PDA

View Full Version : Ufc® 148: Silva vs. Sonnen ii

GeneChing
05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
July 7, 2012 @ Las Vegas, NevadaMGM Grand Garden Arena

Official UFC page (http://www.ufc.com/event/UFC148#/fight)

I mention it because Cung is fighting. He faces Rich Franklin (http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Rich-Franklin)

Skill Breakdown
Charts are compiled based on results from all fights.
Total Fights: 28
Record: 28-6-0, 1NC
Summary: Excellent striking skills, good conditioning, well-rounded
Fighter Info
Nickname: Ace
Height: 6' 1" ( 185 cm )
Weight: 185 lb ( 84 kg )
College: University of Cincinnati
Degree: Mathematics

Cung's UFC stats (http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Cung-Le)

Skill Breakdown
Total Fights: 10
Record: 7-2-0
Summary: Striking, Takedowns
Fighter Info
Fights Out Of: San Jose, California USA
Height: 5' 10" ( 177 cm )

Cimaroon
05-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Going to be another tough fight. Franklin is huge at MWeight. He is a good stirker and is much better on the ground(if it goes). I just read too that Rich has been training in a gym in singapore that has Shanshou fighters. Good luck Cung!

Lucas
05-25-2012, 10:43 AM
should be an exciting fight. im hoping for a ko or tko here. hey at least both of them can beat up frank shamrock!!!

Hebrew Hammer
05-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking Sonnen and Franklin for the 'W'. I can't wait for Andersen to go down, Sonnen blew it that last fight.

Dragonzbane76
05-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Im not a silva fan. I have never liked his demeanor. But i can't deny his ability. Look at it this way. Even on his worst day (his last fight with sonnen) he still won. The man is dangerous for sure. Il. Be rooting for sonnen though. If he can keep silva on the ground i think he has a chance.

Vajramusti
05-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Cain came back well with Silva after his one single loss to Santos but could even the score on his one single loss.
He is a superb grappler but still working on his striking. He put up a rather wooden striking defense against Santos and got caught with a powerful punch when he did not even adjust his hands..
He has superb stamina and was a very very hardworking athlete when he was at Arizona State University.

joy chaudhuri

Cimaroon
05-28-2012, 09:37 AM
ON Silva/Sonnen anyone see the documentary "Like Water"? Its from the first fight, good watching. I think Sonnen suprised AS with his boxing last fight, probably not this go but Chael is easily the best wrestler AS has faced. Thats the one thing that the MW division has lacked, good wrestlers.

Dos Santos is a great boxer but he certainly dosent put the mixed in MMA.

Brule
05-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Anyone know if Cung is still on the card? If so, who will he face now?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2012/05/30/rich_franklin_vs_wanderlei_silva_ufc_147_vitor_bel fort_injury/

GeneChing
06-01-2012, 09:49 AM
It's causing a bit a stir.

June 1, 2012 at 1:00 am
Mixed martial arts fans eventually will tell UFC: Enough is enough (http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120601/OPINION03/206010302/Mixed-martial-arts-fans-eventually-will-tell-UFC-Enough-enough?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p)

Running so many shows might finally be catching up to the UFC.

When news broke Saturday following UFC 146 that middleweight Vitor Belfort broke his hand and was out of his UFC 147 main event bout with Wanderlei Silva, everybody immediately began thinking of suitable replacements.

Well, there was one problem: There wasn't anyone to fit the bill.

Finally on Wednesday, the UFC settled on former middleweight champion Rich Franklin, pulling Franklin out of his UFC 148 bout with Cung Le in the process.

The rematch between Silva and Franklin will take place June 23 in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, and will be the last of four fight cards for the UFC this month.

Here's the problem: When the fight between Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen had to be moved from 147 to 148, the stock of the card dropped drastically. Subtracting Belfort and adding Franklin, who hasn't fought since February 2011, weakens it even further.

The co-headliner, a heavyweight bout between Fabricio Werdum and unheralded Mike Russow, isn't lighting many worlds on fire and the rest of the show will feature Brazilian fighters who have little exposure in America.

Then you add in that this card is being used mainly as a backdrop for the finals and undercard of "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil," a show that won't even begin airing on American television until this month, and you have the recipe for an all-time low modern-era pay-per-view number, especially considering the following pay-per-view, 148, is highly anticipated.
MMA overload

The UFC is running four shows this month, three on FX, starting with "The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale" at 9 Friday on FX, and then two of the following three Fridays, as well. The UFC will go back-to-back nights with UFC on FX 4 in Atlantic City, N.J., and UFC 147 in Brazil.

The overflow of cards creates a serious depth issue which becomes apparent when a big-name fighter pulls out, but was even more of an issue than usual when Belfort pulled out. Every other suitable middleweight already was booked, or, in the case of Alan Belcher, was hurt. That led the UFC to move Franklin up a few weeks and make his fight with Silva a 190-pound fight, essentially robbing Peter to pay Paul.

As it stands now, it's insulting to ask the fans in the United States to pay $54.95 for a show that would compare to many of the company's offerings on FX, not to mention a show that features fighters very few American fans have seen. It's a near-certainty many fans will voice their displeasure by not ordering the pay-per-view, especially when the UFC is running two of them in July.

The UFC has to ask itself how much is too much? The company already has run 12 events this year, with four more to come this month and three in July. If you're scoring at home, that's 19 events in seven months. That's a lot for even the most ardent MMA fan. Then you add in two seasons of "The Ultimate Fighter: Live," the one just concluding and one in the fall, and you have a whole lot of UFC programming.

It's tough to say whether the company is overexposing itself quite yet, but it sure feels that way when they are presenting pay-per-views like UFC 147. It's an interesting odyssey for a company that will run nearly as many events this month (four) as it did in all of 2004 (five), the year before they hit it big.

If the quality of shows remain good, that's great for the fans. But even the best, most action-packed shows really don't mean much if nobody's watching, do they?

Matt Bishop is a radio host at BloodyElbow.com. Read his MMA column for The Detroit News, "The KO Corner," every Friday at detroitnews.com.

Brule
06-01-2012, 10:18 AM
It sounds like the UFC has signed Patrick Cote to fight Cung at that event. I can't find a source right now. Cote fought Anderson Silva a couple years back and blew out his knee. He subsequently lost a few fights and then dropped from the UFC. He has fought in smaller promotions until now when the UFC came calling for a replacement. Hopefully this goes Cung's way.

GeneChing
06-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Let's do this again now.

Cung's UFC stats (http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Cung-Le)

Skill Breakdown
Total Fights: 10
Record: 7-2-0
Summary: Striking, Takedowns
Fighter Info
Fights Out Of: San Jose, California USA
Height: 5' 10" ( 177 cm )

Cote's UFC stats (http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Patrick-Cote)

Total Fights: 15
Record: 17-7-0
Summary: KO Power, submission skills
Fighter Info
Nickname: The Predator
Fights Out Of: Montreal, Quebec Canada
Height: 5' 11" ( 180 cm )

Shaolin
06-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Who ya gonna send?
http://youtu.be/lQq6wB6-ung

Enter the Spider
http://youtu.be/tBK3RJWjfUQ

Hebrew Hammer
07-02-2012, 01:04 AM
I can't wait for this rematch...the first fight was one of the greatest UFC fights ever. Sonnen talked all that smack, no one gave him a chance, even I thought Silva was pretty unbeatable and Sonnen showed no fear and pretty mutch pulled a Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson. Total domination almost had it ended in the middle rounds and then out of no were the champ submits him in the last minute or so. Much respect for both guys.

That's one of the great things about MMA is that there is always someone who you don't match up well against or who has your number. I think Sonnen is completely in his head or all of Brazil's head for that matter...they want to hang him publicly. He has been masterful with the trash talking...to an art form.

I pray to Yahweh that he backs it up and defeats them in Rio!!! So effing epic if thats the case. Interested to see if Silva goes for the quick knock out. If Sonnen survives the first round...Silva is gonna be scared and in trouble.

Sardinkahnikov
07-02-2012, 05:12 AM
This got blown way out of proportion. I bet Dana White is laughing like a little girl as he packs his pockets full of cash. Sonnen's antics are silly and his intent transparent; Silva is even sillier for lashing out like he did, tho.

But what the hell, who doesnt love to see a grudge match! Most people say that Silva will run over Sonnen now, but somehow I'm not so sure...you think Silva was simply too relaxed in the last fight?

Hebrew Hammer
07-02-2012, 09:44 AM
This got blown way out of proportion. I bet Dana White is laughing like a little girl as he packs his pockets full of cash. Sonnen's antics are silly and his intent transparent; Silva is even sillier for lashing out like he did, tho.

But what the hell, who doesnt love to see a grudge match! Most people say that Silva will run over Sonnen now, but somehow I'm not so sure...you think Silva was simply too relaxed in the last fight?

It's hard to be relaxed when some dude is pounding your face for 4.5 rounds, I think Sonnen just wanted it more and had a great game plan. Silva has had some seemingly lack luster fights with other opponents, its either lack of focus or mental toughness. No doubt he has had the best athletic and fighting ABILITY and skill sets. I would love to see him fight Jon Jones after this win or lose.

Personally I like this USA vs Brazil rivalry...I have seen some training vids of Brazilian fighters mocking the USA fighters reliance on boxing and wrestling vs their Muy Thai and BJJ. It makes for good TV.

GeneChing
07-02-2012, 04:35 PM
UFC 148: Anderson Silva Bruce Lees Chael Sonnen (Enter the Spider) (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBK3RJWjfUQ)

Sardinkahnikov
07-03-2012, 07:47 AM
It's hard to be relaxed when some dude is pounding your face for 4.5 rounds, I think Sonnen just wanted it more and had a great game plan. Silva has had some seemingly lack luster fights with other opponents, its either lack of focus or mental toughness. No doubt he has had the best athletic and fighting ABILITY and skill sets. I would love to see him fight Jon Jones after this win or lose.

Personally I like this USA vs Brazil rivalry...I have seen some training vids of Brazilian fighters mocking the USA fighters reliance on boxing and wrestling vs their Muy Thai and BJJ. It makes for good TV.

lol yeah that's what I meant, that Silva was too relaxed before getting a mouthful of fist sandwich, which put him in survival mode. I think you're right, Sonnen had his head deeper in the game during that fight.

About the rivalry thing, I don't know, sometimes it just reeks of poor sportsmanship and lack of class, from both sides. It's not just Sonnen; Silva can be quite a d1ck aswell - remember the Silva v. Maia fight? Ugly, to say the least.

Hebrew Hammer
07-06-2012, 12:36 PM
So I'm seriously considering getting this PPV, too bad some of you fools don't live closer, I'd invite you over to the man cave, adult beverages for everyone.

I haven't gotten a UFC PPV in a while, it always seems like every time I get one, it's the worst one ever. Back in the day I was fortunate enough to get the Mike Tyson vs Evander Holyfield PPV fight where he bit his ear off...we might get this in tomorrow's finally.

Anyone else getting it? The PPV I mean, you dirty *******s.

Here are my predictions for the main card:

1) Main Event Sonnen 3rd Victory by TKO
2)Griffin over Ortiz by Arm Bar
3)Cote over Le by rear naked choke
4)Kim over Maia by decision probably fight of the night.
5)Mendes over Mckenzie by extreme body waxing.
6)Easton over Menjivar by first round KO
7)Guillard over Camoes...decision. Comeback win for Guillard.
8)Nurmagomedov over Tibau guillotine choke.
9)Fukuda over Phillipou by decision
10)Allesio over Roller TKO.

Brule
07-06-2012, 01:42 PM
How dare you bet against Le. Serisouly, who lives where you live, that's fugged up bro!!

Hebrew Hammer
07-06-2012, 02:26 PM
I like Le, don't mistake that...loved watching his Sanshou days...just think he's at the twilight of his fight career. The UFC and Cote have probably better competition than Strikeforce did...

One of my favorite fights was Cung Le Vs Scott Smith.

Lucas
07-06-2012, 02:46 PM
i hope Le wins with sidekick tko just to make you cry!!! :mad:

Hebrew Hammer
07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
i hope Le wins with sidekick tko just to make you cry!!! :mad:

Lucas, I will squash you like a grape.

If Sonnen wins...this is what we may see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=565JUG_jxJY&feature=related

Hebrew Hammer
07-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Most of the main card fights were very lack luster, until Griffin vs Ortiz...completely solid fight! Great efforts from both men. Fight of the night...Tito rocked him a couple of times and Forrest just kept coming back.

Cung Le vs Cote was good for about the first round...just lack luster after that, both men gassed. I don't know why Le doesn't use some of his Sanshou take downs.

The Main Event started out to be a hell of fight but thought it was called far too soon, Sonnen dominated the first round mounted the champ, then made a mistake on a spinning backfist in the second round, tripped then Silva pounced kneeing him in the chest then went after him with hammer fists but didn't think Sonnen was badly hurt and they let Silva take far more damage in the first fight and continue on. Should have let it continue...

I feel cheap and used like one of Bawangs Vietnamese hookers...

Note to UFC Either start putting on female fights, those chicks really go at it or create more of an incentive program for fighters to finish the fight by either knockout or submission. I know they have one award for the whole card for submission/ko of the night but each individual fight should have some financial incentives. Nothing is worse than watching two fighters with too much respect for each other.

Sardinkahnikov
07-07-2012, 10:40 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TmWgUHCp32g/T_kaIr4YoZI/AAAAAAAAaHo/IA2i-XdgBHY/s400/1341722573780.gif

:D

Frost
07-08-2012, 06:05 AM
Most of the main card fights were very lack luster, until Griffin vs Ortiz...completely solid fight! Great efforts from both men. Fight of the night...Tito rocked him a couple of times and Forrest just kept coming back.

Cung Le vs Cote was good for about the first round...just lack luster after that, both men gassed. I don't know why Le doesn't use some of his Sanshou take downs.

The Main Event started out to be a hell of fight but thought it was called far too soon, Sonnen dominated the first round mounted the champ, then made a mistake on a spinning backfist in the second round, tripped then Silva pounced kneeing him in the chest then went after him with hammer fists but didn't think Sonnen was badly hurt and they let Silva take far more damage in the first fight and continue on. Should have let it continue...

I feel cheap and used like one of Bawangs Vietnamese hookers...

Note to UFC Either start putting on female fights, those chicks really go at it or create more of an incentive program for fighters to finish the fight by either knockout or submission. I know they have one award for the whole card for submission/ko of the night but each individual fight should have some financial incentives. Nothing is worse than watching two fighters with too much respect for each other.

seriously did we watch the same fights or were you drunk?
Cote stepped it up big time in the second round with lots of combinations and forward pressure and didn't slow until the 3rd, Cung hit 2 takedowns and that showed why he doesnt use those skills in MMA because his ground game was terrible
Sonnen was rocked and not defending himself at all when Anderson was teeing off with hook punches, hammerfists LMAO he got up after the hammer fists ate a body kick went down again and started eating hook punches to the head without doing anything in return ...WTF were you watching?

and you seriously need to learn about the sport before going off on one, they award for fight of the night, knockout of the night and submission of the night the reason they pay the fights so little but pay such big bonuses is to encourage good fights, they also cut guys who continue to have boring fights

Submission of the Night -- None

Knockout of the Night -- Anderson Silva

Fight of the Night -- Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin

Again, each fighter received $75,000 extra for their performances in addition to their respective base salaries,

Hebrew Hammer
07-08-2012, 12:08 PM
seriously did we watch the same fights or were you drunk?
Cote stepped it up big time in the second round with lots of combinations and forward pressure and didn't slow until the 3rd, Cung hit 2 takedowns and that showed why he doesnt use those skills in MMA because his ground game was terrible
Sonnen was rocked and not defending himself at all when Anderson was teeing off with hook punches, hammerfists LMAO he got up after the hammer fists ate a body kick went down again and started eating hook punches to the head without doing anything in return ...WTF were you watching?

and you seriously need to learn about the sport before going off on one, they award for fight of the night, knockout of the night and submission of the night the reason they pay the fights so little but pay such big bonuses is to encourage good fights, they also cut guys who continue to have boring fights

lol, oh Princess you're like the girlfriend I never had! :D Let me address some of your concerns.

1) No I wasn't drunk, maybe I should have been...next PPV I'm gonna hang out with you and your peeps.

2) You reinforced my point, Cote vs Le was terrible in the 3rd round, they were both gassed. I did see Cung do those two takedowns and applauded his efforts there but they were not either single or double leg shots. What I would rather see from him is Sanshou style throws, trips, and leg sweeps. I like Cung as a fighter but he's gassed out in several of the Strikeforce fights he's been in. He admits that.

I also love watching fighters with a Judo background, throwing fools on their head and believe that sweeps and trips are an under utilized skill in the UFC. I think Cung can do some of that. Just my opinion.

3) The Silva vs Sonnen fight...it was just a bizzare ending, I watched the replay and aside from the knee to the chest it, it looked more like Sonnen folded than that Silva hammered him. When he missed the backfist and fell to ground, Silva was several feet away from him, Sonnen could have tried to scramble to get up, instead he sat down and watched Silva take 3-4 strides across the Octagon to deliver that knee. It was like he knew he made a mistake, lost the initiative, and let Silva take it to him. I believe it has to do with the wrestling background, some wrestlers are terrible when not in dominant position or on their backs. Sonnen pretty much turtled up and didn't try (in my opinion) to scramble or get back the initiative. Had the positions been reversed, I know Silva would have...that's why hes' the champ. I still think it was called too soon....unless the dude is clearly knocked out they should give it more time especially in the main event.

4)Your little table again reinforces my point, a whole PPV event and not a single fight bonus awarded for submission of the night. That's at least ten fights. I agree with Tito/Forrest as fight of night, there should have been more fights like it period. I'm not sure I would have awarded Silva KO of the night...he didn't even knock him out, but who else would have deserved a potential KO of the night on that whole card?

These men are professional fighters, I know they train hard for months, is it too much to expect 15 minutes of action from them? For my money I want to see a fight, if you've ever seen the female fights on Strikeforce, everyone of them was complete brawl that either ended in a KO or submission. My point is that it should be hard to pick the fight of night or KO or Submission of the night. With guys I think some fight not to lose, it's an ego thing.

As I stated above, I am aware they have these bonuses for the whole card, but what I'd like to see is something for each fight...maybe $5k or 10K for the most strikes landed or most submissions attempted per fight. If you watched Pride Fighting...the let the refs give yellow cards for inactivity, I just don't think they should take money away from these guys but rather put out some positive incentives for action.

Come on Frost, admit it, I do know what I'm talking about.

Frost
07-08-2012, 01:48 PM
no you dont't know what you are on about because they already offer individual bonuses for wins :)
So they offer 3 big bonuses, they also offer win bonuses for each fight (did you forget that as well?) not to mention if you lose or dont entertain you get cut,

So they pay small, reward you if you win and then reward you again if you knock someone out or submit them.... what else can they do

here you go a breakdown of a recent ufc to make it clear :)

Michael Bisping: $425,000 ($275,000 to show, $150,000 to win)
Jason Miller: $45,000
Bisping def. Miller via technical knockout

Diego Brandao: $16,000 ($8,000 to show, $8,000 to win)
Dennis Bermudez: $8,000
Brandao def. Bermudez via submission (armbar)

John Dodson: $16,000 ($8,000 to show, $8,000 to win)
T.J. Dillashaw: $8,000
Dodson def. Dillashaw via knockout

Tony Ferguson: $30,000 ($15,000 to show, $15,000 to win)
Yves Edwards: $16,000
Ferguson def. Edwards via unanimous decision

Johnny Bedford: $16,000 ($8,000 to show, $8,000 to win)
Louis Gaudinot: $8,000
Bedford def. Gaudinot via technical knockout

Marcus Brimage: $16,000 ($8,000 to show, $8,000 to win)
Stephen Bass: $8,000
Brimage def. Bass via unanimous decision

John Albert: $16,000 ($8,000 to show, $8,000 to win)
Dustin Pague: $8,000
Albert def. Pague via technical knockout

Roland Delorme: $16,000 ($8,000 to show, $8,000 to win)
Josh Ferguson: $8,000
Delorme def. Ferguson via submission (rear naked choke)

Steven Siler: $16,000 ($8,000 to show, $8,000 to win)
Josh Clopton: $8,000
Siler def. Clopton via unanimous decision

Bryan Caraway: $16,000 ($8,000 to show, $8,000 to win)
Dustin Neace: $8,000
Caraway def. Neace via submission (rear naked choke)

goju
07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Frost is right that was not an early stoppage. sonnen wasnt defending and didnt hop up to his feet quickly and protest.

He was done whether it was from being hurt or he just mentality folded whatever he did not want anymore of it clearly

RWilson
07-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Frost is right that was not an early stoppage. sonnen wasnt defending and didnt hop up to his feet quickly and protest.

He was done whether it was from being hurt or he just mentality folded whatever he did not want anymore of it clearly

Silva was pulling Sonnen's shorts to give him a wedgy. That is cheating. I not sure what happened to Sonnen. I think he mentally folded. I think they called the fight too quick. Shane Carwin had Brock Lesnar in a similar situation but the ref did not call that fight in the first round.

Sonnen does one thing and that is to take people down and ground and pound them. Silva trained takedown defense knowing this. Sonnen did not adapt well.

Frost, you have such a b!tchy tone to your posts. Are you having your period?

hskwarrior
07-08-2012, 05:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe1NXNe0wyk&feature=share

Hebrew Hammer
07-08-2012, 07:09 PM
no you dont't know what you are on about because they already offer individual bonuses for wins :)
So they offer 3 big bonuses, they also offer win bonuses for each fight (did you forget that as well?) not to mention if you lose or dont entertain you get cut,

So they pay small, reward you if you win and then reward you again if you knock someone out or submit them.... what else can they do

here you go a breakdown of a recent ufc to make it clear :)

I understand that, what you're misconstruing is I want bonuses for ACTION...not incentives for winning or losing, I know those other ones exist. I want to see great fights on a PPV, often times the undercards are more exciting because these are two fighters who have an incentive to move up and become part of the main card.

Most of the incentives in your posting are for wins...hence some of the fighters don't take risks engage in actions attempt risky stuff because of the fear of losing. If they're bonuses were based on action vs winning or losing we might have more exciting fights. I want to see a fight not a judge's decisions.

Frost
07-08-2012, 11:44 PM
I understand that, what you're misconstruing is I want bonuses for ACTION...not incentives for winning or losing, I know those other ones exist. I want to see great fights on a PPV, often times the undercards are more exciting because these are two fighters who have an incentive to move up and become part of the main card.

Most of the incentives in your posting are for wins...hence some of the fighters don't take risks engage in actions attempt risky stuff because of the fear of losing. If they're bonuses were based on action vs winning or losing we might have more exciting fights. I want to see a fight not a judge's decisions.

umm the criteria for winning by judges decision

Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the ring/fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense.
so in order to win you have to be seen to be the aggressor and to be controlling the cage, hard to do that by not engaging yes?
Hard to do that by not being more active than the other guy by and large yes?

not to mention Dana is known for keeping fighters on if he finds them exciting even if they lose (like dan hardy) and cutting fighters is they win but are boring

Frost
07-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Silva was pulling Sonnen's shorts to give him a wedgy. That is cheating. I not sure what happened to Sonnen. I think he mentally folded. I think they called the fight too quick. Shane Carwin had Brock Lesnar in a similar situation but the ref did not call that fight in the first round.

Sonnen does one thing and that is to take people down and ground and pound them. Silva trained takedown defense knowing this. Sonnen did not adapt well.

Frost, you have such a b!tchy tone to your posts. Are you having your period?

you are a whiner and a moaner, so who cares what you think :)

sanjuro_ronin
07-09-2012, 05:47 AM
Sonnen's mouth wrote cheques that his body couldn't cash.
Hype may sell tickets but it doesn't beat champions.
There is an old adage in fighting sports, made popular by Rick Flair:
To BE THE MAN you must BEAT THE MAN.

Sonnen didn't.
Did he have the chance? Yes, just like last time.
Was he able to seal the deal? Nope, just like last time.
Did Silva have a chance to beat him? Yes, just like last time.
Did Silva seal the deal? yes, just like last time.

Brule
07-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Sonnen's mouth wrote cheques that his body couldn't cash..

Don't they all dude. And how come nobody gave props to Le for getting the decision. Haters :D

Lucas
07-09-2012, 10:36 AM
hey hebrew. i just wanted to tell you HA FUKIN HA cung le won you suck. squash this bich!!!

and i do tend to agree with hebrew.

they award a cash bonus for showing, and a cash bonus for win. you can show up, and win and still be boring as hell....ive seen it a lot actually. sometimes both guys get into a 'rhythm' that makes for a boring fight. ya its still a fight, but sometimes its just as much as it needs to be to get paid. kind of like when i go to work and do just enough to get through the day, but i dont bust out rock star style. we all do that. at my job they have an incentive plan to ensure i break out the goods more often than not.

I mean BOTH fighters can just kind of give 80% in stead of 100% and then just collect a paycheck. what hebrew is saying is to formulate an incentive plan that assures both fighters in EVERY fight give 100%. sure you can let dana eventually toss guys that are boring, but what about the $$ plop we just put down on a boring ass card on ppv?

its not really a bad idea.

Lucas
07-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Don't they all dude. And how come nobody gave props to Le for getting the decision. Haters :D

i do!!!!!!!!!!! GO CUNG! he did it for all the 40 year olds!!!

sanjuro_ronin
07-09-2012, 10:45 AM

Here you go, love his quote at the end !

Cung Le picked up his first UFC victory, winning a unanimous decision over Patrick Cote.

Le did a good job of dictating the distance, frustrating the Quebec middleweight with body kicks and counter punches. Cote's iron jaw was on display, as Le cracked him several times with high kicks and right-hooks.

“I feel great, a little tired,” an excited Le said. “I was going to do a back flip, but don't have the energy. He came, he brought it. He has a hard head, I hurt my foot on it.”

SimonM
07-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Good old Le.

We can always count on him to represent. Anybody got a link to a vid of the fight?

Hebrew Hammer
07-09-2012, 01:25 PM
umm the criteria for winning by judges decision

so in order to win you have to be seen to be the aggressor and to be controlling the cage, hard to do that by not engaging yes?
Hard to do that by not being more active than the other guy by and large yes?

not to mention Dana is known for keeping fighters on if he finds them exciting even if they lose (like dan hardy) and cutting fighters is they win but are boring

Frost, I mean Princess, I get what you're saying and tend to agree with that for the most part. Maybe what I would like to see isn't reasonable, but I don't think so. Let me give you some examples of what I think they could do better, especially in PPV.

Here are some examples of things I want them to eliminate or change. I know you've seen these types of fights. The first round feel out, where both fighters pretty much spend the whole five minutes dancing around, throwing a few lazy jabs or feints and not ever engaging. It happens. The laying in some dude's guard for a whole round...fighter shoots the take down and then just pretty much lays on the guy for win. He's in dominant position, controlled the octagon but never really did any damage or try to submit the guy. This kind of fight makes me want to punch myself in the face. Lastly, the guy who throws a jab and then dances away all night, I can't remember the fighters names but there was one fight on that card that was pretty much a boring boxing exhibition...the two fighters threw a one two and disengaged and shadow boxed. It maybe ok in a ten or 12 round boxing match but is not good for a 3rd fight.

The UFC used to do a better job of standing guys up for inactivity on ground, it seems to me they really got away from it. I'd like them to get back to it or maybe allow the ref to be able to deduct a point for inactivity. That would definitely motivate a fighter to work harder. It certainly seemed to work for Pride when they allowed the Ref to be the arbiter of action.

Create a Senior or Legends division, each PPV would bring in a fight with two former champs or classic fighters say in the 35- 40+ age range...they may not be competitive with the youngsters but could still throw a great fight.

Like you mentioned (Dan Hardy), there are some fighters no matter what their record are gonna throw down, guys like Forrest Griffin, the Diaz Bros, Vanderley Silva, Uriah Faber, Chris Leiben, etc that I'd pay watch fight. These guys don't take rounds off and always try to win. Just stack a few more fights with these types of fighters. Perhaps save some of the newer fighters for Fox TV events.

Sardinkahnikov
07-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Good old Le.

We can always count on him to represent. Anybody got a link to a vid of the fight?

here you go sir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajXvic_Gr30

goju
07-09-2012, 09:32 PM
http://47.imagebam.com/download/pIDcZAgUZIfbz3pWSg7lIA/20065/200649347/63oajkye.gif

SimonM
07-10-2012, 04:39 AM
here you go sir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajXvic_Gr30

Gracias sir.