PDA

View Full Version : 52 year old starting out

johnvic
04-15-2012, 08:13 AM
As the title says I am 52 years old. My knees have not been great and my flexibility is bad. I had a minor surgery 2 years ago, orthroscopic surgery on my right knee for a torn meniscus. I need to improve my health! I look 10 years younger than i am but feel 20 years older. I would like to take up a Chinese Martial Art, it's been a back burner thing for many years and it would be good for body and mind. So which CMA?

When I first thought of improving my health I thought of Chi Gung. I figured it would be good for overall health, body aches, energy level, etc. but then I thought, why not take up a proper CMA. Tai Chi Chuan seems like a good choice and I live in NYC, so William CC Chen seems like a good choice because he teaches the martial art aspect. But am I missing out on other styles? Is Wing Chun good for an older guy trying to improve his health? I think that Hung Gar may be a bit too "hard style".

Opinions are most welcome. Also suggestions on reading material is good too.

JamesC
04-15-2012, 08:39 AM
I would think that some low impact exercise like tai chi would be good to start, but you aren't THAT old. Also, someone correct me if i'm wrong please, but doesn't William Chen have some Sanda in his school as well?

If you supplement it with some basic barbell weight training, I think you'll surprise yourself. Just remember to start slow and to pay a lot of attention to recovery.

If you have rest days, make sure they are actually rest days.

bawang
04-15-2012, 09:20 AM
he just said he got bad knees, and you tell him to lift weights.

do some taichi for health.

mawali
04-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Are you cleared by your family physician to engage in low intensity activity like walking? Simple, start small and even qigong like baduanjin as a stretching routine.

Any contraindications to any physical activity? I would not do taijiquan until some level of aerobic activity has been in effect for (I am guessing here) about 2 months. The twisting, turning, etc of taijiqun may (has the potential to aggravte joints+you just had surgery) not be good at this time. What does the doctor say?

JamesC
04-15-2012, 02:58 PM
he just said he got bad knees, and you tell him to lift weights.

do some taichi for health.

Yeah. And?

How do you think you make those bad knees not bad knees? You strengthen them.

taai gihk yahn
04-15-2012, 04:48 PM
As the title says I am 52 years old. My knees have not been great and my flexibility is bad. I had a minor surgery 2 years ago, orthroscopic surgery on my right knee for a torn meniscus. I need to improve my health! I look 10 years younger than i am but feel 20 years older. I would like to take up a Chinese Martial Art, it's been a back burner thing for many years and it would be good for body and mind. So which CMA?

When I first thought of improving my health I thought of Chi Gung. I figured it would be good for overall health, body aches, energy level, etc. but then I thought, why not take up a proper CMA. Tai Chi Chuan seems like a good choice and I live in NYC, so William CC Chen seems like a good choice because he teaches the martial art aspect. But am I missing out on other styles? Is Wing Chun good for an older guy trying to improve his health? I think that Hung Gar may be a bit too "hard style".

Opinions are most welcome. Also suggestions on reading material is good too.

if you r interested in health, u will not find better qigong than here, IMPO; as far as the taiji taught, it's not martially oriented, but from a health practice perspective, it is a highly refined version that will serve any practitioner well
www.qigongtherapy.com

Williams Chen's taiji is martially oriented, but I wouldn't recommend it for health per se (if u visit him, check his spinal alignment from the side...)

another NYC internal art is Sifu Sam Chin's I Liq Quan, which is also very high-level in terms of hands-on skill - he does some taiji-like forms, but the basis of his system is hakka art;

johnvic
04-15-2012, 04:51 PM
My doctor has okayed me for exercise, even running on a treadmill, although marathons are out of the question. I do walk a lot and weight lifting is okayed, but I have not done any in years.

Lee Chiang Po
04-15-2012, 08:24 PM
you need to work with diet, get yourself a total gym like Chuck Norris uses, and find a good Wing Chun teacher. You won't have to injure yourself further doing that. I am 67 years old, but am still quite active and flexable, and that is the extent of my training activities. Except that I no longer train Wing Chun. One can only get so good.
Wing Chun is easier to learn because you don't have to be quite as physical. And once you learn it you can still use it when you are 80.

xinyidizi
04-16-2012, 04:50 AM
Until your kua(hip?) opens up and your muscles get strong enough Taiji (and probably many other styles) would put too much pressure on your knees but I guess you can ask your instructor to let you stand higher than the other students. Anyway I think doing some qigong before starting taiji is a good idea, but don't stand too low.

TaichiMantis
04-16-2012, 08:26 AM
I am 52 and had ACL reconstructive surgery 2 years ago. I do tai chi and praying mantis as taught to my Sifu by Chiu Chuk Kai. I am easing up on the Kung fu after starting at age 43. My doctor was amazed at how fast I regained my strength after surgery. It was due to tai chi and my Sifu working on my knee,keeping the swelling down. I am lucky that Sify Ly teaches the martial aspects of tai chi and knows the TCM side of his martial arts. We also do many qigong exercises for our class warm up.

good luck in your quest! ;)

TaichiMantis
04-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Dr. Nan Lu is in New York. One of our local hospitals teaches his qigong method for weight loss and health called The Dragon's Way. check it out! I did the program a few years back and lost 13 lbs. It is also a good primer for TCM, qigong and 5 element theory.

http://tcmworld.org/programs/dragons_way/

Scott R. Brown
04-16-2012, 11:01 AM
if you r interested in health, u will not find better qigong than here, IMPO; as far as the taiji taught, it's not martially oriented, but from a health practice perspective, it is a highly refined version that will serve any practitioner well
www.qigongtherapy.com

I have heard good things about that guy. I think his name is Sat Hon!

I know a guy that trains with him and he has a lot of good things to say about him!

If I only weren't burdened with this .50 cal sniper rifle and a long term grudge......:(

SIFU RON
04-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Johnvic you made a wise decision talking here on this forum. Their are some very wise well rounded people here. The advice they have given you is very good.

I will add chair exercises , will help well, also limit the time you spend standing and moving.

My best to you.

Ron Shewmaker

Drake
04-29-2012, 01:59 AM
No matter what, don't do anything that feels like it is irritating or worsening your knees, unless you have either a PA or other professional right there with you. I've seen more than one soldier permanently injure themselves trying to "tough it out". We had a guy who went mountain climbing with us over at a nearby mountain on a FOB in Kandahar, and he had to sit it out.

johnvic
04-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Thanks to all. I decided to check out a Tai Chi class and signed up for a month to see how it goes.

I think I may have created a false impression about my knees. I had a torn menuscus 2 years ago and had minor sugary. I didn't get back to exercise afterwards, which was stupid. I'm getting arthritis in my knees. Also, I work an overnight shift and end up taking cat naps in a chair, which seems to aggrivate my knees. My concern is if a harder style would be tough on the knees, also low stances.

But I think Tai Chi all be good for the body and mind. I seem to be the youngest student at the 2 classes I took, lolz.

SteveLau
04-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Johnvic,

Hello,

According to your words, it looks like your poor physical condition is largely due to insufficient exercises. If your reason to take up CMA is to improve your health, then internal work system will be good for you. Also, southern styles generally exert more energy, and thus require stronger physique of the student than northen styles. Another point that I would like to mention, though Tai Chi employs mainly soft techniques, the students fight as fiercely as other stylists when they spar. So you need to ask yourself how far do you want to go (to what level) before you make the decision.

KC
Hong Kong

Reginald
05-01-2012, 01:17 AM
I would not do taichung until some stage of cardiac exercise action has been in impact for (I am wondering here) about 2 several weeks. The rotating, converting, etc of Taichung may (has the prospective to aggravate joints+you just had surgery) not be excellent presently. What does the physician say?