PDA

View Full Version : Are those general TCMA subjects?

YouKnowWho
04-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Many threads such as:

- Full Contact Fights,
- Boxing pads & power & reflex training,
- weight training,
- Punching people in the face?
- Do you attack first or do you let them?
- Matter of Range,
- Vegetarianism,

sounds like "general TCMA discussion". Why are those subjects in the WC section?

GlennR
04-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Many threads such as:

- Full Contact Fights,
- weight training,
- Matter of Range,

sounds like "general TCMA discussion". Why are those subjects in the WC section?

????????

Because they are relevant to fight training and WC is supposed to be a fighting art

k gledhill
04-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Here we go again....tedious.

Vajramusti
04-04-2012, 05:44 AM
Here we go again....tedious.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

agree

joy chaudhuri

Wayfaring
04-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Many threads such as:

- Full Contact Fights,
- weight training,
- Matter of Range,

Well, they are more general MA discussion - nothing restricting the above to a Chinese background.

IMO these forums - KFO have uniquely divided membership. Many posting in the WCK forum seldom venture off into the other board areas, as they seem to discuss concepts with other WCK people.

Also, WCK people like to have their own unique brand of lineage bickering, which general MA groups wouldn't understand. So the tendency is to wall them off in their own little area and let them go at it if they are at least civil.

Jubei1
04-04-2012, 01:51 PM
So the tendency is to wall them off in their own little area and let them go at it if they are at least civil.

lol interesting view point.

Although I do admit that there seems to be more bickering and politics in WC/VT then other arts that I have studied I find it really odd that despite all the bad press that WC/VT has it constantly is the most visited section. So much so that even ppl who don't train the style/system even chime in and add to the discussion (good or bad).

Sihing73
04-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Hello,

They are here because the majority are okay with them being so.

This is your forum, the members, so unless something is blatant or receives complaints it tends to stay here where posted.

Several years ago this forum was kept to things on topic and a lot of trival crap was deleted or removed. However, the majority at that time decided they wanted a more relaxed forum and today we see the result.

Not saying bad or good, just making an obseration.

Vajramusti
04-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Hello,

They are here because the majority are okay with them being so.

This is your forum, the members, so unless something is blatant or receives complaints it tends to stay here where posted.

Several years ago this forum was kept to things on topic and a lot of trival crap was deleted or removed. However, the majority at that time decided they wanted a more relaxed forum and today we see the result.

Not saying bad or good, just making an obseration.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave: Relaxed forum? Wow?
Majority? What kind of polling was used? There is a lot of fluctuation in participation.
I don't see much moderation...as a result it's often a mad hatter's party!!

joy chaudhuri

LFJ
04-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Many threads such as:

- Full Contact Fights,
- weight training,
- Matter of Range,
- Vegetarianism,

Those may well fit in a general TCMA discussion forum, but if you wanted to narrow the responses to the WC POV you would post them in the WC forum. By doing so it would assume the question is prefaced with "from your WC perspective" without having to type that at the beginning of every topic... That much should have been obvious.

Sihing73
04-05-2012, 07:39 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave: Relaxed forum? Wow?
Majority? What kind of polling was used? There is a lot of fluctuation in participation.
I don't see much moderation...as a result it's often a mad hatter's party!!

joy chaudhuri

Joy, go back a couple of years and you will see quite a difference. Used to moderate the forum more heavily.

I believe if you are inclined to search you can find several threads regarding the issue of moderation. Current state is a direct result of the input from our members on those threads as well as PM's.

I agree that moderation is quite light currently. Not to my preference but then again I also have a life outside of the forum and do not get to read all posts. Hence the need to rely on members to bring things to my, and other moderators, attention.

It is a shame, IMHO, that some older members, Kathy Jo, Rene and others, seem to be absent as I believe the opportuntity to learn and explore is present but is often overshadowed by other more trivial pursuits.

Vajramusti
04-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Joy, go back a couple of years and you will see quite a difference. Used to moderate the forum more heavily.

((Yes, more junk))

I believe if you are inclined to search you can find several threads regarding the issue of moderation. Current state is a direct result of the input from our members on those threads as well as PM's.

((Survey research can be more disciplined than dealing with frequent posters))

I agree that moderation is quite light currently. Not to my preference but then again I also have a life outside of the forum and do not get to read all posts. Hence the need to rely on members to bring things to my, and other moderators, attention.

((Sanjuro and Jamieson have done quite well in keeping junk more manageable in some of the other forums))

It is a shame, IMHO, that some older members, Kathy Jo, Rene and others, seem to be absent as I believe the opportuntity to learn and explore is present but is often overshadowed by other more trivial pursuits.

((More exits-permanent or temporary than those- Robert Chu and others.BTW I dont object non wc folks posting. Not talking behind his back- Yoshiyahus's voluminous non sequiturs is a record of sorts and threads going off topic is quite pervasive. IMO anyway. ADD seems to be a side effect of
some internet communications. Too bad.))joy

Wayfaring
04-05-2012, 09:13 AM

Kathy Jo and Rene haven't posted here in ages, and I seriously doubt it has anything to do with moderation and/or whether or not you allow general MA topics in this forum. Last I saw, Rene was a purple belt in BJJ, so I highly doubt he'd be complaining much about general topics like that.

It's a shame to me that we've lost input from people like Victor Parlati and Terence Niehoff. A long time Moy Yat and William Cheung man and a Robert Chu pragmatist. They were banned for bickering or something. Both those guys were pushing for better training methods in WCK.

For that matter Robert himself hasn't posted much. Alan Orr comes on here and shares his training methods, which are doing well for his guys. Of course that brings all its own controversy.

I mean I guess you could moderate everything around here to delete anything not "pure WCK" and that has any element of debate. Then it would be a great place for Joy to come to so he could talk to himself.

couch
04-05-2012, 09:22 AM
The forum's not all bad...there are some diamonds in the rough.

I find this saying holds reverence here, "He who screams the loudest knows the least."

So, the inverse should hold true as well.

Yoshiyahu
04-10-2012, 01:23 PM
The simple answer would be every one wing chun is different, every one level and understanding is different as well. You have those totally oppose to weight training. An you have those who says Range doesn't matter. An those who fight at multiple ranges and those who only fight at one range. Everyone is different. Sometimes your WC may have some componets thats not quasi pure WC like modern weights, kettlle bells or even a punching bag...But that doesn't mean those additions to not add to your WC...

So its nice to hear things other people do...that may differ...

Many threads such as:

- Full Contact Fights,
- weight training,
- Matter of Range,
- Vegetarianism,