PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Mayweather

Hebrew Hammer
05-15-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm still a big boxing fan, its taken a bad rap over the years...for corruption and with the rise of MMA it's been somewhat marginalized as a martial art. I still have much respect for boxers, boxing, and I think it's made a solid comeback over the last few years with some amazing fights.

I caught the replay of the Mayweather/Cotto fight this weekend, Cotto was the first fighter to rough the champ up...some saying the possible fight of the year. I'm not so sure, I think Floyd was toying with him, letting him rough him up a bit to quite the critics and put on an entertaining fight. He is a master of his art. Probably because of his mouth, he doesn't get credit enough for being the one of the greatest ever.

The ultimate test, in the view of the boxing world is if they make the Pacquiao fight happen. I'd love to see it but I'm pretty sure Mayweather will come out on top.

sanjuro_ronin
05-15-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm still a big boxing fan, its taken a bad rap over the years...for corruption and with the rise of MMA it's been somewhat marginalized as a martial art. I still have much respect for boxers, boxing, and I think it's made a solid comeback over the last few years with some amazing fights.

I caught the replay of the Mayweather/Cotto fight this weekend, Cotto was the first fighter to rough the champ up...some saying the possible fight of the year. I'm not so sure, I think Floyd was toying with him, letting him rough him up a bit to quite the critics and put on an entertaining fight. He is a master of his art. Probably because of his mouth, he doesn't get credit enough for being the one of the greatest ever.

The ultimate test, in the view of the boxing world is if they make the Pacquiao fight happen. I'd love to see it but I'm pretty sure Mayweather will come out on top.

Maywheather is a classic example of being great IN SPITE of what he does.
I don't like fighters that think they are more than their sport.
None of that takes away from being one of the most talented boxers EVER.

Hebrew Hammer
05-15-2012, 11:55 AM
His antics in and out of ring have cost him...it's lack of maturity...but it's also entertainment...not every champ will be humble, someone we admire as a man. Floyd would be nothing without boxing, I believe he knows this and isn't greater than the sport, although he may ham it up as such.

sanjuro_ronin
05-15-2012, 11:56 AM
His antics in and out of ring have cost him...it's lack of maturity...but it's also entertainment...not every champ will be humble, someone we admire as a man. Floyd would be nothing without boxing, I believe he knows this and isn't greater than the sport, although he may ham it up as such.

Sure, he is a by-product of his "showtime" generation.

doug maverick
05-15-2012, 12:57 PM
i think what you all seem to forget is....mayweathers mouth sells tickets and sells ppv...he is the biggest draw in boxing...and one of his fights wipes out most of the ufc ppvs. there is a method to his madness and its $$$.

Hebrew Hammer
05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Of that there is no doubt Doug...he is a brilliant marketer of all things Mayweather and PPV.

doug maverick
05-15-2012, 02:21 PM
to be honest i like his 24/7 specials more then the fights..lol...although we didnt see much training...his uncle roger isnt as fast as he use to be..old age and sickness is catching up with him....if his uncle roger passes...i hope he doesnt go back to his dad...no offense but floyd mayweather senior has a boring style.

wenshu
05-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Mayweather is the guy people love to hate. He makes it very easy. I actually see a lot of vulnerability and lack of self confidence in some of his antics. All that make it rain, cash flashing bravado is transparent overcompensation. I can sympathize with that. On the flip side of the likability coin is Manny Pacquaio, who, despite his magnanimity is definitely no saint.

I identify more as a Manny Paquaio fan but, realistically, I have to say I think Mayweather would dismantle Manny's whole gameplan. If I had to call it right now I say it would go to the cards with Mayweather by a split decision. I don't understand why Mayweather is apparently ducking Pacquaio other than maybe deep down he thinks he can't beat him. Caginess serves him well in the ring so maybe he's too overprotective of his undefeated record.

Or he's just playing mind games. Seems unlikely when this much money is on the line.

Hebrew Hammer
05-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Its not ducking at this point, its all about the $$$ and purse split, Floyd's demanding a 60/40 split in his favor...he's the man after all and Manny want's 50/50...their promoters aren't budging. Manny's guy offered a 45/45 split with the winner taking the additional 10 percent but Floyd's not having it. I think the fight will happen next year.

wenshu
05-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Its not ducking at this point, its all about the $$$ and purse split, Floyd's demanding a 60/40 split in his favor...he's the man after all and Manny want's 50/50...their promoters aren't budging. Manny's guy offered a 45/45 split with the winner taking the additional 10 percent but Floyd's not having it. I think the fight will happen next year.

That's what I was referring to. 10%? He's ducking him. After Manny agrees to 60/40 Floyd will create another roadblock.

doug maverick
05-17-2012, 08:01 AM
why would floyd duck him? floyd will beat manny pac easy...you people need to be realistic....did you see how marguez whupped manny's ass? floyd made marguez his son....both floyd and marguez fight the same style...please..be realistic, dont let your personal feelings about floyd get in the way that he is pound for pound the better fighter.

sanjuro_ronin
05-17-2012, 08:06 AM
The longer this drags on the more the chance of one of them getting their asses beat by someone else and there goes the money.

wenshu
05-17-2012, 08:42 AM
why would floyd duck him? floyd will beat manny pac easy...you people need to be realistic....did you see how marguez whupped manny's ass? floyd made marguez his son....both floyd and marguez fight the same style...please..be realistic, dont let your personal feelings about floyd get in the way that he is pound for pound the better fighter.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit son.

You can't realistically compare how two fighters would perform against each other based on how they performed against the same opponent at different times and weight classes. Too many variables.

Manny knocked out Hatton in 2 rounds, but Fatton almost went the distance with Mayweather. Cotto gave Mayweather more trouble than he did Manny. Mayweather fought Marquez at catch weight where Marquez had never been above 130 before but Mayweather had been at 140+ since 05. Vice versa for Cotto. They both fought Mosley, De La Hoya blah blah blah blah.

All things considered it is not by any means an accurate method of comparison.

Like I said, it doesn't make sense for him to duck Manny, but if he was really confident he could beat him the fight would've been done. Mayweather is a genius but you can't deny that he cherry picks his opponents and it seems clear to me that it is out of over protectiveness of remaining undefeated.

doug maverick
05-17-2012, 09:00 AM

You can't realistically compare how two fighters would perform against each other based on how they performed against the same opponent at different times and weight classes. Too many variables.

Manny knocked out Hatton in 2 rounds, but Fatton almost went the distance with Mayweather. Cotto gave Mayweather more trouble than he did Manny. Mayweather fought Marquez at catch weight where Marquez had never been above 130 before but Mayweather had been at 140+ since 05. Vice versa for Cotto. They both fought Mosley, De La Hoya blah blah blah blah.

All things considered it is not by any means an accurate method of comparison.

Like I said, it doesn't make sense for him to duck Manny, but if he was really confident he could beat him the fight would've been done. Mayweather is a genius but you can't deny that he cherry picks his opponents and it seems clear to me that it is out of over protectiveness of remaining undefeated.

Excuse me...did i insult you? do you have the mental fortitude to make your comment without insulting someone? go fuqq yourself. im not your son you fuqqing moron.

do you work for team pac? no you dont, these guys are millionaires arguing over millions of dollars...you want to say im wrong fine...make your comment but dont take it personally..it takes a very weak minded individual to take something, that technically has nothing to do with them personally.

wenshu
05-17-2012, 09:13 AM
go fuqq yourself.

I just did. And I was fantastic.

do you work for team pac? no you dont, these guys are millionaires arguing over millions of dollars...you want to say im wrong fine...make your comment but dont take it personally..it takes a very weak minded individual to take something, that technically has nothing to do with them personally.

8 posts up. Same thread.

I identify more as a Manny Paquaio fan but, realistically, I have to say I think Mayweather would dismantle Manny's whole gameplan. If I had to call it right now I say it would go to the cards with Mayweather by a split decision. I don't understand why Mayweather is apparently ducking Pacquaio other than maybe deep down he thinks he can't beat him. Caginess serves him well in the ring so maybe he's too overprotective of his undefeated record.

Or he's just playing mind games. Seems unlikely when this much money is on the line.

The only statement that even mentions a possibility of Mayweather losing to Pacquiao in this entire thread is the imaginary one in your own post that you had a knee jerk reaction to.

Hebrew Hammer
05-17-2012, 11:11 AM
The skills that Manny has that may make this a magnificent fight are his speed and power, not so much his defensive skills, he maybe and just maybe be able to catch Floyd...more so than his other competition. Floyd is just as fast and has superior defensive skills...so I'd still LOVE to see this happen.

I haven't seen this Manny vs Marquez fight everyone is claiming he lost. They both destroyed Hatton :mad: who was my boy, I was hoping he'd rough up Floyd and work that body. Speed was too much for him.

wenshu
05-17-2012, 11:33 AM
The skills that Manny has that may make this a magnificent fight are his speed and power, not so much his defensive skills, he maybe and just maybe be able to catch Floyd...more so than his other competition. Floyd is just as fast and has superior defensive skills...so I'd still LOVE to see this happen.

I haven't seen this Manny vs Marquez fight everyone is claiming he lost. They both destroyed Hatton :mad: who was my boy, I was hoping he'd rough up Floyd and work that body. Speed was too much for him.

Manny didn't really lose to Marquez, he could have except that in the later rounds Marquez's corner kept telling him he was winning on the cards so he played the last two rounds safe and didn't attack at all whereas Manny knew it was close and stayed active to the final bell. That is pretty much the only thing that saved him.

Mayweather Pacquaio would be such an amazing fight. Two diametrically opposed styles, I just wish it could've happened when they were both at their peaks.

Manny does have a few things going for him. Mayweather's shoulder roll doesn't work as well against southpaws and it is based entirely on rythm. Mayweather's timing is impeccable but one of Pacquaio's greatest strengths is his ability to punch arrhythmically and from crazy angles and that stands a decent chance of disrupting Mayweather's defense.

But in the end Pacquaio just leaves himself too open and Mayweather is going to capitalize on that with lead right hands the whole fight. Mayweather is just too smart and too technical for Manny.

doug maverick
05-17-2012, 12:31 PM
I just did. And I was fantastic.

8 posts up. Same thread.

The only statement that even mentions a possibility of Mayweather losing to Pacquiao in this entire thread is the imaginary one in your own post that you had a knee jerk reaction to.

i was commenting on your comment about floyd coming up with excuses..that is all...there are much better more adult ways to get your point across without attacking someone...did i attack you? nope, certainly did not...i know that its popular to try and insult someone on forums...but please raise your consciousness above that petty crap. you could have just posted this..to prove me wrong instead of trying to insult someone...

sanjuro_ronin
05-17-2012, 12:47 PM

This was rather in poor taste Wen.

Hebrew Hammer
05-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Manny didn't really lose to Marquez, he could have except that in the later rounds Marquez's corner kept telling him he was winning on the cards so he played the last two rounds safe and didn't attack at all whereas Manny knew it was close and stayed active to the final bell. That is pretty much the only thing that saved him.

Mayweather Pacquaio would be such an amazing fight. Two diametrically opposed styles, I just wish it could've happened when they were both at their peaks.

Manny does have a few things going for him. Mayweather's shoulder roll doesn't work as well against southpaws and it is based entirely on rythm. Mayweather's timing is impeccable but one of Pacquaio's greatest strengths is his ability to punch arrhythmically and from crazy angles and that stands a decent chance of disrupting Mayweather's defense.

But in the end Pacquaio just leaves himself too open and Mayweather is going to capitalize on that with lead right hands the whole fight. Mayweather is just too smart and too technical for Manny.

Well said...

This was rather in poor taste Wen.

I thought this forum was in poor taste?

sanjuro_ronin
05-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Well said...

I thought this forum was in poor taste?

Well, when you put it that way.

Considering Manny's latest remark about gays, I think the longer this fight takes to happen the less anyone is gonna care about it.

Hebrew Hammer
05-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Well, when you put it that way.

Considering Manny's latest remark about gays, I think the longer this fight takes to happen the less anyone is gonna care about it.

Manny or Floyd's rant??? I just saw some Vid of Floyd saying some pretty ignorant stuff. Haven't seen anything from Manny regarding this. They both are little less than cultured to say the least...doesn't mean I don't respect em.

wenshu
05-17-2012, 01:05 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/05/manny-pacquiao-to-the-gay-community-i-apologize.html

The furor surrounding boxer Manny Pacquiao seems to be dying down, more than a day after the Grove shopping center banned him from the mall in response to remarks he made about gay marriage.

The boxer spent Wednesday clarifying his comments -- and many of those who had earlier condemned him backed off.

The Grove action was prompted by inaccurate quotations attributed to the boxing great.

The controversy stemmed from an interview Pacquiao gave to the National Conservative Examiner. Pacquiao expressed his disagreement with President Obama's recent endorsement of gay marriage.

The article went on to say that "Pacquiao's directive for Obama calls societies to fear God and not to promote sin, inclusive of same-sex marriage and cohabitation."

Stoking further controversy, the story quotes the Old Testament book of Leviticus 20:13, saying: "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Pacquiao was not quoted in the story as making the biblical reference. But he was reported as doing so by some American news outlets.

On Wednesday, Pacquiao went on the offensive. He said that he had nothing against gay people and that hateful comments attributed to him were untrue.

"What I said is a reporter asked me about gay marriage .... I am against gay marriage, but I'm not condemning gays," the boxer said in an interview with The Times. "I have family — a cousin — who's gay, and friends too. I'm just against gay marriage. I don't even want to talk about the issue, but I was asked about it, so I gave my opinion."

The writer of the original story also backed up Pacquiao's account. "I sincerely apologize for the confusion my column has caused. I certainly do not represent Pacquiao nor his team," the author wrote.

sanjuro_ronin
05-17-2012, 01:09 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/05/manny-pacquiao-to-the-gay-community-i-apologize.html

Good to hear that it was blown up for no reason, if that was the case.
Isn't Manny considering running for politics?

Hebrew Hammer
05-17-2012, 01:10 PM
I believe he was elected to office in Manila.

sanjuro_ronin
05-17-2012, 01:13 PM
I believe he was elected to office in Manilla.

Politician?
Well now I hope Floyd knocks his head off :D
If he becomes a lawyer, then he should be tarred and feathered !!

wenshu
05-17-2012, 01:40 PM
i was commenting on your comment about floyd coming up with excuses..that is all...there are much better more adult ways to get your point across without attacking someone...did i attack you? nope, certainly did not...i know that its popular to try and insult someone on forums...but please raise your consciousness above that petty crap. you could have just posted this..to prove me wrong instead of trying to insult someone...

Was it really that bad? I wasn't upset after you told me to go **** myself but you're vexed because I said you demonstrated a lack of reading comprehension?

Did you read the thread thoroughly before commenting? No.

Was I a jerk about it? Absolutely.

doug maverick
05-17-2012, 03:58 PM
there are better ways to communicate, state your facts. dont mount a personal attack on people...was it bad? no...did it make me mad? no..not really...its just the frustration that everytime someone makes a comment on this site, nobody talks about the issue they just attack the other person, instead of attacking the issue. i apologize for cursing you out, that was totally uncalled for, and i over reacted toward you.

brothernumber9
05-18-2012, 06:37 AM
Anyone can get caught on any given day. Pacquiao has the power to do it, but I also think Floyd does too. Mayweather has under estimated power in my opinion. In the last round of the Cotto fight he stunned Cotto. People rag on Mayweather's opponents, but he has fought some of the best and almost all of his recent ones after the fighter was coming off a good win or few. Outside of Pacquiao now, who should he fight? I don't think many people really think Senchenko is much of a threat especially after losing to Mallinagi (sp?). Who else is there in the division, Devon Alexander or Maidana? maybe, but not much else.

I think the Pacquiao - Bradley fight could be a good fight to watch at least by the middle rounds. I've only seen Bradley fight twice, he looks like he likes to mix it up, but I think if he tries to bang with Manny his timing will become too static and he will get caught, and I don't think Bradley has the goods to KO Pacquiao.

Hopefully after Pacquiao wins, and Floyd does his time, Arum will relent and finally let this fight happen under Mayweather's terms, because that's pretty much the only way it will happen.