PDA

View Full Version : Are these White Crane postures?

TopCrusader
03-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Hello everyone!
I ran across some pictures of a young Bruce Lee (circa 1963) in various poses and was wondering if these look like White Crane kung fu? I know many styles have long-arm techniques but I dont know enough about those arts to rule anything in or out. If you dont think these are White Crane postures, please let me know what you think it might be if its at all possible to guess. Thanks!

hskwarrior
03-31-2012, 10:18 AM
one pic looks northern the rest look like choy lee fut to me

5thBrother
04-01-2012, 06:29 AM
this thread may help

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62185&highlight=bruce+lee

TopCrusader
04-01-2012, 09:26 AM
one pic looks northern the rest look like choy lee fut to me

Thanks for the info. In the first pic, the crouching one...any idea what the purpose of that move is?

YouKnowWho
04-01-2012, 11:25 AM
In the first pic, the crouching one...any idea what the purpose of that move is?
You use your back hand to control your opponent's arm. You use your leading hand to strike your opponent's body.

hskwarrior
04-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info. In the first pic, the crouching one...any idea what the purpose of that move is?

without seeing how he got into that position, its hard to tell. he could be doing a sweep. he could be parrying a strike while leaning away. it could be the beginning of another technique. I can't tell if he has a palm or dragon hand there. but like i said unless i can see how it came to be, its just guess work.

Dr.Rob
04-01-2012, 01:24 PM
I think these are all Hop Gar? are they not??

I heard reference to his research on the subject and application???It was reamrked in one of his textbooks , if my memory works.

TopCrusader
04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
I think these are all Hop Gar? are they not??

I heard reference to his research on the subject and application???It was reamrked in one of his textbooks , if my memory works.

I have never heard that before....if you come across your source, please share it!!!

David Jamieson
04-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Top right shows a Crane Claw as found in Shaolin 5 animals styles.

hskwarrior
04-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Top right shows a Crane Claw as found in Shaolin 5 animals styles.

huh? that looks more like a dragons claw, eagle claw or even a disabled tiger claw....cranes claw? uhhhhhhhh idk bout that one. :confused:

TopCrusader
04-02-2012, 06:24 PM
The top right pic of Bruce being discussed (possibly from Shaolin 5 animal system)...here is a picture of a similar stance from southern shaolin:

http://www.scottleslie.net/kinmon/art/exhibitn.jpg

(the man on the far left)

mickey
04-02-2012, 07:12 PM
TopCrusader,

I see the resemblance with the two photos. Wouldn't the connective be James Yimm Lee in this regard?

mickey

hskwarrior
04-02-2012, 09:32 PM
The pic you posted features the master of T.Y. Wong. This style is called Fut Gar Kuen.

if you have been around many of the old masters you'd see they all used the same type of hand. we do it in ours as well.

David Jamieson
04-03-2012, 12:57 PM
huh? that looks more like a dragons claw, eagle claw or even a disabled tiger claw....cranes claw? uhhhhhhhh idk bout that one. :confused:

yep, in old shaolin, in 5 animals and in ha say fu that is a crane claw.
It's true. :-) 2 fingers (index and middle +thumb) form the claw while the ring and pinky are folded.

It's used to grab about the jaw, the eyes, the ears, the neck and soft targets on the body.

hskwarrior
04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
It's used to grab about the jaw, the eyes, the ears, the neck and soft targets on the body.

there you go, making up stuff again LOL just playing. still, i think its up to interpretation.

David Jamieson
04-04-2012, 05:20 AM
there you go, making up stuff again LOL just playing. still, i think its up to interpretation.

Well, that's how I learned it in S5A. It was expressly a Crane claw and was intended for that type of use. I certainly wouldn't box with a claw hand form. :p

GETHIN
04-05-2012, 05:36 AM
The Fujian concept as I was taught is that it is used in a sharp downward tug - sometimes in conjuction with a descending jump. ideally to loose clothing such as the collar. Having dragged your opponents head down about 4-6 inches, it's then followed up with a swift combination of punches to the face.:)