PDA

View Full Version : How can I be sure that I have good form when I am lifting weights?

phantom
08-11-2001, 10:44 PM
I often read books about the proper way to do weight lifting exercises, yet I still do not have the best form. So how can I make sure that I am lifting weights properly? Thanks in advance.

Lost_Disciple
08-12-2001, 02:16 AM
Lift slowly, with really light weight until you get the motion down. Also use a mirror to make 100% sure your body is doing what you think it is.
Really slowly (over the period of weeks and months) build the weight back up, concentrating heavily on the form.

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

IronFist
08-12-2001, 03:14 AM
Is there a particular exercise you're wondering about? Or do you just mean in general?

unclaimed effort
08-12-2001, 04:16 AM
Lighter weights.

nospam
08-12-2001, 04:23 AM
As several have recommended, using lighter weight and slow repetitions (just like you would slow down when learning a new technique in your martial arts training) allowing you to concentrate on the muscle group(s) you are stressing is a good way.

Look around a gym and you see a lot of people using sloppy form because they are lifting out of their means or going too heavy, so the first thing to go is form...just like martial arts; speed things up and the first thing that goes is form.

You should be doing a warm-up set to begin, use this time to your advantage and practise proper form and feel of movement. One thing to watch out for is arching the back too much during a rep or swinging the body when using heavier weights.

Train hard, and smart.

nospam
:cool:

IronFist
08-12-2001, 09:13 AM
You could just go watch people at a gym, and assume that they are using bad form, because hey, most people do :)

Wait, I just thought of something else. Go get this book by Arnold called "The New Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding" or something. It's the big ase black and grey book, like 800 some pages. Some of the info in the book is iffy, but, the exercise descriptions are EXCELLENT. There is at least one pic of each exercise being performed, as well. The softcover version will run you about US $25.

Iron