PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Glove, MMA Glove, Bare Hands...

k gledhill
04-22-2012, 10:17 PM
What allows more force exchange ?....clip (http://youtu.be/wRmOOWPTRBs)

I have seen guys I hit in real fights slide on their arse 6-7 ft using VT straight line of force, barehanded always ;) I use mma gloves for drilling so I don't break the students.

Frost
04-23-2012, 01:36 AM
What allows more force exchange ?....clip (http://youtu.be/wRmOOWPTRBs)

I have seen guys I hit in real fights slide on their arse 6-7 ft using VT straight line of force, barehanded always ;) I use mma gloves for drilling so I don't break the students.

of course you do your so nice to your students :)

you hit harder with gloves period, MMA gloves cause more damage than boxign gloves bacuse they offer protection to the hand without offering much cushioning to the opponent, knockouts in MMA started to happen when MMA gloves were added because people found they could hit harder without damage

wingchunIan
04-23-2012, 02:01 AM
of course you do your so nice to your students :)

you hit harder with gloves period, MMA gloves cause more damage than boxign gloves bacuse they offer protection to the hand without offering much cushioning to the opponent, knockouts in MMA started to happen when MMA gloves were added because people found they could hit harder without damage
Disagree, the reason gloves had such a big impact on MMA was that they allowed strikers to hit repeatedly without hurting their hands, mainly due to the fact that most strikers in MMA are from boxing and MT backgrounds and don't condition their hands. I use 14oz sparring gloves for novice students to allow them to attack with ful intent. More senior students use MMA gloves, the most senior students can go full on without gloves if they wish but few choose to train this way beyond simple attack and defend because of the potential for serious injury. The amount of damage done by a strike with a big puff ball of a glove is minimal compared to the MMA gloves which again increases when the gloves are taken off altogether. If you've never conditioned your hands or don't form a proper fist then you can expect to only throw one or two shots especially if you are catching the top of the head. If you condition your hands and line up the bones correctly then you can go full power repeatedly. Ultimately I deliver the same amount of power in my puches whether there is a glove on my hand or not as my punching power doesn't change. The only difference is whether there is a padding in place to disperse some of the impact or not. At the same speed and weight would you rather be hit by a foam mallet or a steel hammer?

Frost
04-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Disagree, the reason gloves had such a big impact on MMA was that they allowed strikers to hit repeatedly without hurting their hands, mainly due to the fact that most strikers in MMA are from boxing and MT backgrounds and don't condition their hands. I use 14oz sparring gloves for novice students to allow them to attack with ful intent. More senior students use MMA gloves, the most senior students can go full on without gloves if they wish but few choose to train this way beyond simple attack and defend because of the potential for serious injury. The amount of damage done by a strike with a big puff ball of a glove is minimal compared to the MMA gloves which again increases when the gloves are taken off altogether. If you've never conditioned your hands or don't form a proper fist then you can expect to only throw one or two shots especially if you are catching the top of the head. If you condition your hands and line up the bones correctly then you can go full power repeatedly. Ultimately I deliver the same amount of power in my puches whether there is a glove on my hand or not as my punching power doesn't change. The only difference is whether there is a padding in place to disperse some of the impact or not. At the same speed and weight would you rather be hit by a foam mallet or a steel hammer?
Umm isn’t that what I said, the protection allowed them to hit harder and more often?
The early UFC has karate, kung fu, ninjistsu and so on taking part, most had I guess done some hand conditioning so had a lot of the Jamapense guys coming from a kbockdown karate background, still only really started to see knockouts on a regular basuis when gloves where used? It’s the same reason old boxing matches used to last for hours, and irish bare knuckle matches still go on for hours as well, even though they condition their hands
its hard to align the joints properly when someone is trying to take your head off, and easy to hurt your hands if you miss, gloves provide much more protection which I turn always you to hit harder
the fact is knockouts rates increase when MMA gloves are added to the equation, and no one seems to be able to post clips of themselves knocking people out without gloves on on a regular basis

wingchunIan
04-23-2012, 03:17 AM
Umm isn’t that what I said, the protection allowed them to hit harder and more often?
The early UFC has karate, kung fu, ninjistsu and so on taking part, most had I guess done some hand conditioning so had a lot of the Jamapense guys coming from a kbockdown karate background, still only really started to see knockouts on a regular basuis when gloves where used? It’s the same reason old boxing matches used to last for hours, and irish bare knuckle matches still go on for hours as well, even though they condition their hands
its hard to align the joints properly when someone is trying to take your head off, and easy to hurt your hands if you miss, gloves provide much more protection which I turn always you to hit harder
the fact is knockouts rates increase when MMA gloves are added to the equation, and no one seems to be able to post clips of themselves knocking people out without gloves on on a regular basis

you really expect people to post clips of themselves knocking people out without gloves on????

Frost
04-23-2012, 03:44 AM
you really expect people to post clips of themselves knocking people out without gloves on????

Why not there are plenty of clips of people knocking each other out wearing gloves, if you train both with and without and spar both with and without why is it so hard to post clips of said happening?
Or they can just post clips of bare hand comps with lots of knockouts, bare hand comps still happen in Brazil, eastern Europe etc,

k gledhill
04-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Bare hands, knuckles and palm strikes, need conditioning and alignment. You do hit harder without gloves , no absorption of force. An un-gloved hand can slip easier into the neck strikes under the chin too.
Having an open hand option to hitting the head removes the knuckle damage, delivering stunning shots. We combine take-down defense with open hand head shots to both push the head off and hit it too.