PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify these pictures...

TopCrusader
04-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Hello! Was curious if anybody could tell me the origins of these pictures such as what book they are from & the author, etc.

In the last picture with weapon drawings, I was wondering the origins of the martial artists in white clothing on the left hand side.

THANKS!!

mickey
05-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Greetings,

The person in white with the words "stick play" under it is Yu Hai. He is Mainland China mantis exponent who starred in the Shaolin Temple movies.

mickey

mickey
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
TopCrusader,

It appears from your previous posts that you are looking at what I call "virgin territory" in the life of Bruce Lee. That would be his traditional phase. There is not much info about it. Your best source would be Maha Guru Inosanto.

In the book on Wing Chun Kung FU (which he wrote), he shared an intention to bring forth a book that would feature some of the traditional styles he had been exposed to. I thought the Tuttle version of Tao of Gung Fu featured the material he was collecting.

Have you seen the book "The Secret Art of Bruce Lee"? This was put out by the guys who did the Kung Fu Monthly poster/fold out/magazine. It features the Chester Maydole photos and captures Bruce Lee during his traditional phase. I still enjoy those photos more that any other except the ones he did for Shaw Brothers. If you do not have this, I suggest you check it out. You can find a copy at e bay for around ten bucks.

mickey

Tainan Mantis
05-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Bottom picture is Seven Star Mantis Master Wong Hanfun (Huang Hanxun) of HK.
He is holding thre section, double saber and saber as well as chopping at his student in one picture.
As I recall he was mentioned by name in one of BL's books, probably that one you have there.

mickey
05-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Greetings,

Most from the book I mentioned are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T0x8YASrPc&list=UU9WivhI5ZY593Pb9K5ZU8DQ&index=32&feature=plcp

mickey

IronFist
05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7002&stc=1&d=1335837965

I've seen that one before, in color I think.

Is she jumping or falling? I'm curious if she's about to be in a lot of pain when she lands like that.

Brule
05-08-2012, 01:03 PM
I've seen that one before, in color I think.

Is she jumping or falling? I'm curious if she's about to be in a lot of pain when she lands like that.

She won't feel pain since she's been practising tai chi since 9yrs old and has built up her chi to the point where her tendons are supple and she can project it to where it needs to be in order to prevent injuries and pain.

Lucas
05-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Is she jumping or falling?

cant you tell from the picture man? shes levitating DUH

IronFist
05-08-2012, 03:02 PM
She won't feel pain since she's been practising tai chi since 9yrs old and has built up her chi to the point where her tendons are supple and she can project it to where it needs to be in order to prevent injuries and pain.

That makes sense!

ShaolinDan
05-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Actually she's about to turn upside down and spin, like Chun Li.

TopCrusader
05-10-2012, 06:29 AM
The guy in white with the girl I think is Cai Long Yun /Cai Longyun. Not sure who the girl is. Thanks for the responses everybody!

mickey
05-10-2012, 12:36 PM
TopCrusader,

The guy in the first photo in white is the late Tung Songyi. Tim Cartmell recently translated his book on Chinese Wrestling. His students include Liu Fei and David Chow (who choreographed the pilot "Kung Fu"). He was one tall dude.

mickey