PDA

View Full Version : Hindu Squats aren't complete?

IronFist
07-26-2001, 10:23 PM
I was just thinking of this. Ok, I don't really do Hindu Squats at all so I don't know, but wouldn't they be bad if all you did for your legs was Hindu Squats? I mean, they don't work your hamstrings, right? So you're going to get overdeveloped quads and underdeveloped hams, which can lead to injury.

Or is there something I don't know? Or is there another bodyweight exercise for hams?

Iron

BAI HE
07-26-2001, 11:56 PM
Hit the hams and glutes a bit. They are just such big muscle groups that you don't
notice as much. Try and relax your quads, rely on your hammy's for balance. Alot of MA's , Myself included have more developed quads than hammy's.
If you have access to a gym, do alot of hammy curls. It's not necessary to have your heel hit your but either. Use moderate weight and don't cheat. Concentrate on tightening and contracting those hamstrings.
I finance a Bowflex (I gotta stop giving them free plugs!) for around $60 a month. It has the leg attachment with the ham curl and quad raise, a lat tower and a squat attachment.

Every body type is differnt, it might not be the exercise for you. "Intent" is just as important in lifting as punching and kicking.
Concentrate, Isolate and hammer that Muscle!!! :rolleyes:

Kumkuat
07-27-2001, 12:31 AM
has there been any proof of people having injuries because one side of the body is more developed than the other side? Taiji training works the quads a lot and not much hams, yet the guys at the chen villiage don't seem to be have any troubles. There is the petellalfemoral symdrome, but that's caused by imbalances in the same muscle (quad).

BAI HE
07-27-2001, 01:18 AM
My personal experience is that even if you correctly target the hams and glutes they are such
overworked muscles during the course of human structural development that we take them for granted (they can take sooooo much resistance training). They are hard to isolate and work simply because they have been bearing the load of our upright mass since we began walking. As our quads and conditioning come along, and the support structure strengthens (ie: ACL, MCL etc..)
the ham's relax.
As we develop coord in the quads and strength, the basic muscular support "intent" of the ham is weakened, thus it's role.
These "taken for granted groups", the largest muscle groups in the body, need alot of work! You need to push them hard, harder than imaginable due to their load/threshold. The fine tuned strength and coord training of MA's, usually result in the tacit ignoring of the engine itself, THE HAMS AND GLUTES.
Kick like a horse, but remember the true engine is on the backside of the leg, the one we can't see in the mirror when we kick.

IronFist
07-27-2001, 02:29 AM
kumkuat,

the reason runners pull their hamstrings so much is because their quads get overdeveloped in proportion. I guess that's kind of proof...

Iron

Dave C.
07-27-2001, 08:13 AM
What i do to balance out the leg workouts is to wear heavy ankle weights. Right after I do the hindu squats I then do standing leg curls (slowly, and try flexing the hams a bit). The squats are an excellant way to build up the knees. Bagua puts a treemndous amout of strain on my knees but the pain is gone now that i do this routine every other day. Enjoy!

Ford Prefect
07-28-2001, 06:33 PM
Iron,

I'm not sure what the exrecise is called (body curl maybe?), but you:

1) lay on your stomach
2) put something like a sandbag over the back of your ankles for support.
3) curl your entire body up. it's kind of like a reverse leg curl.

Do a few of these after the hindu's to give your hams that extra kick.

Sharky
07-28-2001, 06:46 PM
can someone give me a description on hindu squats please?

My anus is superiorâ„¢

UberShaman
07-28-2001, 08:38 PM
Hindu squats are what happen when you drink the water in India. :) For the real answer this page gives a good description
http://www.mattfurey.com/exercises.html

Taone
07-30-2001, 02:35 PM
Can anyone give a better description of Hindu squats?? How far to go down, length of time to hold, how many reps, all the way up?? etc. There is only one picture on Matt Furey's website?? Excuse the ignorance :)