PDA

View Full Version : Mentality When Fighting

Yoshiyahu
03-29-2012, 01:07 PM
When you fight with wing chun what mental state of mind should you be in?

A. Peaceful, Kind, No Hate and Passive?

B. Anger, Merciless, Hate and Aggression?

What state of mind should you be in?

Should be more peaceful and tranquil and opt to just defend against your opponet!

Should you be more aggressive, anger in your eyes, and Show No mercy when you fight!

Eric_H
03-29-2012, 04:18 PM
If you have time to think in a fight, then it is developing slowly enough that you can avoid it.

Yoshiyahu
03-29-2012, 04:32 PM
If you have time to think in a fight, then it is developing slowly enough that you can avoid it.

Its not about thinking..its about emotion?

What emotion do you harness!

YouKnowWho
03-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Its not about thinking..its about emotion?
In TCMA in general, when you fight, you should act like a tiger and try to eat your opponent alive. You should attack, attack, and attack, ... My teacher liked my SC brother David C. K. Lin because when he fought, his face turned into green. My wife also told me that I'm not the person that anybody wants to meet in a dark alley. :D

To be kind to your enemy is to be cruel to yourself.

imperialtaichi
03-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Like capturing and slaughtering a cattle. No emotion. Just a task.

Lee Chiang Po
03-29-2012, 09:46 PM
You can't really control this aspect. Say you are facing a fellow a head taller and a hundred pounds heavier, mean and ugly looking and with a reputation for literally crushing people, or you are facing a fellow about half your size and scared to death of you. Your demeanor is going to be very different in each situation. Controlling emotion is like controlling the weather. Can't be did. You just have to be confident in your fighting ability and trust it. If you have doubts it will show when you are getting your a$$ kicked.
Unless you are superman you are not going to get in a fight and come out unscathed. You are going to get abused a bit unless you sneak up on him. You have to be able to do some damage control as you fight, and you have to be able to apply your skills with total confidense that it will work for you. If you can't handle that, best take out running as soon as you see trouble brewing.

lance
03-29-2012, 11:03 PM

A. Peaceful, Kind, No Hate and Passive?

B. Anger, Merciless, Hate and Aggression?

What state of mind should you be in?

Should be more peaceful and tranquil and opt to just defend against your opponet!

Should you be more aggressive, anger in your eyes, and Show No mercy when you fight!

Yoshi , I ' m walking down the street going to a store , and I ' m just minding my own business and this guy comes out of nowhere and he pushes me to the side .
I would be in a defensive mode already I would warn him that I really don ' t want trouble from him . But he still want to attack me , I would just react to his attack , and hurt him . How do you think we should think ? Someone is assaulting us physically and mentally . You ' re going to do what you really need to do .

YouKnowWho
03-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I would just react to his attack , and hurt him .

I had one experience like that. Someone attacks my by surprise. My foot kicked out without any order from my brain. It was just body natural reflection.

wingchunIan
03-30-2012, 12:40 AM
In a word fear. If I am not afraid for my life or my loved ones then I won't be fighting. I teach my guys to draw a line and if that line is crossed we give it everything, kitchen sink and all with nothing held back, we go for soft targets by rote but it is a purely physical trained response.
I don't hate my attacker, i don't know them, they may have all manner of personal issues or mental illness that I am unaware of but it won't stop me causing them serious harm. Equally the idea of maintaining a zen like calm when taken by surprise is iffy to say the least unless you know that the other guy isn't really trying to hurt you or is totally incapable of doing so. The calm jedi master only exists in comic books and films (oh and with nicely compliant partners in class and doing demos)

jesper
03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
weird question. it depends on so many factors.
Sometimes your really mad, sometimes scared ****less and sometimes indifferent. its all about the situation

Happy Tiger
03-30-2012, 02:56 PM
I like to keep a 'professional' mindset and dememor. I am an emotional person by nature, so let emotion flow, not bottle, keep and let go without much staunch. I let each emotion hold a moment in time and consideration, then let the next. I love life, even the life of my opponent. I have been on both sides of many fences, so have at least empathy, if not simpathy for most of my counterparts.By applying that, along with a 'strong sense of self preservation'.I get it done.

Wayfaring
03-30-2012, 04:12 PM

For me? Relaxed. I burn way too much energy inefficiently when I'm all worked up and tense.

imperialtaichi
03-30-2012, 06:00 PM
If you are angry, you end up doing things that you shouldn't.

If you have fear, you fail to do things that you should.

If you have compassion for your enemy, you are already defeated.

I am not talking about suppressing your emotions; I am talking about habitually not being clouded by emotions in your everyday living, so you can logically assess every situations and be effective in your living and fighting.