PDA

View Full Version : burn during exercises

ged
08-31-2001, 02:35 AM
in the gym, theres certain exercises i do which burn almost from the second rep (like hamstring curls) and then theres ones that dont burn, but failure for me feels like im pushing against a brick wall. i cant move the weight, but theres no burn. this is like bicep curl for me, and benchpress until ive done a lot of sets.

is there a reason for this? i like the burning execises better, they make me feel like im working a lot more. maybe its the number of reps? or the amount of months that ive been doing that exercise for?

Sharky
08-31-2001, 03:34 AM
it's like with sit ups. After i've done a couple of sets, i don't get burn in my abs, i just can't do any more! I look like a spastic when doin that.

================================================== ==========================

"What you wan' cry fo? You know that my hammer is heavy and it got kick like tae kwon do, now you gwarn die slow... I'ma show you how to stretch a m0ther****er if you wanna watch tae bo"

stubbs
08-31-2001, 03:41 PM
sharky i'm the same with the situp thing. i made up my own stomach exercise which give a nice burn.

Lay on your back, feet straight and about 6 inches off the ground. same with your shoulders. hands on your head (the same as alot of situp exercises). hold that for a while, then bring one knee up and keep the other leg straight(still 6 inches off the ground). touch your knee with your opposite elbow(you have to situp slightly). then go back down and swap sides. thats the count for one set. do 10 set and don't let your feet touch the ground! when your finished hold the first bit for as long as you can.

phew! it's realy hard explaining things properly. give it a go and tell me what you think.

"satisfaction loses,and humility gains"

prana
09-03-2001, 05:07 AM
the burning sensation is usually associated with lactic acid, caused by workin at round about 40%-75% of your maximum intensity. Usually termed your anaerobic capability.

Failures after one or two reps will not usually incur any burning pain, but means that you are working at probably about 80% or above your maximum intensity, and it depletes ATP in your blood system. Sometimes referred to "fiber recruitment"

Other factors such as your form will come into play, also the specificity of your training. For example, you may be able to push a 60kg mass at 30%-70% elongation of your muscles, and still repeat 20 times before failure, but using that same intensity at 10-20% or 90-100% stretch of your muscle will usualy cause premature failure.

Sounds like you need to make sure you are not overtraining, especially with the "recruitment" exercises. Plenty of rest in between and warm up properly. Or else injury is awaiting you.

Medicine Buddha
om namo bhagawate bekandzyai - guru bendurya prabha randzaya - tatagataya - arhate - samyaksam buddhaya - tayata om bhekandzyai bhekandzyai - maha bhekandzyai bhekandzyai -randza samungate soha

ged
09-03-2001, 08:14 AM
thanks for the reply

im not very good at interpreting the data you gave me though. so the burn is caused by lactic acid formed when im working at around 50 - 70 percent - do you mean 70 percent of my maximum weight? or if u mean intensity, how come if im working at 100 percent, i dont get acid?

thanks if you can clear that up

prana
09-03-2001, 09:05 AM
when you are working at 100%, your muscular storage of ATP is being utilised, and not glycogen reserves.

You will also be developing lactic acid, it is a component of the Anaerobic process, but ATP will need to be replenished, via another compound known as CP.

Not to mention the micro tears you are causing on the muscular fibers that could result in injury.

Medicine Buddha
om namo bhagawate bekandzyai - guru bendurya prabha randzaya - tatagataya - arhate - samyaksam buddhaya - tayata om bhekandzyai bhekandzyai - maha bhekandzyai bhekandzyai -randza samungate soha