PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding weight.

Celestial Amiboshi
08-22-2001, 07:44 PM
I started with Kung fu six months ago, today, and have lost approximately 36 pounds. This week, I have noticed that my weigh if beginning to fluctuate. I've been at the 190 mark for about 3 weeks now. I weighed 190 on 8/20. On 8/21 I weighed 188, on 8/22, 186. But today, I weigh 190.5! My diet has remained constant and so has my activity level and I don't know what's going on here. Is is possible to gain back 4.5 pounds in a day?

"So close to God, there is talk of a Holy Quadrant."

Nexus
08-22-2001, 07:54 PM
Your weight is beginning to stabilize and regain its balance. Yes it is possible, obviously you are given proof of its possibility. It of course is nothing to worry about. Some days I have weighed 165, other days 170, other days 155. I don't weigh every day, don't really have a reason to though.

If you feel good, and the difference in days is only a few pounds there is nothing to worry about IMO.

- Nexus

<font size="1">"Time, space, the whole universe - just an illusion! Often said, philosophically verifiable, even scientifically explainable. It's the <font color="blue">'just'</font> which makes the honest mind go crazy and the <font color="blue">ego</font> go berserk." - Hans Taeger</font>

Fu-Pow
08-22-2001, 07:56 PM
Hey, good for you Celestial!! Keep it up!!!!

Fu-Pow

http://www.fongs-kungfu.de/assets/images/lionhead.gif

"Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu does not encourage its students to abuse or harm others with no reason. Nevertheless, in times when Kung Fu must be performed, Choy Lay Fut requires the student to change from a gentleman into a fierce and cold fighter."

-Lee Koon Hung,
CLF:The Dynamic Art of Fighting

Sharky
08-22-2001, 09:10 PM
take a dump

================================================== =
The battle started with a grapple, he had real long hair so a grabbed a hand full, and chopped 'em in the Adams-apple, his partner in back of you tried to attack you, so I'ma twist 'em up like a pret-zel then I'ma tag you/I can't believe he wanna grapple again, I swung 'em around like I was dancing wit 'em, put his arms in back of his head and snapped 'em again, I fractured his limbs and put em in the figure-"6 subtracted from 10"...

Celestial Amiboshi
08-22-2001, 09:42 PM
Thanks, but I don't see this as a huge accomplishment. My average per month weight loss is 6 pounds, which doesn't seem all that high. My goal is to reach 175 pounds, but it's frustrating to be 11 pounds away from that goal one day and then 15 pounds away the next.

Abstract
08-22-2001, 09:45 PM
yea man take a dump, guarantee you lose like 3-4 lbs....lolol..Sharky you r KILLIN me man.. :p

but for real, man, how tall r u? that's not a bad weight if you're not short.

ElPietro
08-22-2001, 10:00 PM
Are you waying yourself at the same time everyday under the same conditions? If so then it's more than likely just some water weight. Your body will retain water or not retain water based on activity level, sodium intake, etc.

6 pounds a month is fine...2 pounds a week is considered a safe amount, more than that isn't all that good, unless you are grossly out of shape then you will lose all that excess faster. If you want to lose weight a bit faster cut more calories out of your daily intake.

bearpaw
08-24-2001, 12:15 PM
Man I would give to be 180Lbs. I've lost very little weight in the year I've been going MA.

SevenStar
08-24-2001, 03:07 PM
fluctuation like that is common. Are you eating the same thing every day? drinking the same amount and the same fluids? same amount of sodium, constipated, weighing yourself at the same time every day? These can all be factors. Unless you are on a steady increase in weight, I wouldn't worry about it.

-ShortySeven&copy;
Step right up and get it -- whoever wants [defeat]

Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

Celestial Amiboshi
08-24-2001, 04:04 PM
I'm 6 feet tall. I'm not sure wether or not 186 is appropriate for my height. I weigh myself each morning, at the same time, and that's before breakfast and my diet hasn't changed. I think everything is all right now. I just weighed myself and it's back to 186.

I can't believe I lost 40 pounds in just 6 months of Kung Fu, while not changing my diet. I'm still wondering why things turned out the way they did.

SevenStar
08-25-2001, 04:27 AM
to lose weight, you need to expend more calories than you consume. By adding MA in your life you are burning extra calories, and also raising your metabolism. you apparently are now burning more than you consume. burning 2-3 pounds per week is considered safe. losing 2 pounds a week is 8lbs a month - 48 pounds in 6 months. You are in a reasonable weight loss range. Congrats on the losses man.

-ShortySeven&copy;
Step right up and get it -- whoever wants [defeat]

Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

Abstract
08-26-2001, 04:56 PM
yea 186 is good, unless you're small boned...I'm a shade under 5' 11", and weigh 202 lbs. Most of it is in my legs, and granted, 5lbs wouldn't be missed if i lost it, but it gives me 'charecter'(my excuse for being to lazy to STOP w/the chocolate chip cookies....) ;)

Budokan
08-26-2001, 08:42 PM
Losing 36 pounds is quite comendable. But did you have to sweat doing it?

If so, that's disgusting. How could you stand it?

K. Mark Hoover

mortal
08-26-2001, 11:35 PM
I lost 50 pounds since I started training 3 years ago. I also feel and look younger. Everyone that I trained with has lost weight. I guess its from all the cardio it takes to do our ballet moves. It does make it a lot easier for bone throwing.

Celestial Amiboshi
08-26-2001, 11:37 PM
Well, I could barely stand all the exercise but it's better than paying for the liposuction.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-28-2001, 06:19 PM
if you want to lose more weight get a heavy bag.

i rarely weigh myself (last time was when i was weighing the cat) but i notice my lower stomach doing crazy things. i always have a 4 pack showing but my lower abs only start showing toward the end of the week (after lots of heavy bag work on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays). but after a weekend of drinking i get a little belly in my lower stomach with the top four muscles still showing. for other reasons im going to try to not drink this weekend and i'll see if i can get those bottom abs showing through like last year. chicks dig a 6 pack.

where's my beer?