PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of colds

ged
08-10-2001, 04:40 AM
same as subject

what do u ppl do? i had a soccer coach who was a fitness nut, whenever he got a cold he'd 'run it out'.... just run and run and run.

or do you rest? and drink lots of orange juice?

also, is there anyone who doesnt get colds, and what do you attribute this to?

last week, i really tired myself out, with running, gym and kung fu.

this morning i woke up with a cold, and i didnt goto kung fu, i figured id just have to blow my nose every 10 minutes, which wouldnt work. maybe im just a wuss. regardless, did i get this cold because i pushed myself too hard? i always eat a lot, but maybe i didnt get enough sleep?

anyone have any ideas?

IronFist
08-10-2001, 05:59 AM
Colds suck.

Vitamin C and keeping hydrated are good precautionary measures. Some people think high doses of vitamin C will help speed it along once you get sick, as well. Just rest, and don't over exert yourself if you don't feel up to it.

Try taking a hot shower, as hot as you can stand it. Might make you feel better.

Iron

**Little*Dragon**
08-10-2001, 07:43 AM
I am a Pharmacist by profession. These are my recommendations:
1) Take a week off from class. None of your kung fu brothers and sisters will appreciate it if you pass it on to them.
2) Rest. Lots of it. It will do no good to run your body down anymore than it is.
3) Lots of fluids. Hot liquids (lemon tea/chicken soup) will be soothing
4) Tylenol or Paracetamol for any fever/discomfort
5) Vitamin C. Don't know if it really works but I take it...just in case ;)

When you are better you can get back at it!
:D :D

Little Dragon

baldmantiz
08-10-2001, 07:18 PM
i have found my best solutions to be:
1) plenty of water and juice and tea
2) soup...preferably lipton noodle
3) go to bed with a sweatshirt and sweat pants on and get underneath all the blankets....sweat everything out.

To know others is to have knowledge. To know oneself is to be enlightened.

Repulsive Monkey
08-10-2001, 09:42 PM
from a Chinese Medicine perspective it depends on how you caught the cold. It could be wind-cold invasion, wind-heat invasion or damp-wind invasion. If there are no heat symptoms then by al means try to introduce heat into the body to warm it and sweating to expel it. Ginger or even a curry is good and a medicinal amount of Brandy is even good. If there is heat like symptoms i.e. sweating, fevers, sore aching throat and a gree/yellow discharge from the lungs then giving too much heat can aggravate the situation. The other two situations either need to eradicate the cold from the system (with heat) or disperse the abundant fluids i.e. the damp-wind invasion this too may heat like treatment to re-adjust the fluid levels in the body.
Above all rest is the key as colds are seen as an attack upon the surface layer/protective Qi of the body, the Wei Qi. Whilst this defence is down the body is then vulnerable to other pathgenic factors.

Fu-Pow
08-11-2001, 01:21 AM
Everything I've heard so far sounds pretty good.
Very knowledgable people on this forum.

Here is a herbal remedy you can try. I've had some good success with it.

Here is what you need:

3 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
(dispels cold and dampness)
2 cloves crushed garlic
(natural antibiotic)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
(dispels cold and dampness)
Juice from 2 small lemons
(vitamin C + breaks up "the crud)
Honey (for taste)

1) Add grated ginger to boiling water. Boil 5 min.

2) Turn down heat to a simmer. Add garlic,cayenne pepper, juice from lemons and honey. Heat for 2 more minutes at low heat.
3) Strain and serve.

You can add more water if its too strong.
:D

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

ged
08-11-2001, 02:21 AM
thanks everyone for the suggestions.

i had an hour long shower yesterday, i think i used up about a swimming pool full of water.

brandy - that didnt taste so good, not sure if it helped.

fu-pow thanks for that, ill give the recipe to mum, see if she'll make it. lol.

thanks.

prana
08-23-2001, 06:44 AM
some research suggests ZINC to be great for shortening colds and flus. Anyone know anything bout this ?

maestro
08-23-2001, 08:04 PM
I've heard taking Garlic pills when you feel a cold coming on can help you aviod getting really sick. I think they are supposed to help boost your immune system. Does anyone know if this is true?

I've taken them before when I felt a cold coming on, and I think they helped, but it may have just been a placebo effect.

Swimming is not a sport, it's something you do to keep from drowning.
Fighting is not a sport, it's something you do to keep from dying.

Fu-Pow
08-24-2001, 12:24 AM
Sorry, forgot to tell you the amount of water. Start with 3 cups. Add more if it is too strong.

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting