu moves incorporated into that therapy. The doc has something in mind. He wants me to do Kung Fu in a wading pool. He says if a fall in there, "that's what's known as swimming." I don't know what I am going to do after formal rehab. I think it will take some months to get back to anything resembling normal in terms of just walking around. My first priority will be to get into a moderate horse stance for my standing work, and to be able to assume other standard positions and moves, including cross stepping and turning.

The injury happened during an ill advised, advanced kick, which I was not in condition to do, and which I protested.

What did I learn? I learned to trust my instincts, to question when I felt something had gone sour. I learned that having a good nature offers no protection. If you live stupid, you're going to get hurt, even if your heart is in the right place.

Always stand up for yourself, for what is right for you, for what is right and honest in your feelings and being. If a kick is no good for you and you know it and you know the teacher knows it, don't just question it, Refuse! If you sense something is wrong, say so. Talk in circles if you have to, but don't let it go.

And, to go further back in my martial arts life, beyond the current hurt (but to something that is remotely connected to it), to an injury of spirit and position. Never let someone accuse you of something you didn't do, and get away with it, while assuming that another person will make things right, because maybe he can't and your backing down just reinforced that helplessness... . Go to the proper authorities (not to a couple of friends who don't know squat) and state your case. I was told last year by a professional that I probably would have won. In doing what was right for me, I would have done what was right for everyone.

From this I've learned that I am naive and trusting to a fault. I can't understand what makes a person hold themselves or an ideal or a social structure above other people to the point that they will harbor malicious ill will, speak false words, or strike someone who gets in their way as one would kick down a door.

I've learned that timing is almost everything.

I have learned that an outsider is not safe in certain circles, but every wolf knows that.

I have learned that with all the work I've done over these years, I'm still no closer to resolving the issues which brought me to where I am today. I know more now and use it, am more compassionate, still trusting in my own goodness of heart. Yet, in the ways of the world, I am someone who needs helpers of influence. To have the courage to go it alone and to have the mindset to deal with unfamiliar ground (in terms of venue or people) are two different things.

Information and methods which are used according to aptitude and personal inclination too often pass for wisdom.

passingthru

Kempo Guy
07-25-2001, 06:27 PM
I have had many injuries during my tenure with martial arts. My latest have been shoulder injuries. Mainly rotator cuff injury and tendonitis in my shoulder(s). My doctor tells me it's a "impact" injury. I was also told by my physical therapist that this type of a injury is fairly common with martial artist.

I have also dislocated my wrists and shoulders from doing jujutsu, and had a lower back injury sustained during a martial arts demo, that took me over a year to get over...

Don't know if any of this information helps...

KG

Ford Prefect
07-25-2001, 07:32 PM
The only chronic one I get is a hyperextended left elbow. I got caught with an armbar at a tournament that was applied faster than I could tap and I heard a series of pops. The next day I literally couldn't use it, and it took a while to start conditioning/training again. It is still easily hyperextended, so it comes back to a lesser extent every month or so. That was only a year ago though.

dumog93
07-27-2001, 09:12 PM
Ford,first off i have to say the guy that hit you with a bar too fast to tap is low class.In no instance should competition be more important than our fellow man's well being.People need to get a clue.Now i'm not a softie,and i will keep cranking a neck until you tap.Both parties have to have some repsonsibility for their own safety and each other's to some extent.We aren't here to be knocking our bro's out of MA or competitions for that matter.Hope it heals up for you.I can honestly say the only serious injury i have had in MA was probably due to previous injuries to my knee in high school wrestling.Then again,if you have an over zealous opponent hit a knee bar,it's quick to get hurt before you can tap.I find that most of the injuries happen this way..overzealous people putting on locks too quickly,or people too dumb to tap.I try not to be either one,but i realize sometimes it's a fine line.

-Devildog

Ford Prefect
07-28-2001, 06:29 PM
I hear that. Every time you step on the mat, you are risking something like that; especially so in competitions. Ever see somebody be over-zealous with a heel hook? It is the scariest thing I've ever seen before.

Losttrak
07-28-2001, 07:04 PM
Which do you wanna talk about? Dislocated arm. Broken nose. Ruptured bladder. Internal bleeding. Snapped carpals.

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

prana
07-29-2001, 03:23 AM
- martial arts for 14 years, no injuries. Loads of good well earned bruises.

- Climbing for 5 years. Broke heal bone. Cracked Hip bones on both sides. Rotator cuff injuries. Torn tendons on both hands, on index, mid and ring fingers. Torn muscles on forearms. Tennis elbows. Carpal Tunnel syndrome. Chronic back pains.

;)

feldor
07-29-2001, 07:23 PM
I am 35 years old and have been in martial arts for 17 years. 8 in Temple Tai Chi and the rest in Tang Soo Do and Bak Fu Pai. I also instruct. About 1/12 years ago I was doing a running double jump side kick on the left side, and I came down on the right leg with my foot facing 90 deg. right of the direction I was traveling (hope this is not too confusing).

My right leg gave way and dislocated bending outward 90 deg. It tore the ACL and MCL completely, also tearing some of the inner Miniscus. I was put back with a cadavour ACL and the MCL was reattached with a staple. About 1 inch of Miniscus was removed in the inner/rear area. I had a VERY good orthapedic doctor/surgeon thankfully.

After a LOT of hard work and self-control, I am back to full strength, including jump kicks, with the exception of not being able to squat down fully onto my right leg (meaning I can't fully fold the leg onto itself while squating fully), this is due to removed Miniscus. I fell great with very little trouble.

Hope the helps, email me if you want more specifics.

Sincerely,
Charles Cripple :D

RFM
07-29-2001, 11:03 PM
Most of my injuries have been the result of other physical training related to my job (US Army) or weight lifting.

But the one thing I have injured in recent years was in a full contact kick-boxing bout where I went in completely unready, but went out of personal obligation and there after a 30 second TKO, where I barely lifted a finger in my defense, I hurt my pride.

It took nearly six months to heal. A tissue would be nice right about now...

Thanks for letting me share... :(

Peace,
Bob

From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

dunbarj01
08-05-2001, 05:34 AM
I have a type of sciatica or one of the large muscles in my left leg has been in spasm for the past 3 years. I got this from sitting in my stance for too long (and ignoring the pain). I see a chiropractor for relief but I've pretty much learned to live with it.

Cheers,

joedoe
08-05-2001, 07:49 AM
Nasty rib injury after screwing up a landing on a jumping kick. Took years for it to get better.

Otherwise mostly I've had bruised egos and injured pride.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Brian_CA
08-07-2001, 06:17 PM
Hey Gang,

Thanks for the input. It has been really helpful in my research. Of all the these injuries, has anyone added a systematic stretching routine to their rehab? Anyone do pilates or yoga? What exercises did your physical therapist have you do? What causes your chronic injuries to begin to irritate you?

Brian
San Francisco, CA

Ish
08-08-2001, 04:56 PM
I get sore knuckles when i punch my wall bag for too long