PDA

View Full Version : Fighting with Wing Chun - Do you use Palms

Yoshiyahu
03-28-2012, 01:18 PM
When you fight with wing chun, do you use palm strikes or just punches to attack with?

Are the palm techniques strickly for intercepting incoming attacks or can the palm techniques be used as strikes like pak, gum, wu, gan, and man?

m1k3
03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
You shouldn't fight with Wing Chun.

1. She's a girl and that's just wrong.

2. She'd probably kick your butt and that's just embarrassing.

:D

Lee Chiang Po
03-28-2012, 02:02 PM
When you fight with wing chun, do you use palm strikes or just punches to attack with?

Are the palm techniques strickly for intercepting incoming attacks or can the palm techniques be used as strikes like pak, gum, wu, gan, and man?

Yes. Because of cut and crush injuries to my right hand, I can no longer make a decent fist, so that hand was trained for finger stabbing and heel of palm strikes. It is call palm, but actually it is the very heel of the hand, sort of like the wrist without a fist on it. You can actually shove hard enough to break ribs or dislocate joints for an opponent. Also, a flat palm strike, or slap, can create chaos in your brain if hard enough.

JPinAZ
03-28-2012, 02:17 PM
I can't believe someone claiming over 15 years in WCK really had to ask if there are palms stikes in WCK :rolleyes:

Vajramusti
03-28-2012, 03:03 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------
Good grief!!!

Yoshiyahu
03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
J since some people WC doesn't punch to the face, Use uppercuts, doesn't use elbows or knees. I was just wondering how many people on here WC doesn't utilize the palm strikes? Its a valid question?

I can't believe someone claiming over 15 years in WCK really had to ask if there are palms stikes in WCK :rolleyes:

Good Grief is what i said at the thread about not punching to the face!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Good grief!!!

Happy Tiger
03-29-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm definitely an open hand fighter. Although there is a small decrease in reach, I find many pluses to palm and open hand striking. I love to cut into the crease in the neck(carotid sinus)for fast knockout, so natural with open hand. Easy to stay relaxed and transition from tools like lop sau and pak sau biu sao to strike. Health and blood transfer issues are obvious.

Yoshiyahu
03-29-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm definitely an open hand fighter. Although there is a small decrease in reach, I find many pluses to palm and open hand striking. I love to cut into the crease in the neck(carotid sinus)for fast knockout, so natural with open hand. Easy to stay relaxed and transition from tools like lop sau and pak sau biu sao to strike. Health and blood transfer issues are obvious.

thanks for that...very interesting post...glad someone shared there opinion here!

nasmedicine
03-30-2012, 03:35 AM

IMHO, Palm is optional except for the face (must use palm on the face). Many reasons why (Jackie mentioned a few) however the most pressing would be infection which can then lead to septicemia or worse. Punch injuries are classified as "Human Bite" in the ER. Very toxic, and not a risk I would take especially with Hep C and HIV/AIDS.

anerlich
03-30-2012, 05:02 AM
Fighting with Wing Chun - Do you use Palms

I prefer pines and oaks.

wingchunIan
03-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Yoshi, maybe you should stop to think about how you phrase your threads. If you'd asked whether people prefer to use palms or punches, or asked if there were any schools that don't use palm strikes, you would have gotten an intelligent (well relatively) discussion.
In answer to what I think you were asking, personally I use a mix of punches and palms including spade palms, as well as gouges and finger strikes. The weapon used is whatever comes out naturally given the range, angle and opening presented.

lance
03-30-2012, 11:53 PM

Yoshi , I use palms and fists and use the hand techniques that wing chun has to offer . You have the right and left cross pak sao and the low palm slap block . there is vertical palm strike , upside down palm strike , and the horizontal palm strike , double pal strike . There is palm strike where you can use to deflect an incoming punch and strike the opponent in the right side of the face simultaneusly . The wu sao is to protect the body from retaliation by the opponents' attack . Or when you throw a right punch at your opponent , and he happens to block and grab you attacking hand , and try to pull you off balance , the wu sao is used to prevent you opponent from pulling you off balance .

Phil Redmond
03-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Here are some WC palm strikes: http://www.youtube.com/user/wckwoon

HumbleWCGuy
04-01-2012, 07:40 AM
Palm striking is something that should be used across all martial arts. Perhaps in something like Muay Thai that is largely a ring art, palm striking is de-emphasized.

JPinAZ
04-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Here are some WC palm strikes: http://www.youtube.com/user/wckwoon

Phil, fyi - your link just goes to you main youtube channel, not to a specific video. Was this intentional?

Phil Redmond
04-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Phil, fyi - your link just goes to you main youtube channel, not to a specific video. Was this intentional?
I see what you mean but I was trying to show me using palms in a "demo". That was the clip I wanted to show.

Yoshiyahu
04-02-2012, 01:17 PM
No, I meant specifically does your WC utilize palms when sparring or is it only used in forms...I worded it the correct way sir. It may sound wrong but i wanted to hear from others if their wing chun uses palm techniques as offensive attacks as well as defensive hands or the lack there of...

Yoshi, maybe you should stop to think about how you phrase your threads. If you'd asked whether people prefer to use palms or punches, or asked if there were any schools that don't use palm strikes, you would have gotten an intelligent (well relatively) discussion.
In answer to what I think you were asking, personally I use a mix of punches and palms including spade palms, as well as gouges and finger strikes. The weapon used is whatever comes out naturally given the range, angle and opening presented.

Wayfaring
04-02-2012, 01:59 PM
I use palms all the time navigating this forum.

FacePalms. :D

Underdog-Knight
04-02-2012, 03:33 PM
No, I meant specifically does your WC utilize palms when sparring or is it only used in forms...I worded it the correct way sir. It may sound wrong but i wanted to hear from others if their wing chun uses palm techniques as offensive attacks as well as defensive hands or the lack there of...

What WC doesn't utilize palm strikes???

In my opinion palm strikes represent a higher level of striking in WC. It's more harder to apply compared to closed fists but it's a more versatile weapon. And yes I try to use them as much as possible as well as in sparring.

Yoshiyahu
04-04-2012, 01:30 PM

In my opinion palm strikes represent a higher level of striking in WC. It's more harder to apply compared to closed fists but it's a more versatile weapon. And yes I try to use them as much as possible as well as in sparring.

thanks for sharing buddy...good post

wtxs
04-06-2012, 10:32 AM

Welcome to the madness ... gather you already has an handle of why many member here dogged the OP.

Matt_WCK
04-09-2012, 05:50 AM
Just thought I'd throw my two-pence in...

A quick disclaimer - in my understanding, Wing Chun is a concept-based, effects-orientated art so, as long as your enemy lies bleeding/battered at your feet afterwards, it really is academic how they ended up there. The Wing Chun system simply provides an efficient array of tools to do the job and the various Wing Chun styles give a variety of differing methods based on those tools. To focus on specific techniques detracts from this approach - simply use what works for you (give it a try - that is what chi sau is for!), the forms showcase the various tools available but do not say how to use them or that you should even use all of them.

Anyway, the way I teach is to use punches as a weapon, pure and simple. Chain punches can batter or harry an opponent but you are unlikely to get a 'kill-shot' with one. Palm strikes however are much nastier tools but have to be carefully targeted. Think of chain punching as a machine-gun effect compared to the sniper rifle palm strikes. Palms are much more flexible tools and can 'leak' into the inside gate to cause devastating injuries to the neck/throat in particular. They are a good lead in for chin na techniques also. They tend to be applied from kiu sau rather than jeet sau like punches.

In a similar way, elbows tend to used for destructions against head or organs etc at close range but they can be quite slow and limited leaving you in a bad position if you get them wrong or use them from the off (shotgun effect).

Like everything else, palms, elbows and fists have equal utility as defensive structures, recovery tools or for deformation of structures.

As I said before, find what works for you, it will be a different combination from your sifu no doubt which is why all sifu should teach the whole system, allowing the students to discover their own preferences. Chi sau is your opportunity to play with these structures and experiment in a safe environment.

Matt_WCK
04-09-2012, 06:05 AM

A quick disclaimer - in my understanding, Wing Chun is a concept-based, effects-orientated art so, as long as your enemy lies bleeding/battered at your feet afterwards, it really is academic how they ended up there. The Wing Chun system simply provides an efficient array of tools to do the job and the various Wing Chun styles give a variety of differing methods based on those tools. To focus on specific techniques detracts from this approach - simply use what works for you (give it a try - that is what chi sau is for!), the forms showcase the various tools available but do not say how to use them or that you should even use all of them.

Anyway, the way I teach is to use punches as a weapon, pure and simple. Chain punches can batter or harry an opponent but you are unlikely to get a 'kill-shot' with one. Palm strikes however are much nastier tools but have to be carefully targeted. Think of chain punching as a machine-gun effect compared to the sniper rifle palm strikes. Palms are much more flexible tools and can 'leak' into the inside gate to cause devastating injuries to the neck/throat in particular. They are a good lead in for chin na techniques also. They tend to be applied from kiu sau rather than jeet sau like punches.

In a similar way, elbows tend to used for destructions against head or organs etc at close range but they can be quite slow and limited leaving you in a bad position if you get them wrong or use them from the off (shotgun effect).

Like everything else, palms, elbows and fists have equal utility as defensive structures, recovery tools or for deformation of structures.

As I said before, find what works for you, it will be a different combination from your sifu no doubt which is why all sifu should teach the whole system, allowing the students to discover their own preferences. Chi sau is your opportunity to play with these structures and experiment in a safe environment.

Yoshiyahu
04-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Very good post. I see some similiaries in the way i was trained concerning yours...Thanks for sharing...

Its really funny how most just talk trash instead of sharing...