PDA

View Full Version : Sickness (knowledge seeked)

Apprentice
10-24-2001, 07:22 AM
question: Should i train sick? (for those that didnt' wanna read the below, dats the question str8 to the point, for those that dont mind, read below)

I jes came down with somethin, bad cold, sneezin, runny nose, but i jes rented 4 movies on Kung Fu and the arts alike.(and got books on judo/ju-jit-su) I was so happy to get these things and learn, i just HAD to try em out...before i knew it, me n my brother were sparring with the knew knowledge and previous knowledge we had(my bros gonna be so tough, heh)...and then i stayed up and watched a movie, it talked alot about the internal arts and what not, and it really inspired me to train.

I trained for a long time, (mainly only kicks/stretches, balance increasing and a lil strenght/endurance) and i felt alot better as i was doing it. But is that bad in anyway? Trainin sick, does it make the white blood cells not react on the symptoms as well?

Robinf
10-24-2001, 03:16 PM
With something that's just a cold, I don't see any reason not to train to whatever level you can train at--just don't go to the school (you could pass around your cold). I know that working out when I have a cold relieves me of the symptoms and makes it feel like the cold goes away faster.

With illnesses like the flu or others where a fever is involved, rest is the only prescription.

Let's see if anyone has the scientific reasoning behind this. I'm learning this, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

prana
10-25-2001, 02:10 AM
Never train during colds and flus. It can lead to pneumonia. From experience :)

Repulsive Monkey
10-25-2001, 01:08 PM
When ill simply obey the directives of the body and its internal communications. The body is below par, and vital energy is depleted. This is an obvious sign that rest is needed pure and simple. When the body is already weakened why put it through taxation and weaken it more, this just delays the recovery level and strains the bodies Jing.

hkphooey
10-25-2001, 04:39 PM
the word "sick" is always a tricky one. a general rule of thumb that has worked for me is this: if your "sickness" if from the neck up, then go ahead and train. if it's from the neck down, then no go. you'll notice where the lungs fall in that classification...as prana can attest...

perhaps this is a good opportunity to "train" on those things that don't involve strenuous physical movement...

Repulsive Monkey
10-25-2001, 04:56 PM
I would have to say more than anything DO NOT train if you have head problems probably more so than the lungs. If the head is blocked and lets say you are doing exercises which will direct Qi up into the head as part of the whole body circulation, then you are likely to get Qi blockage in the head. This (depending upon the individual) can cause some quite nasty side effects if one persists in their traning. If its not right in the head!, then go to bed.

hkphooey
10-25-2001, 05:27 PM
i respect your point RM, but i'm thinking that perhaps our definitions of "training" differ in this case.

HuangKaiVun
10-27-2001, 02:41 PM
When sick, the body becomes TIRED and DEPRESSED in order to give you the resting time to HEAL.

Forego the rest, forego the health.