07-18-2001, 01:22 AM
hi

i have learned 4 attack patterns and their 4 defense patterns
of Shaolin Kung Fu:

Black Tiger Steals Heart <> Single Tiger emerges from cave
Poisonous Snake shoots venom <> Beauty looks at mirror
Precioius Duck swims through Lotus <> False leg hand sweep
Golden Star at corner <> Immortal emerges from cave

ive read and have been told to practice them vs an imaginary opponent at first, instead of on my little brother.. ive tried this but it just doesnt seem right. im not sure if im practicing correctly .. i picture someone constantly punching with black tiger and sometimes throwing in a precious duck but is this right? should i be imagining just one form at a time? or all of them and just surprising myself? im not sure it just feels a little wierd

if you know a sufficient way to practice and improve on these forms using them against an imaginary opponent, please dont hesistate to help

thanks

-jeoffrey
jplam@wcnet.net

namkuen
07-18-2001, 08:00 AM
Jeoffery, Those sound like Hung Gar techniques (primarily from fu hok seung ying kuen). Is that what you're learning?

I would suggest that you learn the general concept of the application and then learn the power or chi flow for each technique. Then later you'll learn to visualize the specific attack and defense sequences and principles.

I hope this helps!

Peace!!!

DWR

One who conquers others is strong, but one who conquers himself is mighty! Lao Tzu

Robinf
07-18-2001, 02:45 PM
It's also more helpful to imagine someone your size that you're fighting, rather than fighting someone smaller than you (like a little brother).

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Shaolindynasty
07-18-2001, 07:12 PM
I think he is trying to learn Kungfu from a book Wong Kiew Kit wrote. Those sound like terms from his book and that would explain his lack of guidance. Jeoffery can you find a qualified teacher? If you did you Kungfu would be great! :D

Witness the Dynasty!!!
New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

nospam
07-19-2001, 01:51 AM
When I practise with imagery, it is not so much actually imagining a 'person' throwing attacks that I interact with; rather, it is the essence or sensory memory of when I havetrained with a person. This way I recall the feel or sense (enhanced through imagery) of when I had trained with a partner. I can feel the slip and resistance of her arms or how I might have been stopped short in my execution, which helps me key in on achieving maximal extension..etc.

I draw on my experience of actual two-person training (interaction) when I shadowbox or train my patterns. Rarely is the case that I simply throw a technique into the air without such awareness.

nospam.

jeoffrey04
07-19-2001, 02:58 AM
i dont think u know who you are talking to ..
the nearest kung fu schools are an hour away from me and before a few months ago (when i got my car), the only kung fu i could look into were in books and on the internet, so if you would kindly not insult me until u know the full details - thanks

-im enrolling in a school this weekend after shopping around a bit
-thanks for the helpful replies people

Lost_Disciple
07-19-2001, 06:01 AM
Where's Bay City?
I live in Lubbock and it can't be that remote.
Better to train yourself to sit in a horse stance for a long time and maybe find a boxing coach so you can learn how to punch and protect yourself in the meantime until you find a qualified sifu.

I'm not trying to rag on you too much though, it's great you're ambitious and willing to practise on your own, I think a lot of us could benefit from your attitude. I'm just saying, for your own health, safety, and so you don't have to un-learn too much later; stick to simple stuff to get you in shape

phoenix-eye
07-20-2001, 02:56 AM
I dont think ShaolinDynasty was insulting you - its good that you are even interested.

Books and videos are the next best thing to an instructor and you should be proud that you are at least making an effort.

By the way - you'll see that I spotted the Wong Kiew Kit thing in one of the other forum replies (Shaolin Kung Fu i think). Don't be disheartened - if you can learn as much as possible from books before you start with an Instructor then you will be at least a little step on the way.

Best of luck with your training mate.

"Ow! That chafes!!!"

jeoffrey04
07-20-2001, 05:07 AM
hi again
thanks for the further replies

im not sure how far i am from lubbock, but i can relate to houston (1 hour away from sugarland)

all we have here is a Honta Ryu Karate school and a school that teaches a form of Tae Kwon Do.

Id much rather learn from a book for now and drive the 1 hour trip to houston to learn

-jeoffrey

Lost_Disciple
07-20-2001, 05:19 AM
Yah, but check it out, you've got some other options.

Wah Lum in Clute, it's about 40 miles east of Bay City, a drive, but not that bad. I used to commute san antonio to austin.
Clute, TX: Sifu Rob Roy –
834 Nursery St., Clute, TX 77531
1-409-297-4563

I'm sure there's probly something in Freeport or Webster.

Sugarland is not that far out from Houston and there's tons of stuff in Houston.

Maybe u guys gotta drive 30 minutes to an hour, but if you take a private a couple times a week and practise at home, it won't be that bad. Not trying to get on your case though. There just needs to be great sifus on every corner. :

jeoffrey04
07-21-2001, 06:11 PM
see the thing is, until now i had no opportunity to even check out those places because i had nobody to take me .. my parents wouldnt for god knows why

but soon im going to begin

has anybody had any experience in any houston, freeport, or surrounding area martial arts schools?

-jeoffrey
jplam@wcnet.net

Shaolindynasty
07-21-2001, 06:47 PM
Sorry I forgot I was posting on this thread. Jeoffry I was not insulting you I just meant that if you have no previous experience in Kungfu it would be impossible to learn from a book. Sorry you don't have any schools nearby but you are better off practiceing bascs like stretching and the horse stance ya know exrcises, at least till you find a good teacher. It's harder and longer to correct bad habits than it is to wait it out.

Witness the Dynasty!!!
New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

BIU JI
07-22-2001, 02:06 AM
You need to visualise an opponent or opponents to help with the mindset with kung fu. Its useless to be doing forms thinking about what you need to get at the shops. If you cant train with the mindset then you're not going to be able to use the forms when needed.
Even try forms slowly as well as fighting pace and focus on application . If you're thinking correctly then your chi will flow to the spot needed.
There are good corrospondence teachers available , just need to know where to ask.

Peace,,,,

jeoffrey04
07-22-2001, 03:45 AM
biu ji: thanks for your reply

shaolindynasty: my bad = i think i was ****ed at that time for the lack of kung fu instructors in my city

-jeoffrey