PDA

View Full Version : Rocking push-ups

pain_junkie
07-23-2001, 06:09 AM
Anyone do these during training? I was just wondering, exactly what muscle groups these work? I'd have to say that they're one of my biggest weaknesses when it comes to training, but at the same time I find they're one of the most fun things...If that makes any sense. Anyway, I can do military pushups just fine, but rocking give me trouble. On rocking pushups, I start slowing down around 10-12 of 20 or so. On military pushups I don't start slowing down really until the last 2 or 3..Something about rocking pushups really takes out my steam, but I guess I haven't bothered to sit down and analyze it until now..So, what's the deal w/ these evil, EVIL pushups? ;)

phoenix-eye
07-25-2001, 01:24 AM
What do you mean by rocking push-ups?

The only thing I can think of is when we go down to 2 inches and hold. We then rock side to side for a while (tooooo long!) and then push up. We keep doing this for ages - I can't do an awful lot though. We usually do these after some sets of other press ups - knuckles. back of wrists, fingertips, wide arm and hands together. After a few minutes of these "rocking press-ups" my arms just stop working.

It seems to work the stomach muscles as much as anything else.

Maybe some of the many knowledgeable folks out there could give some more info?

vegeta
07-25-2001, 01:29 PM
how do u do the rocking pushups????

to have no limitation as a limitation (Bruce Lee)

baldmantiz
07-25-2001, 02:53 PM
rocking pushups are done like this....
assume a pushup position only spread your legs about a shoulder length and a half apart and start with your a$$ raised in the air. then rock down and forward. the ending position for this part is with your head looking up and your a$$ a couple of inches off the ground. then return to the starting position. the key for these is doing them slow. i do these for training they get very difficult.

To know others is to have knowledge. To know oneself is to be enlightened.

pain_junkie
07-26-2001, 12:01 AM
Yo baldmantis, thanks for the explanation of what rocking pushups are. It was shorter and made a lot more sense than anything I probably would have written... :D

Fu-Pow
07-26-2001, 12:38 AM
We do these too. There is a legend that there was an ancient Indian wrestler who's only excercise was "rocking pushups." He did 5000 of them a day. He was the best wrestler in India. Don't know if it is true, but its a cool story.

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

vegeta
07-26-2001, 01:49 AM
thanks for the explanation!

to have no limitation as a limitation (Bruce Lee)

Stranger
07-26-2001, 03:01 AM
Gama was the wrestler's name. I don't know about the exact number however.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.