PDA

View Full Version : Squat Vs DeadLift

CrazyDan
08-24-2001, 03:04 AM
I dont really do deadlifts but I do squats, which do you think is a bigger mass builder and best full body exercise between the 2?

SevenStar
08-24-2001, 03:26 PM
If you don't Squat, You Ain't Squat!

Any questions?

The deadlift is a good mass builder, but of all the mass building exercises, I'd say squats are the biggest.

-ShortySeven©
Step right up and get it -- whoever wants [defeat]

Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

Ford Prefect
08-24-2001, 05:06 PM
If you were only going to do one, I'll have to go ahead an disagree with Seven Star. ;) I think a deadlift builds more fucntional strength since it is a whole-body lift. It's the king! I'd say you'd be a fool for not doing both though. Heh!

dumog93
08-24-2001, 06:10 PM
Deadlift involves more muscles,so it must be king.I do think you should squat also to build leg mass though.I don't get as much leg work deadlifting due to the limit of my grip and shoulder strength.How can you say squat is better than deadlift? About the only muscle group you don't use in the deadlift is your chest.You can't say the same for squat i think.

-Devildog

Water Dragon
08-24-2001, 08:00 PM
Squats are for Sissies

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

shaolin_knight
08-25-2001, 03:32 AM
I prefer deadlift, but I don't know about mass building. If you want strength, go with deadlift.

SevenStar
08-25-2001, 04:19 AM
Because they aren't a necessity for building mass. I have plenty of mass, and deadlifting is not part of my regular regimen. They are definitely mass builders, but I can gain mass in the same areas from other movements. NOTHING builds legs like squats though. So from a necessity standpoint I say squats. Squats work the same muscles in the back that deadlifts do, but admittedly the deadlift works them harder. But, I'm a squat freak anyway, so I'm prolly biased. :)

-ShortySeven©

dumog93
08-25-2001, 05:26 AM
Usually i agree with you on these things,but you need to put the crack pipe up for a moment before saying squats work your back the same as deadlift.If you deadlift 500 and squat 500 i guarantee you'll notice a difference in where you are sore.Deadlifts...all your back,legs(mainly the rear),your ass,shoulders,and forearms.If any lift is king it is deadlifts.Why do you think so many people shy away from them? They are hard.The hardest single lift there is.Also they have the greatest benefit for gh release and translateable strength.By this i mean you might actually use some of the motions in deadlifting in real world applications.It is the most progressive compound movement that i know of.If i had to choose between the two i definitely would not pick squat.Then again we can do both,so it doesn't matter much.

-Devildog

SevenStar
08-25-2001, 05:50 AM
I said "Squats work the same muscles in the back that deadlifts do, but admittedly the deadlift works them harder." I can gain mass in the areas that the deadlift works with oither exercises just as easy as I can with the deadlift. You can't say the same for squats though. Agreed though, you can do both.

-ShortySeven©

Kumkuat
08-25-2001, 04:27 PM
deadlifts also help to condition your shin when the bar scrapes it.

Water Dragon
08-25-2001, 05:19 PM
LOL @ Kumquat. Buy a pair of TaeKwonDo shin guards. That'll solve the bloody shin syndrome.

Truthfully, I think squats and Deads are both killers. I do deads exclusively simply because I have no access to a rack. I'm a backyard lifter.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

SevenStar
08-26-2001, 05:32 AM
I feel ya on that. The only time I've really done deadlifts on a regular basis was when I was lifting at home.

-ShortySeven©

IronFist
08-26-2001, 07:16 AM
Uh... they say DL's work your hamstrings really hard. Squats supposedly do, too. Know what? I don't feel my hamstrings worked by either. Then again I suck at DL'ing. Remember my one thread about how I suck at it?

I don't know.

Btw, DL's definately work your back more than squats do. Pass the crackpipe this way. But, taller people feel Squats in their back more than shorter people. Did you guys know that?!! It's leverage and such.

I wish I would get healthy! My classes start in 8 hours and 40 minutes!

Iron

Ford Prefect
08-26-2001, 03:05 PM
Iron,

You ever do low box squats? I usually only feel squats in my quads and arse, but when I box squat, I can definately feel those hammy's kicking in.

Kumkuat
08-26-2001, 03:20 PM
what about SLDL? I got some massive DOMS in my hamms after I tried those for the first time.

IronFist
08-26-2001, 09:19 PM
SLDL's work hamstrings, no doubting that.

What is ROMS? I don't think I ever learned that acronym. Rangs of Motions?

SLDL's don't build nearly the full body power that DL's do tho.

Iron

Kumkuat
08-26-2001, 10:53 PM
Yeah, ROMs mean range of motion, but I wrote DOMs which means delayed onset muscle soreness. :)

Scott R. Brown
08-27-2001, 10:40 PM
It takes full squats to work the hams effectively.

Half squats or box squats do not go deep enough to provide adequate stimulus to the hams.

Sincerely,

Scott

jimmy23
08-28-2001, 05:46 AM
Both are compound exercises, and both are excellent for marital artists, the kings of strength training for fighters.

I prefer dumbell romanian deadlifts. Of course, Im more a grappler than anything, so i need the back and grip strength

"You guys have obviously never done any real fighting if you are mocking spitting"
Spinning Backfist