PDA

View Full Version : weight training

jay2012
03-22-2012, 12:39 AM
hi all i was wonder if anyone does weight training for there wing chun and if so do you do light weight or heavy weights cheers

lance
03-22-2012, 01:09 AM
You do have options , I wondered if you saw a picture of GM Ip Man with those t kung fu rings on his wrists and doing the sil lum tao set ? Well , it ' s what I would do too . Or you have those light weight kettlebells . Dumbells too , but see if it ' ll work for you first .

imperialtaichi
03-22-2012, 04:20 AM
You do have options , I wondered if you saw a picture of GM Ip Man with those t kung fu rings on his wrists and doing the sil lum tao set ? Well , it ' s what I would do too . Or you have those light weight kettlebells . Dumbells too , but see if it ' ll work for you first .

I also use the iron rings, 12 on each arm. I use heavy butterfly knives. In my other arts I use heavy Bokken, 12 foot long thick spears and hammers.

I don't focus on building muscular strength. It will happen on its own accord. I focus on how to manipulate the weight with minimal effort.

Vajramusti
03-22-2012, 04:52 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
????? Ip Man did not use iron rings. Someone gave him some rings and took a picture and then with photo shop the rings kept increasing in number in different publications. He used kwans and bjd-s for weighting wing chun motions...and the mok jong.

joy chaudhuri

k gledhill
03-22-2012, 06:09 AM
The YM photo with rings is showing the natural strength of the tan angle. TST uses the same angles to impress natural strength.....without weights. We adopt this angle for 'certain' uses ;) , one might see similar angles of SLT, combined with CK
...if you don't understand the angles you might think CK is doing uppercuts and kata. :)

LoneTiger108
03-22-2012, 06:17 AM
The YM photo with rings is showing the natural strength of the tan angle.

Wasn't it this specific photo that was proven to be a fake??

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_likb0vux3L1qf9utzo1_250.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
03-22-2012, 06:23 AM
hi all i was wonder if anyone does weight training for there wing chun and if so do you do light weight or heavy weights cheers

There is "general strength", which is crucial for every MA, actually every person really, to have.
It allows us to lift and carry heavy things in our day-to-day lives and allows us to sometimes go beyond that when our neighbour needs help moving his sofa or fridge.
It also strengthens our bones which we are seeing is being viewed more and more as crucial as we get older.
In that regard it is very beneficial for a WC practitioner to do some type of "weight training".
Then there is "sport specific" strength training and that is the type that is unique to how a WC practitioner moves and fights.
A well balanced WC program would include BOTH.

trubblman
03-22-2012, 06:25 AM

There is weight training that is body building. Not a good idea. There is weight training for performance. That's what I do ( or at least try to do time permitting). Crossfit style workouts. Here is a good site with weight training that would be relevant for combat athletes. http://rosstraining.com/blog/ As far as iron rings on the arms, weight training has made small advancements (#sarcasm) since then.

k gledhill
03-22-2012, 06:35 AM

Arm angle strength is real regardless, fake or not. You can hang body weight on the angle...:D never mind a few rings.

k gledhill
03-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Body building can be combined with VT training, Jak Kontou (http://www.jkwc.co.uk)won his weight class BB ...lots of work.

Sport specific VT exercises, like dynamic iso-tonic arm actions, general iso-metrics ...are intense ALONE , when combined in lat sao jik chun drills its awesome :D.

SLT is an isometric nightmare for newbees.

Core workouts are good to build up unity between elbows and hips.

sanjuro_ronin
03-22-2012, 07:00 AM
Body Building ( increasing lean muscle size) is only ONE type of strength training.
If one wants to develop strength with little or no size increase one can certainly do that.
There are many protocol that have been developed over the decades that are quite good.
That said, I tend to advice any MA to do a general strength building routine AND to do whatever "sport specific" strength building that their particular MA has.
You can obviously substitute modern equipment.
I am sure that if the old guys had the stuff we have now, they would have used it.

k gledhill
03-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Body Building ( increasing lean muscle size) is only ONE type of strength training.
If one wants to develop strength with little or no size increase one can certainly do that.
There are many protocol that have been developed over the decades that are quite good.
That said, I tend to advice any MA to do a general strength building routine AND to do whatever "sport specific" strength building that their particular MA has.
You can obviously substitute modern equipment.
I am sure that if the old guys had the stuff we have now, they would have used it.

Sure, I get a lot of students asking this " can I, should I do weights...? " You can do anything, be a leader ! not a follower...I respond ;)

You can only find out by doing it and experiencing for yourself. The stiffness after weight training if you dont stretchout....
Stretching out becomes another aspect, correct stretching, using PNF methods, CRAC ....
Its a total package deal.

Cardio, sprinting, etc... I run daily and sprint etc... your first opponent isnt a stranger , its you ! How long before you're gasping for air sparring , 1 minute ? ; )

trubblman
03-22-2012, 07:06 AM

It looks fake because even though his arm is slightly angled up, the weights are not sliding down to his elbow. So unless the coefficient of friction of Yip Man's skin was high enough to keep the rinks supported I would say its fake.

k gledhill
03-22-2012, 09:31 AM
original, the other his arm is too long....dont notice straight away.

LoneTiger108
03-22-2012, 09:33 AM
It looks fake because even though his arm is slightly angled up, the weights are not sliding down to his elbow. So unless the coefficient of friction of Yip Man's skin was high enough to keep the rinks supported I would say its fake.

Nope. It's fake because there is another exact same photo with only 3 or 4 rings on Ip mans arms ;)

NOTE: Ah! There it is thanks to Kev!

k gledhill
03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Arm angles and elbows :
tan , jum...

wingchunIan
03-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Arm angle strength is real regardless, fake or not. You can hang body weight on the angle...:D never mind a few rings.
a) whose body weight b) why would you want to? tan sau isn't designed to hold things up in the air.

wingchunIan
03-22-2012, 10:45 AM
with regard to weight training, I personally dont bother unless you include the knives and pole. I find my time is better spent on wing chun training. Over the years I've come to realise that performance related fitness both strength and endurance only comes through performance specific exercise (for those who spar, its like the difference between jogging and skipping or sparring, I know guys who can run 20km including intervals but get gassed after three three minute rounds). Exercise bands are about as close as I come and are great if you want to add resistance to a punch as you can line the direction of resistance up with the angle of the punch.

k gledhill
03-22-2012, 11:04 AM
a) whose body weight b) why would you want to? tan sau isn't designed to hold things up in the air.

Mine 180lbs ..okay 185 :D just proving a short 'levers' ability to maintain its position as it attacks, stronger angle than an outstretched, over extended, error making, chasing lever ;)

it emphasizes that one should have a good jut sao ; ) and know what to do next if you cant move it....its a science.

sanjuro_ronin
03-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Weights like the rings don't really add resistance to the movement, unless the movement is an upward one.
What they do is add weight to the arm to strengthen the shoulders, traps, neck and lats, all crucial in any arm striking motion.
I think that for the "recreational" practitioner what they get out of "standard" training is enough but for anyone that wishes to take his/her MA to the next level then supplementary ST is a must, as is shown by all the old training manuals that show practitioners doing just that.

lance
04-03-2012, 01:28 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
????? Ip Man did not use iron rings. Someone gave him some rings and took a picture and then with photo shop the rings kept increasing in number in different publications. He used kwans and bjd-s for weighting wing chun motions...and the mok jong.

joy chaudhuri Joy , okay I did ' nt know that , but thanks for the information though .

bennyvt
04-03-2012, 02:19 PM
ive got a periodized plan for the year which has strength, endurance, speed and agility and flexibility. Not only does it make you stronger, faster etc. It give you something else to do. Have you ever just trained for 8 hours a day doing VT. You get bored pretty quickly. Adding this into gives more motivation but you can also adapt the excercises to make them more VT-ish.
All elite athletes do some sort of strength work. Training with a partner etc is too variable to ensure results.