PDA

View Full Version : ˇWing Chun in Japan!

T.Panda
04-24-2012, 01:45 AM
I'm TPanda from the US, currently residing in Tokyo, Japan.
http://brianh608.wix.com/wingchunjapan
I am a practitioner of Wing Chun, meditation, and studying Traditional Chinese Science.

I'd just like to know if there are any people out here in Japan and your thoughts about Wing Chuns future in Japan, as it seemed to have proliferated quite well through out the world already.

Panda

LoneTiger108
04-24-2012, 03:34 AM
I met one of Jiu Wans students who was based in Japan about 10 years back so keep a look-out (may write it as Chiu Van) Film star Ti Lung introduced us!

The guy furthest to the right was a 'live-in' student

http://www.y-y-a.co.uk/db_Hong_Kong1011.jpg

From what I have seen from Japan, they have a very structured (Wing Chun ) Yongchunquan Wushu style of learning. But let us know how you get on...

T.Panda
04-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks Spencer!
Very interesting to know about your friend. I'll keep a look out :)

Gowgee
04-25-2012, 06:10 AM
Hi Panda,

There are a few wing chun groups in the Tokyo area.

First, our forum's very own Mr Punch trains with a group of experienced wing chun guys.
Then there is Chien's wing chun - a student of Lo Kam Wing - (www.chienwingchun.com), the EBMAS group (www.ebmas-tokyo.com) and this school (www.wingchun.si), and well as the huge JKD following over here.

Just out of interest, what's traditional Chinese science?

T.Panda
04-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi Gowgee,

Traditional Chinese Science has a lot of its roots from Buddhism and Taoism. I believe that the greatest technology in our existence is our own body, and not computers, internet, etc.

Chinese Science is a very deep study of the empirical energies that are interconnected in all things and happenings, whether it be in kung fu, diet, business, health, weather, physics etc.

In practice, I do zhan zhuang, or standing meditation to build energy in my body. With practice, the frequency that I can operate on changes and the 'human antennae' becomes more receptive of emotion, change, communication.

I started with Wing Chun, and after 2 years of practice, I realized that my Wing Chun is mostly groundless as I have not proficiency of my own energy/6 directional forces/qi. So when most people argue that WC works or doesn't work, they are both right. It depends on the engine/foundation that is driving the Wing Chun. This is what ignited my interest in Chinese Science, yi jing, 5 elements, meditation etc. Though my understanding may seem satisfactory, in practice I'm still just a few steps up from being a noob.

Phil Redmond
04-30-2012, 04:08 AM
Hi all. I'm TPanda from the US, currently residing in Tokyo, Japan.
I am a practitioner of TWC, meditation, and studying Traditional Chinese Science.

I'd just like to know if there are any people out here in Japan and your thoughts about Wing Chuns future in Japan, as it seemed to have proliferated quite well through out the world already.

Panda
There are two TWC people with classes in Japan. One is from Hong Kong and one from the States. I'l get back to you with their info.

Phil Redmond
04-30-2012, 06:01 AM
TWC Sifu Freddy Wong in Toyko. http://ewingchun.com/sifus/freddy-wong

Phil Redmond
04-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Freddy Wong 黄明

Address:南小岩コミュニティ会館江戸川区every Sunday 9:00am-11:00am also available on the afternoon classes(by booking in advance call +81 08067693060)
First trial lesson were free of charge(booking in advance as about info)
Monthly/jpy 10000 for beginner 20000 for intermediate 30000 for advance.

T.Panda
04-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Thank you sigung Redmond!

Actually, you might know me through facebook. I'm currently training with Ki
(from Sigung Parlati's kwoon) in Tokyo.

I'm on these forums to maintain a presence of Wing Chun (namely TWC) for Japan since I am optimistic about Wing Chun's future here.

LoneTiger108
04-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks Spencer!
Very interesting to know about your friend. I'll keep a look out :)

No problem, but I only met this guy once so 'friend' is a little too much lol!!

I will tell you something interesting though, although I remember chatting with him all night and him mentioning Jiu Wan as one of his teachers Sifus, the guy in one of your links actually looks very like the gent in question!! Even one of the revolving pics looks like my 'friend' there interacting with him...

Chien's Wing Chun - a student of Lo Man Kam - www.chienwingchun.com

It states that LMK was his only Sifu, so maybe my memory is total crap or I misunderstood with all the excitement of meeting Ti Lung!!! :(

Phil Redmond
04-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Thank you sigung Redmond!

Actually, you might know me through facebook. I'm currently training with Ki
(from Sigung Parlati's kwoon) in Tokyo.

I'm on these forums to maintain a presence of Wing Chun (namely TWC) for Japan since I am optimistic about Wing Chun's future here.
Nice to meet you. Could you tell me who you are on FB? Either here or in a private message?

T.Panda
04-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Hi everyone out there. I just want to send another signal out to people in Japan who may be interested or is already practicing Wing Chun.
The classes held by Sifu Ki in Tokyo have been going quite strong though we are still quite under the radar.

A BIONIC LEG
04-15-2013, 01:24 AM
I'm new(ish) to Wing Chun, but what caught my attention was your thread. I acctually live down in Okinawa and found out recently that there is a Wing Chun comunity down here as well! I know of one instructor that claims he studied in China for a few years (can't remember his Sifu's name sorry) and moved here to teach. If I were to find out who he trained under could someone let me know the validity of what he says? I did visit a class to do some "recon" and from what I could tell he did seem to be on point.

T.Panda
04-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Hi there!
I'm glad that my ping out into the net got a reply!
It's hard to come by a wing Chun brother or wing Chun curious person in Japan. I'm not one to judge what is taught by others even if I were a master. I would try learning from him and feel if its right.

If you want to know what principles to be considering as a WC practitioner , then we can talk about the common principles and creative ways to apply them as your own.

Panda

A BIONIC LEG
04-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks, I appreciate that. He did answer some questions I had in the back of my mind, without me even asking, so that was a plus. I do fully intend to study however his school is a bit of a ways from home.

T.Panda
08-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone,
I want to reach out again for any one searching on the web for Wing Chun in Tokyo.
There are very few schools in Tokyo as I know of. I'm learning "Traditional Wing Chun" from the lineage of William Cheung, Bruce Lee's childhood friend.

今度、日本語でポストしましょう。
皆さんこんにちは!ネットで詠春拳を検索してる方はいらしゃいますか?
詠春拳教えてる場所は少ないので、ご興味を持つ方は是非連絡どうぞ。
JPiston608@gmail.com

自分今通ってる詠春拳の道場だけではなく、他の自分に合いそうな道場、幅広く話せます!

Gowgee
08-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Hi everyone,
I want to reach out again for any one searching on the web for Wing Chun in Tokyo.
There are very few schools in Tokyo as I know of. I'm learning "Traditional Wing Chun" from the lineage of William Cheung, Bruce Lee's childhood friend.

今度、日本語でポストしましょう。
JPiston608@gmail.com

T. Panda,

If you want to promote your training group to English speakers in Tokyo, the Kungfu Magazine forum is probably one of the best places to post. You can also try the Metropolis Magazine (metropolis.co.jp)- set up a free training advertisement there in their classified ads section.

Few Japanese martial artists probably realize what a long history English speaking martial artists have with Chinese martial arts, including Wing Chun. On top of that, few read English to a good enough standard to benefit from or even know about the existence of forums like this. You could advertise on 2ch.net or send a free training advertisement to Hiden martial arts magazine (www.bab.co.jp/hiden)- a monthly publication.

All the best with your training.

lance
08-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Hi all. I'm TPanda from the US, currently residing in Tokyo, Japan.
I am a practitioner of TWC, meditation, and studying Traditional Chinese Science.

Panda Go for it , I ' m sure young energetic japanese girls would like to learn WC , and find the difference between WC and karate . TPanda , let me guess are you certified WC Sifu in the Cheung Wing Chun lineage of WC ?

T.Panda
08-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Hello all!

Lance, I'm a student of Wing Chun training under a certified instructor in the Traditional Wing Chun system. I've seen girls with full make up on practicing martial arts in Japan.
Training does get a bit intense though... I've gone through days of training where I was so tired that I was breathing through my ears.

Thanks Gowgee for your advice. My sifu may give it a try.

Thanks

T.Panda
09-06-2013, 08:50 AM
http://kimartialartsstudio800.blogspot.jp/

Here is a rough blog of Traditional Wing Chun instructor Ki Innis in Tokyo. A more polished version of the website will be updated shortly!

T.Panda
01-16-2014, 08:56 PM
In my continuous effort to raise awareness of Wing Chun in Japan, websites have been made for the 2 Traditional Wing Chun sifus residing and teaching in Tokyo, Japan.
Please see below. There is still improvement to be made and I hope to get unique domain names in the near future:

There are a few other Wing Chun schools in Tokyo. Since I am promoting Wing Chun as a whole, I encourage you to research the school that you think best fits you.
Visit the classes and see for yourself if the training environment and curriculum fits you.
There is no "best" when it comes to a training system for Wing Chun, there is only "what works for YOU".

詠春拳にご興味持ってる方は下記のウエブサイトご覧ください。
私は詠春拳を幅広く、全体的に日本に広げたいと思ってますので、興味を持ってる方に合う先生を選ぶためにそ れぞれの道場と先生を調べてそして体験レッスンを取った方がいいと思います。
流派や練習の仕方はベストがない。ベストは自分の目的と性格に合う道場なんです。

Wing Chun Japan, Wing Chun Tokyo, Ving Tsun Japan, Wing Tsun Japan

Sifu Ki Innis (originally from New York City, student of Master Victor Parlati)
http://brianh608.wix.com/wingchunjapan

Sifu Freddy Wong (originally from Hong Kong, student of Grandmaster William Cheung)
http://brianh608.wix.com/twcjapan

T.Panda
03-22-2015, 08:50 AM
Hi everyone,

今度、日本語でポストしましょう。

Please email my kung fu brother Walter regarding classes with Sifu Ki Innis from New York City. He is teaching in Takadanobaba, which is not far from Shinjuku station.

Walt7800@gmail.com

OkinawaWingChun
11-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Just adding to this thread for future reference. There's an Applied Wing Chun Group on Okinawa. They're the oldest Wing Chun School/Club on the island. They train 3 times a week. Classes are free right now, but the training is legit. The instructor can be reached at dnkblue@gmail.com.

Applied Wing Chun Okinawa Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AppliedWingChunOkinawa

boxerbilly
11-27-2015, 07:18 AM
Just adding to this thread for future reference. There's an Applied Wing Chun Group on Okinawa. They're the oldest Wing Chun School/Club on the island. They train 3 times a week. Classes are free right now, but the training is legit. The instructor can be reached at dnkblue@gmail.com.

Applied Wing Chun San Diego and Okinawa Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AppliedWingChunSanDiego

Website: http://www.appliedwcsd.com/applied-wing-chun-okinawa.html

Cool man. How well receipted is WC on Okinawa ? Is it mainly American servicemen or do locals attend classes as well ?

OkinawaWingChun
01-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Cool man. How well receipted is WC on Okinawa ? Is it mainly American servicemen or do locals attend classes as well ?

Hey boxer, the Facebook and website have been updated:

Applied Wing Chun Okinawa Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AppliedWingChunOkinawa

With regards to your question, I believe it is mostly received with foreigners (American and others). The locals seem to be more interested in either traditional Japanese martial arts or MMA.

boxerbilly
01-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Hey boxer, the Facebook and website have been updated:

With regards to your question, I believe it is mostly received with foreigners (American and others). The locals seem to be more interested in either traditional Japanese martial arts or MMA.

Well that is okay too. Marines .

T.Panda
03-04-2016, 07:27 AM
Hi again!

This is my annual post to raise more awareness of Wing Chun in Tokyo.

Sifu Freddy Wong has a new domain name www.TWCJapan.com

T.Panda
12-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Thanks to the efforts of Wing Chun enthusiasts, Wing Chun has grown in popularity in Tokyo as seen by the significant growth of students in the few existing Wing Chun schools.

In celebration, a website will be made and dedicated to a NEW practice group. A neutral ground for all Wing Chun practitioners to come together and hone their skills regardless of lineage. Everybody is welcome to come learn, test their skill, chi sao and spar!

The website will be using the domain name TWCJapan.com
Sifu Freddy Wong's website will use another domain name starting in 2017. :rolleyes: