PDA

View Full Version : Day of the Beast

GeneChing
05-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Not strictly martial arts, but we do like to keep up with Woo.

I don't think I've seen Youth of the Beast. :o

Woo boards Beast (http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/woo-boards-beast)
By Stephen Cremin
Wed, 16 May 2012, 19:06 PM (HKT)

John WOO 吳宇森 will direct Day of the Beast, a remake of SUZUKI Seijun 鈴木清順's yakuza classic Youth of the Beast 野獣の青春 (1963).

The project is a co-production between Nikkatsu Corp 日活, who made the original movie, and Woo and Terence CHANG 張家振's Lion Rock Productions 獅子山製作有限公司. Nikkatsu is this year celebrating their 100th anniversary.

In a statement, John Woo said, "This remake is my salute to the great films and filmmakers produced by Nikkatsu's 100 years in cinema history. It is exciting for me as well as an honor."

Woo's regular producer Chang added, "Seijun Suzuki's Youth of the Beast is one of my favourite films, and I have been obsessed with remaking it for over 10 years! I have to thank Nikkatsu for this partnership and for making this dream come true!"

Nikkatsu president SATO Naoki 佐藤直樹, who also produces, said, "Among [our] 6,000+ film library, this is one of our most revered titles. We think this is a great way to start off the next 100 years of filmmaking history!"

The new film is described as "an action-packed saga of loyalty, revenge and redemption which erupts in the heart of Tokyo" featuring a "western outsider" during a war between old-school Russian gangsters and a new breed of Japanese yakuza.

John Woo's politically-sensitive historical romance Love and Let Love 生死戀 is believed to be having difficulties securing script approval from the State Administration of Radio, Film & Television (SARFT) 國家廣播電影電視總局.