PDA

View Full Version : Good DVD/VCD material on SPM ?

Xian
04-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey I am more and more interested in Southern Praying Mantis especial trough Jooklum Videos I saw on youtube but here in Germany are very few schools of it.
Especially no one in my area.
But nevertheless I want to know a little on it experience some basics, practice them and so on. I know its always better to have a teacher but by know I only focus on getting some insights on it.

What do you think on this DVD ?

http://www.southernprayingmantis.com/vmchk/training-media/instructional-dvd-volumes-1-2.html

Or do you have other suggestions for DVDs or VCDs ?

Kind regards,
Xian

sanjuro_ronin
04-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Hey I am more and more interested in Southern Praying Mantis especial trough Jooklum Videos I saw on youtube but here in Germany are very few schools of it.
Especially no one in my area.
But nevertheless I want to know a little on it experience some basics, practice them and so on. I know its always better to have a teacher but by know I only focus on getting some insights on it.

What do you think on this DVD ?

http://www.southernprayingmantis.com/vmchk/training-media/instructional-dvd-volumes-1-2.html

Or do you have other suggestions for DVDs or VCDs ?

Kind regards,
Xian

That is THE DVD to get in regards to Jook loom SPM, that is GM Mark of course.
If you are interested in Chow Gar then Paul Withrod's are the way to go.
All that said, SPM is NOT the type of system you can get from a dvd, sorry.
A dvd may help you decide if you are truly interested in it, but you can't learn it from a dvd UNLESS and IF ( and these are pretty big unless's and if's), you have SOME experience in "hakka" or southern short hand systems.

I think there is a SPM school in Germany, Chow gar I think.

Anyways, the DVD is a great one to have BUT not for learning purposes.
Sorry.

Xian
04-10-2012, 03:15 PM
A dvd may help you decide if you are truly interested in it, but you can't learn it from a dvd

Yep thats my intention. Because everytime I imitate some of those movements it feels so natural to me and I want to understand why this is so.

UNLESS and IF ( and these are pretty big unless's and if's), you have SOME experience in "hakka" or southern short hand systems.

I practice Siu Lam Weng Chun for some years now, I also have practice Yip Man Wing Chun for some years.Also I have experience in some Northern styles.

I think there is a SPM school in Germany, Chow gar I think.

Hm is it possible to explain difference in Chow Gar and Jook Lum in a few sentences ?

Kind regards,
Xian

TenTigers
04-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Lam's Jook Lum is a different animal than HK JLSPM (Wong Yuk-Gong lineage), which in my eyes, shares more with Chow Gar, which is a bit harder, springier, as opposed to softer, snakier.
Now, as I said, this is only my opinion, and is based on my limited knowledge and experience.
(there...I think I've sufficiently covered my assets...):rolleyes:

TenTigers
04-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Hey Xian-why are you advertising for Falun Gong..?:eek:

HungKuenH
04-10-2012, 11:44 PM
the chow gar in germany is not spm

sanjuro_ronin
04-11-2012, 05:23 AM

Oh? what is it then?

charp choi
04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Paul Whitrod's dvd's are very good. Filmed a while ago and transfers from vhs they contain a lot of detailed information.

I have most of them. :)

charp choi
04-11-2012, 11:37 AM

there is Jow (Chow) Ga which is a Hung Kueny type system.

Also check here:

http://www.chowgarsouthernmantis.com/german.php

Contact the UK site for contact details.

sanjuro_ronin
04-11-2012, 11:59 AM
there is Jow (Chow) Ga which is a Hung Kueny type system.

Also check here:

Contact the UK site for contact details.

I think there is also another one too...can't recall if it was chow gar too or Chu gar...

CFT
04-12-2012, 02:44 AM
Is that the Jow Ga that is known as "Hung tau Choy mei" (Hung Gar 'head', Choy Gar 'tail')?

Dale Dugas
04-12-2012, 02:44 PM
I have been exposed to South Mantis and love the system.

Nothing against Shifu Marks tapes, but they are rather slim when it comes to any explanation etc.

Shifu Roger Hagood, has a great series out that you can learn a lot from.

You still need to train with a teacher, but you can get a great foundation of the stances, hands, structure from the DVDs he produces.

http://www.chinamantis.com/mantis-instructional-dvds.htm

HungKuenH
04-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Is that the Jow Ga that is known as "Hung tau Choy mei" (Hung Gar 'head', Choy Gar 'tail')?

yes,thats the rather known chow gar in germany...

the spm chow chow gar sometimes spelled chu gar is pretty rare in germany.. i actually dont know about a school...

sanjuro_ronin
04-13-2012, 05:24 AM

the spm chow chow gar sometimes spelled chu gar is pretty rare in germany.. i actually dont know about a school...

Chow Gar and CHU Gar are NOT the same SPM.

Frost
04-13-2012, 05:37 AM
Chow Gar and CHU Gar are NOT the same SPM.

really, i had heard that Ip Sui changed the name to chow gar because he wasnt hakka, but they were the same art?

Of course Mantis history is so...umm...Convoluted ..its hard to judge

sanjuro_ronin
04-13-2012, 05:51 AM
really, i had heard that Ip Sui changed the name to chow gar because he wasnt hakka, but they were the same art?

Of course Mantis history is so...umm...Convoluted ..its hard to judge

Politics aside, the forms are not the same and the why the jings are "expressed" are not the same.
Which is fine since systems like SPM are what they are based on who the GM of that line is doing at the time.
Sound familiar?

Dale Dugas
04-13-2012, 06:07 AM
Shifu Hagood has been living in China for the past decade meeting with all the seniors of many of the different pai of South Mantis that exist.

Chu Gar Tong Long Pai

Chow Gar Tong Long Pai

Tit Ngau Pai(Iron Ox Mantis)

Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai

The systems are known for few forms but tons of drills to create the ability to use what they train.

The forms are trained the same way you will use them.

for more information about the major SPM systems visit:
http://www.chinamantis.com

sanjuro_ronin
04-13-2012, 06:24 AM
I think that Mr. Hagood, while controversial, has indeed done an excellent job in regards to the history of SPM.
That said, verbal history is and always will be controversial.
In the end, martial wise, it is all irrelevant.
How effective ANY system is depends SOLELY on the individuals using it.

Dale Dugas
04-13-2012, 06:35 AM
Shifu Hagood has connections with all the SPM masters in China as well as Hong Kong.

He also teaches people how to use SPM, he is a gifted teacher and can transmit his information as well as use it.

Politics suck, and people can say anything, all that matters is who is still standing after crossing hands.

Frost
04-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Politics aside, the forms are not the same and the why the jings are "expressed" are not the same.
Which is fine since systems like SPM are what they are based on who the GM of that line is doing at the time.
Sound familiar?

nice way of putting it, i just wish sometimes instead of claiming a history that is at best cloudy teachers would simply say this is my expression of fighting, it works for me and stands on its own merits

Dale Dugas
04-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Lineage and history do not help anyone fight better, have better material etc...

the only thing that matters is can you use your material and make it work for you.

if you cannot, then why are you wasting your time doing something that does not work.

SPM is a different model in that no matter Chu or Chow or Jook, what you are going to get is a system that trains likes it fights, no forms for belts and then forgotten.

less forms and more concepts and training is always better in my book.

Again contact Shifu Hagood if you are serious about contacting the various SPM teachers in China, Hong Kong or the USA.

sanjuro_ronin
04-13-2012, 06:50 AM
nice way of putting it, i just wish sometimes instead of claiming a history that is at best cloudy teachers would simply say this is my expression of fighting, it works for me and stands on its own merits

I recall when I first took up SOM and asked my Sifu about the lineage and he simply said that it comes from the SPM lineage he learned in Macao.
BUT he said, what is HIS SPM is NOT the SPM that was HIS sifu and MY SPM will not be HIS either.
It will be mine, shaped by what I bring to it, what I get out of it and WHO I am.

Dale Dugas
04-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Paul,

Spot on as usual.

One should always take the concepts learned and adapt them to ones mental as well as physical structure.

It then becomes yours

sanjuro_ronin
04-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Paul,

Spot on as usual.

One should always take the concepts learned and adapt them to ones mental as well as physical structure.

It then becomes yours

Thanks Dale, but if we all did that and accepted that then we'd never have anything to argue about, LOL !
:D

I will never be a "lineage" holder in ANY TCMA, nor do I want to be or look to be.
I have no idea why anyone would put stock in that ( lineage) anyways.
I have seen far too many "*******s" fight far better than the "legit" ones.
I have come to realize that the MA, ANY MA, is a living and breathing thing that if it doesn't grow and evolve and adapt, will die.
And it will be the fault of those that let it die because they are not good enough to make it their own and prefer to live under the shadow of someone that DID make it their own.

charp choi
04-14-2012, 02:33 PM

see here, Frank: