PDA

View Full Version : Most Basic Concept of Wing Chun?

Yoshiyahu
05-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Whats the most basic concept of Wing Chun?

k gledhill
05-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Is it wearing a shirt ?

sanjuro_ronin
05-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Hit and don't get hit.

couch
05-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Hit and don't get hit.

I like it.

Was going to say, "Hit the guy."

couch
05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Is it wearing a shirt ?

Not if you're filming a DVD or putting your picture in a magazine. Shirtless Wing Chun people sell more stuff. It's true!

sanjuro_ronin
05-29-2012, 12:58 PM
I like it.

Was going to say, "Hit the guy."

People hate when I say this but WC is simple and direct and there is no need to overcomplicated and if more people actually fought with it, they'd see that the system isn't that complicated at all.
In practical terms of course.

k gledhill
05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
So hitting a guy without being hit first, without a shirt is the top answer ? :D

sanjuro_ronin
05-29-2012, 01:15 PM
So hitting a guy without being hit first, without a shirt is the top answer ? :D

Can there be any doubt?

Paging Emin Botzepe !

Wayfaring
05-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Only when I say it. :D Everybody else is bored based upon thread response.

k gledhill
05-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Only when I say it. :D Everybody else is bored based upon thread response.

Lmao!......

YouKnowWho
05-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Is "head on collision (A + B > A)" that you pull your opponent into your punch a basic concept of WC? I assume WC is more than just the "rear end collision (A - B < A)" that you punch while your opponent is moving back.

Robinhood
05-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Is "head on collision (A + B > A)" that you pull your opponent into your punch a basic concept of WC? I assume WC is more than just the "rear end collision (A - B < A)" that you punch while your opponent is moving back.

No, its A squared + B squared = C squared ,

Cheers

couch
05-29-2012, 03:33 PM
No, its A squared + B squared = C squared ,

Cheers

Don't forget, though, in order to double the blast radius, you have to cube it.

Happy Tiger
05-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Not if you're filming a DVD or putting your picture in a magazine. Shirtless Wing Chun people sell more stuff. It's true!
I still have more respect for the golf shirt w/ breast pocket.
My vote is 'when the hand is free, hit instinctively and directly.'

Lee Chiang Po
05-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Hitting someone is an action, not a concept. The original question was what is the most basic concept of Wing Chun. The most basic concept is that the shortest distance between two points will always be a straight line, and that would be center line. Everything else can vie for it's own place in the line up.

imperialtaichi
05-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Hitting someone is an action, not a concept. The original question was what is the most basic concept of Wing Chun. The most basic concept is that the shortest distance between two points will always be a straight line, and that would be center line. Everything else can vie for it's own place in the line up.

1. Human movements are based on curves, so while the shortest distance between A and B is a straight line, it may not be the most efficient/effective.

2. There are lots more targets than those on the centre line.

imperialtaichi
05-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Hit and don't get hit.

Hit and don't get hit, MUCH. :D

sanjuro_ronin
05-31-2012, 05:29 AM

I hear ya !

couch
05-31-2012, 06:08 AM

Hear! Hear! Good addition.

Lee Chiang Po
05-31-2012, 09:50 PM
1. Human movements are based on curves, so while the shortest distance between A and B is a straight line, it may not be the most efficient/effective.

2. There are lots more targets than those on the centre line.

If this were true, then more than likely there would be no center line concept or theory. Curving your thrust shortens it and weakens the strike power. It is not always about natural human movement, but more about efficient human movement. Curved strikes are simply not efficient strikes. Even out uppercut, which is sort of an upward hook, comes across on center line.

Matt_WCK
06-01-2012, 03:30 AM
If this were true, then more than likely there would be no center line concept or theory. Curving your thrust shortens it and weakens the strike power. It is not always about natural human movement, but more about efficient human movement. Curved strikes are simply not efficient strikes. Even out uppercut, which is sort of an upward hook, comes across on center line.

Surely then, the most basic concept would not be 'centreline' but efficiency/simplicity - centreline concept would then be derived from this.

Robinhood
06-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Whats the most basic concept of Wing Chun?

Center plane.

m1k3
06-01-2012, 07:54 AM

He didn't say curving your thrust. Your fist may travel in a straight line but the mechanics behind it are curves. Think of the way a piston in an engine works. Your shoulder is a ball and socket joint, it can only move in curves.

BTW, a curved punch does not lose power.

Lee Chiang Po
06-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Surely then, the most basic concept would not be 'centreline' but efficiency/simplicity - centreline concept would then be derived from this.

This would make sense, except that efficiency/simplicity covers a really wide area. It would almost cover most all of wing chun so to speak. And in such a case, it would not really represent the MOST important single concept. But then again, maybe it does.

Lee Chiang Po
06-01-2012, 05:42 PM
He didn't say curving your thrust. Your fist may travel in a straight line but the mechanics behind it are curves. Think of the way a piston in an engine works. Your shoulder is a ball and socket joint, it can only move in curves.
BTW, a curved punch does not lose power.

No, you are starting to knit pick here. The construction of one's arm dictates that it fold and bend and such in any action, but the fist can still travel on a direct and straight line. That is what is meant here and you I think know that.
And no again. The curved punch is not really a punch, but more a hook, and you can simply not put the same structure behind it and the accuracy and the structure of the wrist is simply not there. Any straight forward punch with good structure behind it will always be way more powerful than the hook. Not to say a hook will not damage you, as we all know that it will, but it will never carry the same power or wrist structure.

GlennR
06-01-2012, 06:40 PM
No, you are starting to knit pick here. The construction of one's arm dictates that it fold and bend and such in any action, but the fist can still travel on a direct and straight line. That is what is meant here and you I think know that.

What he is saying, and youre failing to see, is the forearm is driven forward by the rotation of the shoulder joint.

And no again. The curved punch is not really a punch, but more a hook, and you can simply not put the same structure behind it and the accuracy and the structure of the wrist is simply not there. Any straight forward punch with good structure behind it will always be way more powerful than the hook. Not to say a hook will not damage you, as we all know that it will, but it will never carry the same power or wrist structure.

Nonsense. If you think hooks dont have structure/power then id suggest you spend an hour with a boxer.