PDA

View Full Version : Feng Zhi Qiang

Vajramusti
05-06-2012, 05:05 PM
The great Feng Zhi Qiang apparently passed away on May 5?
Sad.

joy chaudhuri

Eric Olson
05-07-2012, 04:46 AM
Looks like it is true:

http://practicalmethod.com/lang/en/2012/05/my-shifu-grandmaster-feng-zhiqiang-passed-away-in-beijing-on-may-5-2012/

Rest in peace Master Feng

GeneChing
05-07-2012, 11:36 AM
訃 告 (http://www.01248.cn/)

http://www.01248.cn/fengzhuidao1.jpg

中國著名武術家、陳式太極拳一代宗師、陳式心意混元太極拳創始人馮志強先生因病醫治無效,於2012年5月 5日14時56分在北京與世長辭,享年85歲。

現定於2012年5月11日上午9時在北京八寶山殯儀館東禮堂舉行馮志強先生遺體告別儀式。

Mr. Feng Zhi-qiang, the Great Kongfu Master, the top master of Chen-style Tai Chi and the founder of Chen-style Xinyi Hunyuan Taijiquan, passed away at Beijing in the 5th, May, 14:56 by Beijing Time, with his 85 years old.

The memorial meeting for Mr. Feng will be held at the east hall of Ba Bao Shan funeral home in Beijing, 9:00AM, on Friday, the 11th of May.

北京武協陳式太極拳研究會
北京混元太極中心
北京武協志強武館
2012年5月6日
I never met FM Feng in person, but came across him many times in researching Chen style.

LaterthanNever
05-07-2012, 02:11 PM
A great Shame!

A good friend of mine studies with a disciple of Fengs' named Harrison Moretz. GM Feng was a true legend and visionary. RIP!

LTN

mickey
05-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Talk about sadness,

Each time a master goes, the bright light of TCMA gets a little dimmer. And it hurts more.

Condolences,

mickey

rett
05-08-2012, 12:18 AM
Very sad news. My taiji teacher told us last evening at class. A couple of people I've taken classes and seminars with were close students of Grandmaster Feng and they have always referred us to his 1980s clips (when they were studying with him), and his interviews and articles, as points of reference. They always speak of him in the most glowing of terms.

Here's a clip I enjoy from that period, in Tian Tan park I believe, with the Grandmaster's version of the 48 form at that time. From what I've heard this particular rendition was meant to emphasize the breathing for a student who had asked about that aspect. At this time Grandmaster Feng was on his way to developing Hunyuan style, so it's also an interesting transitional form from a historical point of view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVtO7pod5hM

Runlikehell
05-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Talk about sadness,

Each time a master goes, the bright light of TCMA gets a little dimmer. And it hurts more.

Condolences,

mickey

True words, it is up to us to carry on and make that light as bright as is possible.

R.I.P.

Eric Olson
05-08-2012, 06:52 AM
Here's a nice video of Master Feng doing some semi-freestyle push hands with his disciple Chen Xiang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olRuWYQUW48

I had the opportunity to push with both of these guys, although Master Feng only very briefly. The only thing I could really compare it to is like a loose fabric covering a metal ball. You push on the "cloth" and it gives way. Then all of a sudden you're getting hammered by the metal ball in the center (ie hips, elbows, shoulder)-- and it hurts!

EO

Eric Olson
05-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Another video of his, doing the pao chui (cannon fist):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4w_62WX9Rk

EO

jjustinmeehan
05-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Justin Meehan師父師承師祖馮志強大師

The World says goodbye to one of China's Last Dragons. Grandmaster Feng Zhiqiang (1928-2012), 84 years of age, has recently returned to the Great Tao where everything is One. He was one of the world's greatest martial artists, Qigong Masters and professors of traditional Chinese philosophy, traditional Chinese medical theory and traditional Chinese Culture. He had the great good fortune to study from two of his generation's greatest Chinese Martial Arts Masters: Chen Fake (1887-1957) the 17th generation standard bearer of Chen family Taijiquan (the original form of Taiji from which all others derived, kept secretly until recent times) and Hu Yaozhen (1879-1973) one of the leading Masters of Heart/Mind/Intention school of boxing XinYi and one of the fathers of modern Qigong.

Grandmaster Feng continued to practice his Art in secret along with his top students Zhang Xue Xin and Chen Fake's son Chen Zhaokui during the Cultural Revolution at risk of their own lives. Even though his teachers were harassed to their death during this time he managed to keep his Arts alive and deliver his treasure to our present generation. His own Art called HunYuan combined both a modified form of Chen Taijiquan with Xin Yi and Taoist Qigong and philosophy. Stories of his prowess are legendary and although he never lost a fight, he also was proud to say he never injured any of his opponents, or if he did he used his healing abilities to restore them to health.

I first studied with him in 1981 and continued to visit Beijing to study with him up until this past November 2011 at the 3rd International HunYuan Conference held in Beijing. What I remember most about him was his warmth to others and generosity to his students. He envisioned his HunYuan system as a gift from China to all mankind of the highest genius of traditional Chinese heritage and culture, no longer to be kept in secret but to be shared worldwide for the health and benefit of all people. His presence will be missed but his gift to the world will live on forever. His two leading disciples in the US include Master Zhang Xue Xin, also 84, in San Francisco and Dr. Yang Yang, the author of Taijiquan, the Art of Nurturing and the science of Power, whose scientific studies have led to the scientifically proven "evidence based" Taiji which has documented the many health benefits of Hun/Yuan Taijiquan.

Additional info, including his bio and videos of Feng Zhiqiang as well as additional resources and links are available at www.StLTaiji.com. Farewell dear teacher, we will miss you so much and will always carry your teachings and memories in our hearts as well as dedicating ourselves to the continuation of your mission to benefit all mankind through the brilliance of Chinese Culture which is the heart of your HunYuan Taijiquan/Qigong. In the words you always shared with me "Xin Go La".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------