PDA

View Full Version : WC Longpole Turner

mun hung
03-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Does anyone know a good woodturner in the NYC area to make custom WC poles. The shop has to be able to turn something 10' long. Appreciate any help with this.

Peter

Vajramusti
03-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Does anyone know a good woodturner in the NYC area to make custom WC poles. The shop has to be able to turn something 10' long. Appreciate any help with this.

Peter
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't but hi Peter.

joy

mun hung
03-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Hello, Joy. Been many moons. Hope all is well.

mun hung
03-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Let me rephrase. Does anyone know where I can get a pole made in Ipe at 1 1/2" tapered to 1" X 10'?

Phil Redmond
03-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Peter I'm going to start looking, but if you find one first please let me know.
PR

mun hung
03-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Sounds good, Phil. I found someone out in Nassau county, but they were pretty expensive. How many are you looking to get? What kind of wood? What dimensions? You can pm me.

Peter

k gledhill
03-16-2012, 04:06 PM
I found some places but the cost is prohibitive , its as much as everything vt for a quality pole !! no savings.

Bok lei Po on Mott st has just got some really raw cheap poles in from China, $55-60 ? They are young trees with the bark off and branches sanded down, you can still see the lumps. Some of the poles have a wide 'trunk' rather than pole butt :D Bit wobbly too, but great if your going to do Knife v pole drills and cut up the wood eventually...

I found window opening poles also come in 10 ft and shorter lengths...if you find a supplier you can easily cut to length and get rid of the window latch hook...

mun hung
03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Uh, they probably don't make them out of any hardwood do they? I have one of the old BLT ones, and they are very light! Want mine to be like a home gym. :)

k gledhill
03-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Uh, they probably don't make them out of any hardwood do they? I have one of the old BLT ones, and they are very light! Want mine to be like a home gym. :)

Not bad for weight, or $ if you can do 6 pole forms in succession you have had a workout :D